[Mod] Taco's RA [1.04]

A rebalance of the current OpenRA Red Alert + new units

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.

Which faction are you most excited to see in the future?

German
38%
African People's Army
19%
Operation Group Echo (pre-GDI)
44%

Total votes: 16

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

tacozmeister wrote: Oh! Duh. File sound not found, "tanks.aud". It's probably called something else
TANK5. That's a 'five'. Artillery gunfire sound.
tacozmeister wrote: planning on giving this orca to be a bomber-esque kinda thing, like how I want to add in an A10 or Badger for a high-leveled bomber. If you can get me an A-10, I think I'll add in some kinda napalm bomb thing for it. Otherwise, I'll use the classic parabombs :P
I attempted to turn the A-10 into some sort of indiscriminate blanket-bomber to deal with incoming enemies... Jesus Christ was it noisy. Deafening, you could say. I have a colour-swapped Badger which is ideal for use as a bomber too. I'll tear the shit out of my XCC directory tomorrow and dig up as much as I can find.

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

Alright x] Fine by me. Take your time! I'll just set up the YAML and perfect this amazing tank destroyer. Maybe I'll add a tank for both teams called a "Main Battle Tank" with the MBT you sent me. Maybe it'll be more expensive. I wonder if you can have a front-facing machine gun and a primary and secondary weapon on the turrets, for a total of three guns. I doubt it, but that'd be cool for the MBT. Coaxial machine gun, rocket launcher, AND turret. But yeah, you're a life saver. For realz. I feel this mod is actually going somewhere xD

And a loud bomber would be fine. Fear factor. Or burst the enemy's ears. Works. =P

EDIT: No, sadly, you can only have a primary/secondary on the same device. Sigh. I'll come up with an idea for my MBT soon enough.
EDIT: MBT Done (: Just need a Cameo.. The white piece is now a 25mm grenade pod. A tank can still be destroyed with 3 bazookas, but it does more damage than a medium tank MG! Oh, and it has slightly more health than a medium tank.
EDIT: Tried making my own cameo; failed. I got far enough as to running the file and I have a valid .png image, does the image have to fit within some parameters I'm unaware of? (i.e. does it have to be 16x16, square, etc?)

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

I say give the Allies the MBT, to compensate for their default lack of heavier units. I've got all sorts of nonsense and bollocks to scatter around for both factions anyway, probably even enough to make a very basic third faction with too. As for that cameo and other whatnot:

http://speedy.sh/Tu76S/EvenMoreORAStuff.zip

There's other stuff in there too. I plan on reworking the 5TNK icon, that's a stand-in that I never got around to improving (although it looks relatively fine, which is probably why I still haven't updated it).

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

Do you have a picture of any of these? And can you explain more of these units? I under stand Commando(icon), A10(icon), 6tnk(icon), but not the mrk2, 5tnk, and maag. Also, a picture'd be awesome, too, so I know what I'm dealing with before I implement them into the game.
For now, I'll start adding in the Commando and A10 and add the Tank Destroyer icon.
EDIT: Commando has frames different from the frames of CnC's commando, can you give me a "sequence" for it? Same with the A10. I dunno how to do sequences x)
EDIT: Scratch the commando out of there, I gave him Tanya's sequences and voila.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

Ah. Well...

5TNK: TD Light Tank. I used it as a Soviet scouting unit. Cameo in the zip is better than the one in the image, although not by much.
MAAG: Mobile AA-Gun. Uses the MRJ as a chassis base, with a severely cut-down AA Gun as a turret. I cloned and edited the Flak Truck definition for best results.
MRK2: TD Mammoth Tank. I converted this when messing with importing RA95 maps, in an attempt to recreate "Monster Tank Madness", but that was over a year ago now -- back when SP missions were pipe dreams.

A-10 sequences:

Code: Select all

a10b:
	idle:
		Start: 0
		Facings: 16

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

Hmm.. Should I give soviets both the mammoth tank AND mammoth tank mk2, or should I give the allies one?
Every time I say "mammoth mark II" I think of the AT-AT-esque walker from Tiberian Sun.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

tacozmeister wrote: Hmm.. Should I give soviets both the mammoth tank AND mammoth tank mk2, or should I give the allies one?
Every time I say "mammoth mark II" I think of the AT-AT-esque walker from Tiberian Sun.
Give it to the Soviets, but with more prerequisites than the standard and a ramped-up cost (but without making the original Mammoth an obsolete unit -- quite tricky to manage). Even if that means a new building... such as FCOM. The FCOMMAKE SHP can be found here. No cameo that I know of, but I can probably get something together at some point. Failing that, there's always that triple-domed Important Looking Building that doesn't actually do anything.

