[Mod] Taco's RA [1.04]

A rebalance of the current OpenRA Red Alert + new units

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.

Which faction are you most excited to see in the future?

German
38%
African People's Army
19%
Operation Group Echo (pre-GDI)
44%

Total votes: 16

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

Yeah, it uses kind of an old version for the game, sorry about that. To be fair, the newest version really doesn't offer much except snipers and boom boom trucks =P.

And my progress to updating the mod has progressed! I got all of what I think should work done, however, it throws me a "System.IndexOutOfRangeException" whenever I try to run my mod, so I dunno what that is.

The full exception can be seen here, and the source I'm using as the mod you can find here. Any help would be appreciated, as it leads to a much quicker upload!

Code: Select all

Exception of type `System.IndexOutOfRangeException`: Array index is out of range.
  at OpenRA.FileFormats.PlayerColorRemap..ctor &#40;System.Int32&#91;&#93; Ramp, ColorRamp c&#41; &#91;0x00000&#93; in <filename unknown>&#58;0 
  at OpenRA.Traits.PlayerColorPalette.InitPalette &#40;OpenRA.Graphics.WorldRenderer wr&#41; &#91;0x00000&#93; in <filename unknown>&#58;0 
  at OpenRA.Graphics.WorldRenderer..ctor &#40;OpenRA.World world&#41; &#91;0x00000&#93; in <filename unknown>&#58;0 
  at OpenRA.Game.StartGame &#40;System.String mapUID, Boolean isShellmap&#41; &#91;0x00000&#93; in <filename unknown>&#58;0 
  at OpenRA.Game.LoadShellMap &#40;&#41; &#91;0x00000&#93; in <filename unknown>&#58;0 
  at OpenRA.Mods.RA.RALoadScreen.TestAndContinue &#40;&#41; &#91;0x00000&#93; in <filename unknown>&#58;0 
  at OpenRA.Mods.RA.RALoadScreen.StartGame &#40;&#41; &#91;0x00000&#93; in <filename unknown>&#58;0 
  at OpenRA.Game.InitializeWithMods &#40;System.String&#91;&#93; mods&#41; &#91;0x00000&#93; in <filename unknown>&#58;0 
  at OpenRA.Mods.RA.Widgets.Logic.ModBrowserLogic+<LoadMod>c__AnonStorey11E.<>m__2C3 &#40;&#41; &#91;0x00000&#93; in <filename unknown>&#58;0 
  at &#40;wrapper delegate-invoke&#41; <Module>&#58;invoke_void__this__ &#40;&#41;
  at OpenRA.FileFormats.ActionQueue.PerformActions &#40;&#41; &#91;0x00000&#93; in <filename unknown>&#58;0 
  at OpenRA.Game.Tick &#40;OpenRA.Network.OrderManager orderManager, OpenRA.Graphics.Viewport viewPort&#41; &#91;0x00000&#93; in <filename unknown>&#58;0 
  at OpenRA.Game.Run &#40;&#41; &#91;0x00000&#93; in <filename unknown>&#58;0 
  at OpenRA.Program.Run &#40;System.String&#91;&#93; args&#41; &#91;0x00000&#93; in <filename unknown>&#58;0 
  at OpenRA.Program.Main &#40;System.String&#91;&#93; args&#41; &#91;0x00000&#93; in <filename unknown>&#58;0 
Oh, and by the way, very nice icons as always, Baron!

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

Seriously, I need a little help debugging this xD I have no idea why this would be happening.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

ColorRamp error suggests (to me at least) that it's a problem in either Settings.yaml or some random map file where preset player colours are being used (possibly a mysteriously corrupted shellmap?).

Try deleting settings.yaml and see if that helps. If not... well I am out of ideas!

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

Okay! Fixed that error by fixing some smaller differences in system.yaml I missed; however, now I'm getting errors about sounds and voices.. Really odd that it doesn't tell me exactly what file its got a problem with. Am I the only one? Anyways, it'll be a lot of debugging between here and 2.0

OH MY GOD IT FINALLY WORKS... But shadows are green. What. xD

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

i was getting all sorts of errors for voices when I was using your previous upload as a codebase. I'm now fooling around updating bits and pieces for use with 1104 (which so far hasn't exploded in my face at all), but I will keep most additional things in new .yaml files in a lazy attempt to keep things clean and easy to shift around.

As for shadows being green, I think you've managed to balls-up the alpha stuff for shadows somewhere in one of the mod yamls.

