Help, Exception of type `System.Exception`:

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
raymundo

Help, Exception of type `System.Exception`:

Post by raymundo »

Hey

I'm getting: Exception of type `System.Exception`: Actor type `e6` does not define a death animation for weapon with damage types ``

Ive seen this error come up time to time on my custom map ( http://resource.openra.net/maps/3998 )

Is there something to look for, or a solution for this? Any help appreciated, thanks!

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

We have a utility command to automatically check for problems in maps. Run this from a terminal and it will tell you what weapon needs to be fixed (and possibly other errors that you don't know about).

Code: Select all

OpenRA.Utility.exe ra --check-yaml path/to/your/map.oramap

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Anybody feels like explaining step by step how to run such a utility program?

What is a terminal? How to open the utility? etc.
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach »

Terminal is the command-line window. I personally don't see what's there to explain - you open a terminal window in your OpenRA folder (on Windows, the easiest method would be thttp://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/27778-ope ... -here.html if you use Explorer, typing cmd in the text bar below the folder windows in Total Commander, Linux file managers usually have a button on their taskbar to open a terminal at the location) then launch OpenRA.Utility - which is in your OpenRA folder - and read the messages it spews out.

Generally you'll figure out that you end up with an OpenRA.Utility <modname> <command> <additional parameters if needed> command after the first five minutes.

On Linux, you might have to start it like ./OpenRA.Utility.exe because that's how Linux is set to default.
AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2

raymundo

Post by raymundo »

I've tried to run this utility before on mac and i always get this: -bash: OpenRA.Utility.exe: command not found

I have seen the actual .exe in the package contents of openra.app but cannot run it.

this is what i entered into terminal

OpenRA.Utility.exe ra --check-yaml /Users/Raymond/Library/Application Support/OpenRA/maps/ra/radioactive.oramap

its also suggested to me to put 'mono' before it, like this:

mono OpenRA.Utility.exe ra --check-yaml /Users/Raymond/Library/Application Support/OpenRA/maps/ra/radioactive.oramap
that gives me : Cannot open assembly 'OpenRA.Utility.exe': No such file or directory.

thanks

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach »

Try ./OpenRA.Utility.exe ra --check-yaml /Users/Raymond/Library/Application Support/OpenRA/maps/ra/radioactive.oramap.

The issue with Linux and - I guess Mac falls into this - is that unlike Windows, these OSes does not contain the local folder in their $PATH variable, thereby without the ./ prefix they trying to locate OpenRA.Utility in some specific system folders/etc.

raymundo

Post by raymundo »

thx, going off what you said i put the actual file path to it and it seems to run, but its having trouble with reading the yaml now. going to mess around with it.

mac osx

this is what i did:

mono /Applications/Gaming/OpenRA0612.app/Contents/Resources/OpenRA.Utility.exe ra --check-yaml /Users/Raymond/Library/Application Support/OpenRA/maps/ra/radioactive.oramap

edit: i needed to link to the .yaml not the oramap, so I used:

mono /Applications/Gaming/OpenRA0612.app/Contents/Resources/OpenRA.Utility.exe ra --check-yaml /Users/Raymond/Library/Application Support/OpenRA/maps/ra/radioactive/map.yaml

but this error came:

Error: Failed with exception: System.InvalidOperationException: Required file map.yaml not present in this map
at OpenRA.Map.AssertExists (System.String filename) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Graion Dilach wrote: Terminal is the command-line window. I personally don't see what's there to explain - *snip*
Thanks! Im not a fool with computers, but some very basic things I dont know as I lack experience. What is given and logical for some needs a bit of explanation for others :)

A goodf example: I had no idea where to get the .yaml for a map. The little bit of information that an .orarep file has to be unzipped did the trick... but if you dont know...

Really hope that more people are willing to write little simple guides for various things regarding modding (of maps).

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach »

As once a RA2 veteran modder said - modding is an art. When you have to write guides for every little thing, you've lost the creativity of it.

There are those things which one should figure out on their own. Especially considering that OpenRA as a platform changes dynamically and one has to maintain a sync for efficient modding.

I personally despise step-by-step guides, although I acknowledge they are necessary in some cases - especially considering that most of the OpenRA modders are pretty much developers themselves and the ones who're thinking of switching engines from the Westwood originals aren't the frequent ones here.

