Play/Game of the Season

season 3 (spoilers!)

Announcements and discussion about community-run events.
Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Hate to be 'that guy', but someone has to nominate Doomsday for pulling off the cheesiest of cheeses vs. Omnom in Round 1 on Agenda. You can't get more all-in than this play, as Doomsday didn't even bother to build a refinery to back up his gren rush. Sure it didn't require much micro, but I woudn't have had the guts to try it in a competitive match.
"Do not trust the balance tzars (Smitty, Orb). They are making the changes either for the wrong reasons, for no reason at all, or just because they can and it makes them feel good." - Alex Jones

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Added, thanks!
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

Wippie

Post by Wippie »

noobmapmaker wrote: One game, two nominees!

- Lorrydriver vs FiveAces - R06 - Behind the Veil - download
Reason: LorryDriver was immediatly restrained in his original base.
He managed to break free and circumvent FiveAces to evntually win the game.

- FiveAces vs LorryDriver - R06 - Behind the Veil - download
Reason: Throughout the game many examples of excellent micro resulting in minor local victories.
One suggestion from my side: It is very hard to explain "Many examples of excellent micro", as none of these actions have proven to be gamewinning". I just can't see you explaining the actions smoothly on YouTube :).

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Fair point! From the top of my head I recall some minor battles that FiveAces won because of micro, overall he lost because he needed more than that to overturn the difference. IThe micro was visible because of the way units moved, but it will indeed be a difficult one to show properly.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

*bump* - any good games lately?

Don't forget to keep an eye out in the final games and the qualification matches!

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

*bump*

We have entered the last weeks of RAGL season 3! In the recent past we have had some awesome games and there are a couple more tiebreakers/qualifiers to come.

When you are watching these games, please keep the Play of the Season in mind! I will no longer nominate plays because I have nominated enough and I think the players and spectators are the ones who decide that a game or play was awesome and not just me.

So... spectators and players, looking back in these recent games: do you recall that one action that gave you the win? Or that one game that changed everything? Or as a spectator you where saying "NO WAYYYYY".... then do mention that game here!

Lets collect the best of the best so we can make a cool video about the best games in RAGL Season 3!

Examples of possible play/games of the season: excellent micro, an amazing comeback, really close or hardfought games, just a very entertaining game, extreme luck, a freak accident or inventive ways of using units.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

This comeback cannot not be nominated...

- Juicebox vs Happy - Hidden path - several maps
Reason: Being two games down things looked bad, but Juicebox returned from the grave by taking 3 games in a row.

I will silently withdraw this submission because its the Play/Game of the season and this is a serie of games. A great comeback for sure, but for practical reasons its not feasable to include this in a compilation, and as said I like to limit this 'prize' to single games.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Season 3 of RAGL has come to an end!

It has been a great season and the league has grown again both in quantity and quality. Making Season 4 even better and bigger will be a challenge without SoScared, but let us keep up the good work and carry on what he has started.

So, about the play of the Season 03: I will give you all untill the 25th of August to keep nominating games that have been played because I will be vacationing untill then.
After that Ill make a video of the nominees - and Ill try to be a whole lot faster this time! Before the end of September we will be voting and prizes will be paid.

Quick note: I have withdrawn Happy's Juicebox's comeback from the Play of the Season, because this is about plays and comebacks within a single game. Another big reason is that its harder to edit all those games in a short video. However, if you guys find a crucial moment in one of these games then I'll gladly add that very moment and will comment verbally about it being a Bo5 comeback.

In summary:
- Keep nominating untill the 25th of August
- I will produce a video before the 23rd of September
- 1st of October we will have a winner!
Last edited by noobmapmaker on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

3.Lucian

Post by 3.Lucian »

My play of the season nomination is Mint Spokesman vs Bluejay on Behind the Veil.
Great parabombs timing and angle obliterates a blob. very satisfying.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Need more info! The round and preferably a link to the replay.

IronScion

Post by IronScion »

Link: https://www.gamereplays.org/openra/repl ... st10019467

Recruit Alpha round 1. Also noteworthy because Bluejay had the opportunity to destroy the airstrip but didn't take it.
"Each denomination in the new series of banknotes will feature a different species of Australian wattle" - Mint Spokesman

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Added!

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

Given that this topic is being neglected and that I have only watched R9-R11 that are not yet represented in nominees, I have 2 potential candidates to observe:

1. RAGL-S03-MINIONS-R11-SIR-LUC
~3:30 Masterfully executed MCV execution by Sir Cakealot, that Mobile Flak positioning was a joy to behold. This and #2 gave Sir Cakealot points needed to be promoted to Masters, well done!

2. RAGL-S03-MINIONS-R11-LUC-SIR
Sir Cakealot goes wild again in this doube-pronged grenadier-engineer attack around 3:20 which obliterates lucassss' base. This and #1 gave Sir Cakealot points needed to be promoted to Masters, well done!

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Thanks, added! Im going to look through them and produce a video asap!

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

Maps are "Agenda" and "Green Belt" respectively btw