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

Yeah.. I dunno what's up with the shadows. I also fixed most sound issues, I believe. But snipers can't garrison and some other minor things. It crashes when the demo truck detonates.

Any help with fixing these problems would be greatly appreciated. My most recent kinda-working thing is posted here.

Don't use it unless you're crazy.

Oh, and if you are crazy and try it, please tell me if I'm the only one with green shadows :P It could just be my graphics card or something. Not to mention I'm running on Kubuntu Linux :P

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

Yeah, I looked at the shadows thing under "system.yaml" and it only says that Alpha = 140, but no red, green, or blue is present, so I dunno where the problem with the green shadows could be. It's also displaying on my Kubuntu laptop as well as my desktop, so it's not just my desktop's graphics card. I'm stumped.

Anyways, I figured out why the demo truck explosion was so powerful it crashed the game. I didn't carry over the "mininuke" weapon from RA.

chrisf

Post by chrisf »

That `alpha` value is how transparent to make the shadow. There's a *separate* control for which palette entries are to be replaced with the shadow color -- see current RA (&D2K?) yamls for how it works.

Matt

Post by Matt »

I updated the documentation at https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/wiki/P ... 5bf14545fe for all the changes I made to the engine.

Also fixed your mod at https://github.com/Mailaender/OpenRA/tree/taco-ra You can now fork this at GitHub or download it as a Zip-File.

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

I love you. No homo.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! I'll take that, thank you very much =D

Okay, back on track now. I'll release this as 2.0 beta or something to get people off my back about "IT DOESN'T WORK", and then we'll continue to update the African faction as needed (: I'm excited to be back on track now with all the technical update crap.

@BaronOfStuff, could you get me a chrome yaml and GUI files for the APA so it doesn't look like the APA (beta) are a shitty branch of the Soviet military? Thank you =D
And anything else I can work on would be cool, too =] I always enjoy getting a bundled package of things from you. But a little note for what everything is would be nice, too. Even though figuring out what goes to what is always fun =P. Seriously though, thank you. You make this mod possible.

@Cmd Matt, You're my savior xD

Matt

Post by Matt »

tacozmeister wrote: and then we'll continue to update the African faction as needed
You might also be interested in the desert terrain we add to the RA mod in https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pull/2445 Get it at https://github.com/Mailaender/OpenRA/tree/desert

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

Besides, obviously, adding terrain/desert.yaml and updating mod.yaml, is there anything else I need to modify to make this desert terrain work?

Also, are there any maps that could go along with this already that aren't specifically tied to Dune 2k or CnC? I don't think that the maps directly from there would work due to tiberium/spice rather than ore.

Thank you so much =D

Matt

Post by Matt »

tacozmeister wrote: Besides, obviously, adding terrain/desert.yaml and updating mod.yaml, is there anything else I need to modify to make this desert terrain work?
I also changed some stuff related to the engine to make this work. Unless you want to recompile yourself and ship the new binaries with your mod, ask chrisf if he merges this and releases a playtest.
tacozmeister wrote: Also, are there any maps that could go along with this already that aren't specifically tied to Dune 2k or CnC? I don't think that the maps directly from there would work due to tiberium/spice rather than ore.
This has nothing to do with the ARRAKIS tileset from d2k. It might also be incompatible to the original CnC DESERT tileset. Compatiblity with the other RA tilesets was a long-term goal by Harisson, but I doubt it has been achieved yet. Safest way is to create new maps with the OpenRA Editor.

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

Right, so, finals are coming up and I have tons of things to do for that, so I can't really work much on it.

But I'll upload what I have. There's no desert stuff because I feel really douchey petitioning the creator of everything I base off of for a change that really only assists me.

It would be wonderful if BaronOfStuff could this file, add in the GUI changes, and upload it again (: After that gets done, I'll be able to begin working on adding more units and yadda yadda yadda. Maybe also upload more of the shps you've been working on for units? Thank you!

Anyways, thank the rest of you for contributing. It really means a lot to me! Here's the file, since Dropbox is often more reliable than this site for uploading stuff. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/91743020/tacoRA ... BETA_1.zip

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

I'm getting fucked left right and centre on Doom project deadlines at the moment (fuck you 2012, you've been fucking horrible!) so I'm going to be occupied for at least another week.

After that though I really will have more than enough time to get back on this -- I'll see what I can deliver in the meantime though.