Still, any guide I'd write today - unless it's a "how to use the old modding tools with OpenRA" - will need to be adapted at a later case. Best examples are at the tutorials in the wiki, they were written two years ago, and most of them refer to tags/setups which were changed/deprecated since then. You can follow their principles, but most example code wouldn't work today without adoption.

You end up better if you open the official mod, look at the Traits/Traits-playtest wikipage and figure out what does what from them.

And honestly, beyond the trait documentation, and some example mapmodding, like Fort Lonestar/campaign missions, you should not rely on guides. Any question you'd have would be answered there, just learn how to read them. And that's the best advice I can give for you regarding this.

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

raymundo wrote: thx, going off what you said i put the actual file path to it mac osx

this is what i did:
mono /Applications/Gaming/OpenRA0612.app/Contents/Resources/OpenRA.Utility.exe ra --check-yaml /Users/Raymond/Library/Application Support/OpenRA/maps/ra/radioactive.oramap
Try just

mono /Applications/Gaming/OpenRA0612.app/Contents/Resources/OpenRA.Utility.exe ra --check-yaml /Users/Raymond/Library/Application Support/OpenRA/maps/ra/radioactive
(without .oramap).

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Graion Dilach wrote: As once a RA2 veteran modder said - modding is an art. When you have to write guides for every little thing, you've lost the creativity of it.

There are those things which one should figure out on their own. [...]

[...]

Still, any guide I'd write today - unless it's a "how to use the old modding tools with OpenRA" - will need to be adapted at a later case. [...]

You end up better if you open the official mod, look at the Traits/Traits-playtest wikipage and figure out what does what from them.

And honestly, beyond the trait documentation, and some example mapmodding, like Fort Lonestar/campaign missions, you should not rely on guides. Any question you'd have would be answered there, just learn how to read them. And that's the best advice I can give for you regarding this.
Sorry for going offtopic, Raymundo :)

Agree to alot, but also disagree. Mostly agree that one should learn by reading and understanding mission yamls and lua's and indeed some guides get old quickly.

But many things wont change and a guide on several small things would be helpfull.

Like:
- how to build a map with only units (no MCV)
- how to force options on a map
- how to add structures that are Neutral or owned by a player
- how to change the health of structures that are built into the map
- how to force spawns into teams
- how to change aspects of built units (e.g. make light tanks stronger on a certain map)
- how to allow unlimited tanya's or nukes
- how to add ingame text
- how do triggers basicly work
- what abbreviations for actors are used (a list)

Admittingly, most of those questions are very basic and can be answered by reading current missions or threads on the forums. Yet still it would be nice to have some central place (alot of information is spreaded) where people can post guides on doing such things. They would help me understanding modding and from there one can adapt those concepts into their own creative ways. When I got more time on my hand and I udnerstand more of the modding then Ill write some of those guides myself.

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach »

noobmapmaker wrote: - what abbreviations for actors are used (a list)
OpenRA/modname/rules. Read. Notice that every IDs starting with ^ are just templates. This is the finest example where I say that the other shouldn't even mod if this is beyond his capabilities.
noobmapmaker wrote: - how to build a map with only units (no MCV)
- how to force options on a map
- how to add structures that are Neutral or owned by a player
- how to force spawns into teams
- how to change aspects of built units (e.g. make light tanks stronger on a certain map)
- how to allow unlimited tanya's or nukes
- how do triggers basicly work
Fort Lonestar has all the answers for the above. The Tanya/Nuke part needs some figuring out, but again, the Traits or the Traits-playtest are your friends.
noobmapmaker wrote: - how to change the health of structures that are built into the map
Open your map, look at the place where the map actors are listed and add Health: like

Actor0&#58; aban06
      Location&#58; 54,-15
      Owner&#58; Neutral
      Health&#58; 100      #percentage of the maximum HP the actor can have
noobmapmaker wrote: - how to add ingame text
D2k missions, look for Mentat's responses.

No need for a guide in either case, really.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Thanks for the post! When I got time on my hands and I've figured things out then I'll write a bit of a guide for such things.

Canavusbis

Post by Canavusbis »

noobmapmaker wrote: Thanks for the post! When I got time on my hands and I've figured things out then I'll write a bit of a guide for such things.
I will probably deprecate it if it isn't updated often enough to support modding from playtest to playtest, so be prepared to update it maybe each release or more often. The guides usually only stay relevant for a quarter year.