Not finished/ its a lot of Work
If not, I will replace the repetitive grass tiles with a random selection of clear1.tem. So every single piece of the cobble stone files would have unique grass on it's edges.
What I did:
- I used openra.utility.exe --png to convert CombineC's files to .png
- I edited them using Gimp. Therefore I imported temperat.pal and haven't had any problems yet editing and saving the files.
- I used openra.utility.exe --shp to convert the edited files back to .shp
No problems so far. The files appear in the map editor as well as in game.
Now I started filling the grass parts with black color and converted them as always.
The files look right in the preview window of the map editor (red square 1). They even look right while positioning them with the mouse (red square 2). However as soon as I leftclick to place it on the map the black part appears (red square 3).
So I tried something else: I used the XCC Mixer to extract cr1.tem from termperat.mix, copied it to the bits folder and added it to temperat.yaml. Now the same thing happens: It looks right in the preview window, it looks right while moving it around with the mouse. The black parts appear as soon as it is actually placed on the map.
- cr1.png (48.96 KiB) Viewed 18537 times
- black.png (42.77 KiB) Viewed 18537 times
You would need to set this up as an overlay layer like the resources or smudges if you wanted it to render on top of the underlying terrain.
However looking into the discussion at https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pull/3549 I get the feeling that this is futile work and a waste of time. Don't get me wrong. Criticism and suggestions are always welcome. I will take them into consideration. However it seems to me the climate of opinion is that this doesn't fit at all to red alert.
I really would like to know if there is at all the wish to add those cobblestone streets to ra. If not there's no need for me to put time and effort into this…
A bit more variation in maps would be great, but I have a feeling that there won't be many maps with this.
With all the work and effort already put into this, though, I'm more wondering if it isn't more suitable for perhaps an original mod..
These are the files I've been working on when the plug was pulled. There are still tiles missing that I've already drawn as PNGs but not converted yet (i.e. bridges).
- I changed the color of the cobble stone. The new darker color is similar to the color of bridges.
- I massively changed the size of horizontal and vertical roads. The vertical roads are now 1.8 times the size of the horizontal ones. The reasons for this are explained here: http://www.sleipnirstuff.com/forum/view ... 83&t=16500
- In order to get rid of repetitive tiles I created up to 11 different variations of each tile:
- Some of the variations do not show up in game. They look right in the map editor but appear as black tiles in game.
- Due to the fact I resized the roads the houses CombineC created don't fit anymore to the streets. I will fix that in the near future by editing the SHPs of those structures.
What I haven't done:
- At GitHub it was suggested to replace the dirt with the already existing one like bibs or roads. I tried that but it did look ugly. So I rather keep the dirt I created. IMHO the transition between cobblestone and grass looks better with the dark dirt I created.
- screenshot.png (124.03 KiB) Viewed 18318 times
- (41.67 KiB) Downloaded 629 times