Need for new good-quality, competitive maps
New version 0.2 : A at 160cells, B at 128cells.
(Also, added mo's post as WIP / and materia's as abandoned, as discussed in-game. Feel free to correct if any error)
- Reworked ore a little more with a slight increase per player
- Added an additional ore mine per player
- Reworked the centre to be less chokey and more interesting
Things of interest:
Bottom most spawns start with the standard 3 ore mines and have 2 expansion mines.
Uppermost spawns only start with 2 ore mines but have 3 expansion mines.
Upper half of the map is split by a river and contains 4 "safe" ore mines and 1 "safe" gem mine per side. The gem mines are also based near the shore for easy destroyer harassment and buried in ore so they won't produce until cleaned up. 3 additional ore mines are centered in 2 contestable fields.
8 oil on the bottom half and 4 more on the top.
2 hospitals on the top
1 communications center on the top
1 communications center on the bottom but can only be accessed from the river.
2 command centers on the top placed next to the primary ore fields for each side.
2 command centers on the bottom placed next to the river to allow river access without moving an mcv. Also allows access to 2 thin ore mines.
I think this map has a lot of potential for different strategies. expanding to the top seems mandatory but I think there is enough ore on the bottom that a team could try to end it early.
Current status : Published
Link : https://resource.openra.net/maps/29488/
Removed the unwanted spawn of neutral Harvesters.
Capturable buildings : 2 Refineries, 2 Barracks, 2 Oil derricks, and 2 Airfields (with Ukraine's support powers).
Capturable vehicles : 2x (Mammoth + Mobile Gap Gen + Medium Tank). All capturable with Hijackers / Mechanics.
Added capturables : buildings and tanks.
Making middle more capturable / contestable, but less valuable for MCV movement at start.
Same size (140²), reworked expansions : three main lanes, but some overlapping between two adjacent allies.
From 160x140 to 140x140 (removed corner expansions, more balanced)
Changed size : 160x140
Smaller version : from 180x140 to 160x120
Moving armies from the center towards the top and bottom landridges was hard, pathing and performance werent optimal. So i went ahead and create at least 4 tile wide landridges to connect top and bottom instead of the bridges and instead of the small passages.
The broken bridges remain in place.
Current status : published - WIP again, v9
FRenzy's [X] mod maps include :
- Symmetrical refineries accessible by 4 sides (FRenzy, Widow, MustaphaTR)
- Garrisonable buildings. Contain 5 soldiers. Needs to be insta-captured by any soldier. (ELoyros, FRenzy, MustaphaTR)
- Adapted buildings from TS mod (FRenzy)
Frostmourne map :
> Garrisons near the expansion ore patches.
> Capturable buildings : 2x Refineries / 4 Oil derricks / 1x [Barracks + Forward Command] / 1x Airfield (with Ukraine's support powers).
> Capturable vehicles (neutral) : 1x [Heavy Tank + Medium Tank] (near Forward Command). Capture them with Hijackers / Mechanics (husks).
- V9 :
Made [X] mod (especially introduction of TS buildings)
More squared map (narrower).
Removed a few capturables.
- V8 : Added flags when buildings are garrisoned.
Also updated Map Thumbnail with MustaphaTR's new preview tool.
- V7 : Added modded refineries, garrisonable buildings (near ore patches).
Some modifications (reduced the air capture point, changed ore patches.
- V6 : Added cliffs at main bases to separate players + sandbags to protect the bases.
Added strategical capture points (eco, forward base, air + parabombs).
- V5 : ore patches looking better. Down to 395k$
- V4 : reduced a few chokes, more decoration
- V3 : visual changes : more landmarks
- V2 : smaller, more ore
3v3, 150x140, 488k$, 3 starting mines /player + 10 additional mines /team
- V1 : 3v3, 170x140, 353k$, 3 starting mines /player + 10 additional mines /team
Timelapse of the making : (until v4 I think)
Took me around 2-3 hour(for version 1). Maybe 1/2- 1h designing the map on Inkscape / Photoshop, then 2 good hours editing the map in the Map Editor.
Current version : v4
Link : https://resource.openra.net/maps/29487
Map maker : FRenzy
Inspiration : SoScared's "Interference". Suggested idea by wippie.
Tools : SirCake's MapSketchGenerator, Inkscape, Photoshop
- Profoundly changed the structure again :
Pushed the spawns towards the edges. It was difficult otherwise to fit in everything at correct distances ...
- Reduced the capturables a bit (less space taken)
- Changed the structure, same size.
- Added the capturables from the map Frostmourne.
The constested zones are less for ore, more for capturable points.
- Removed unnecessary rules.
- 4p, 128x128, 353k$, 2 oil, 2 hospital, 4 Forward Command. 34 mines, 3 at start per player.
Idea : suggested by wippie to transform 1v1 Interference into a 4pl map. Should work as 2v2 or FFA, so each player faces center of the map.
Analysis of Interference : in terms of lanes / Adaptation for 4p :
Narrower lanes ?
Trees only ?
Mix of the two. Using trees for the interfering waves + redrawn ore patches / Final result :
Human Ambition 2
Map screenshot (obtaining....please stand by....)
Description of yaml/lua changes (included in map yaml files, and a mesage is displayed ingame after you pick the map.
I have to fix a few tiles, and try to make the symmetry purrfect without messing it up. Also, any other changes as necessary.
If my map wins, I want the money donated to a cause.
If you like the map but not the rules, here's a link to the map without any custom rules: https://resource.openra.net/maps/27717/
Maybe I should've used the map tool to draw it out in paint and have the map generated, as I messed symmetry up by not paying attention, although for doing it by hand, it turned out well. IIRC other maps I've made from scratch that are "serious" I made symmterical easily, and I hope to continue to live up to that standard.
A revision will be out soon, at an undisclosed time.
Daybreak - viewtopic.php?p=307706#p307706
Frostmourne - viewtopic.php?p=307761#p307761
I've been inspired by N/a's addition of Adv. PP in his maps to add various capturable elements in these maps.
Particularly in the map Frostmourne, this takes the form of 3 types of strategical points to capture :
- Economy points : 1 (empty) Refinery + 1 Oil derrick
- Outpost points : 1 Forward Command + 1 Soviet Barracks + neutral Heavy and Medium tanks
- Support points : 1 Comm. Center + 1 Adv. PP + 1 Ukraine Airfield with its support powers (incl. parabombs)
I believe this will add more strategical depth to the game. With different advantages given by each capture point, players will have to choose which one they should capture first according to their strategy. This might open more build orders, for instance :
- Capturing the Outpost or the Eco point could allow for earlier tech
- Capturing the Support could allow for a more low-tech, high expand approach
- Not capturing at all, while rushing enemy bases at start
- and their respective counter-strategies ...