And one reason why I called it the MKII is to try and erase that dirty AT-AT thing from my memory. Urgh, I really didn't like all those Mechs and Walkers in TS.

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

BaronOfStuff wrote: And one reason why I called it the MKII is to try and erase that dirty AT-AT thing from my memory. Urgh, I really didn't like all those Mechs and Walkers in TS.
Amen. I think I'll add it, and give the original Mammoth machine guns instead of rocket pods and re-add in (better) rocket pods for MKII. Right now, getting the other vehicles working. Many, MANY thanks! Got an helicopters? Gotta balance out the A10.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

Still working on the Comanche, turns out that I got lazy halfway through and haven't removed the turbines in every image. I'll upload that and the original Orca when done, most likely Friday at the earliest.

I would upload the TD Apache, but it's exactly the frigging same as the RA Longbow... fuck!

The hunt continues for a suitable 'one machine gun' Helicopter for the Allies. I could mess with greying the remap-colours and adding colour-bands on the tail or something, but we'll see.

You could leave the standard homing missiles on the Mammoth (simply because the SHP still has the pods, and to give it some AA), but for the MKII make them scatter some super-explosive 'dumbfire' rockets that just go in the general direction of the target's location and make a massive bang on impact, causing all sorts of pain for anything unfortunate enough to be in the area. In a way, something similar to the MLRS in the TD mod.

No AA of course, but one hell of a way to put off a basic 'unit rush'.

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

BaronOfStuff wrote: You could leave the standard homing missiles on the Mammoth (simply because the SHP still has the pods, and to give it some AA), but for the MKII make them scatter some super-explosive 'dumbfire' rockets that just go in the general direction of the target's location and make a massive bang on impact, causing all sorts of pain for anything unfortunate enough to be in the area. In a way, something similar to the MLRS in the TD mod. .
I feel like I should listen to your unit opinions more often, because that sounds absolutely badass. Yeah, I'll keep the AA capability of the tusk and pump up the turret's damage to compensate. Then I'll add the MKII to be a basic bulldozer.
Oh, and take your time with that Comanche. I don't think I'll be done for a while. So far, this is absolutely awesome. When 1.03 rolls out, I'll stamp your name somewhere close to the top :P I owe you a lot.
With so much anti-infantry on tanks, I think I'm gonna make all infantry cheaper, too. :D We'll see.

matt555666

Best Mod I have EVER gotten

Post by matt555666 »

this is the, by far, best mod i have seen so far...It's really great! btw the tank destroyer looks awesome in the pic, cant wait for it...I hope the Mammoth tank MKII will be as awesome as i hope...keep up the good work!

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

Uploaded newest version, 1.03, including all units so far. It's awesome.

matt555666

Post by matt555666 »

1.03 is HERE...I love the mammoth MKII and the tank destroyers KICK ASS hardcore...ADV medium tanks have noobtubes and I am lovin' it! thanks keep going on this...

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

Fuckin' hardware problems... if this hasn't fixed it I don't know what's going on.

Anyway, the MkII isn't exactly what I had in mind. Add 'BurstDelay: 0' directly under the Burst parameter in the MKII's rocket weapon def. THAT is what I was thinking of, and not quite as inaccurate or feeble versus Heavy armour -- this is the biggest toy the Soviets have, a 'Super Unit' if you will; it's got to be a real hard-ass of a tank.

Everything else though is shaping up very well, with my only other gripe being the armour on a Tank Destroyer (too high), although the very short range of its gun offsets this somewhat. Nice work!

tacozmeister

Post by tacozmeister »

Alright, I kinda like that idea. I'll have that mammoth burstfire set to 0 and the accuracy either turned down a bit OR the count increased. Also, damage reduction, damage vs. heavy increase, all that jazz. This tank is gonna be one to be feared. Also, turn radius +1 (not quite as good as the MkI) will be implemented.
I hope there will soon be a way to implement a limit on unit count, like Tanya and Mammoth Tank MkII. And refineries. More than 5 is too many. Especially for AI.