How to fix Infantry unit size in OpenRA

Red Alert mod

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Aner1181

Post by Aner1181 »

Nukem wrote: Sniper unit was created manually using the SHOK unit as a template for the animation frames, simply scaling the unit down %50 or so won't give desired results without it looking funny like how JOo had suggested, you'd have to manually re-size the unit for it to look correct.
Can you suggest how to do that? What software should I use? 8)

fernoe

Post by fernoe »

aneyrin wrote:
Nukem wrote: Sniper unit was created manually using the SHOK unit as a template for the animation frames, simply scaling the unit down %50 or so won't give desired results without it looking funny like how JOo had suggested, you'd have to manually re-size the unit for it to look correct.
Can you suggest how to do that? What software should I use? 8)
you can use SHP editor, but you'd have to redraw nearly every single pixel. SHP editor can be found here http://www.ppmsite.com/?go=shpbuilderinfo

since it's based off of the shock trooper and the shock trooper is based off of the flamethrower infantry, you might be able to use the TD flamethrower infantry SHP and use SHP editor's recolor function to quickly change the uniform and gun to a different color, although you'd still have to edit out the backpack.

sylandro

Post by sylandro »

I have the opposite question, is there any way to enlarge the Tiberian Dawn sprites to RA/D2K size?

Ever since RA came out it seems that it was Westwood's intention to leave realistic scales in favor of making the infantry easier to identify. RA, D2K, TS, RA2, et al have had unrealistically giant soldiers.

Canavusbis

Post by Canavusbis »

sylandro wrote: I have the opposite question, is there any way to enlarge the Tiberian Dawn sprites to RA/D2K size?

Ever since RA came out it seems that it was Westwood's intention to leave realistic scales in favor of making the infantry easier to identify. RA, D2K, TS, RA2, et al have had unrealistically giant soldiers.
Write a script for ImageMagick or something similar and have it resize each frame to the desired value, then feed them back into OpenRA.Utility or another converter.

sylandro

Post by sylandro »

I've resized the TD infantry to the same size as RA. In some sprites, some pixels were lost in order to preserve the original SHP size (50x39), but here they are, in case somebody wants them.
Attachments
OpenRA_LargeInfantry.zip
Replaces the TD infantry with larger, resized sprites
(315.74 KiB) Downloaded 261 times

Mor60

Post by Mor60 »

What about using Scale property at RenderSprites trait for Infantry units ?