Can't Load Mods

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
LEGO

Can't Load Mods

Post by LEGO »

Hi,
I've downlowaded several Mods from the forum, Taco's RA [1.04], D2K Rounded Edges, C&C Meets Star Wars.
But Taco's RA [1.04] and D2K Rounded Edges crushes while loading the mod, C&C Meets Star Wars crushes while starting a single player game.
What's wrong?

BTW: the origin C&C, RA, D2K works fine.

Matt

Post by Matt »

Guess you are using an incompatible OpenRA version that breaks compatibility. Use the version the mod makers specified.

As most mod makers use copy paste instead of a revision control system where you can simply rebase onto the latest branch and merge the changes, this will stay a problem. I already suggested to include d2k rounded edges: https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pull/2476 You might be able to see the improvements in the next playtests. Maybe we should also put Star Wars and Tacos RA onto GitHub.

LEGO

Post by LEGO »

Thank you Matt.
However these Modders didn't indicate the OpenRA version they work on...

And, some other questions just arised, yet being minor ones, not worthy to start a new topic, so I'd like to put them here:
1, does anybody also feels that the units are over active? in a close engagement units tend to run away on themselves and get lost. Is there any fix, or unit behavier countrol?
2, the tank turrets' facing problem: after shooting something the turrets always points to that direction regardless the movement and turn of the tank. Any plan to fix it?
3, all long range weapons shoot in to enemy hiding in fog of war. This ruins tactics.
Is it possible to make them only auto engage enemy insight? Or if that cannot be done, I'd rather like them to be totally manual controled than totally automatic.

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

LEGO wrote: Thank you Matt.
However these Modders didn't indicate the OpenRA version they work on...

And, some other questions just arised, yet being minor ones, not worthy to start a new topic, so I'd like to put them here:
1, does anybody also feels that the units are over active? in a close engagement units tend to run away on themselves and get lost. Is there any fix, or unit behavier countrol?
2, the tank turrets' facing problem: after shooting something the turrets always points to that direction regardless the movement and turn of the tank. Any plan to fix it?
3, all long range weapons shoot in to enemy hiding in fog of war. This ruins tactics.
Is it possible to make them only auto engage enemy insight? Or if that cannot be done, I'd rather like them to be totally manual controled than totally automatic.
1 & 3:
You can cycle through various stances for selected units with 'Z'. Attack Anything (default), Hold Fire, Return Fire, and Defend. Defend is probably the stance you want for most units -- they'll attack anything that moves within range of their own weapon, but hold their position. This is closest to the default unit behaviour in C&C/RA95. As for units firing at units that are in range but not visible, I think this is being worked on.

2:
This is something that grates on me ever so slightly, but it's hardly gamebreaking. More of a trivial visual issue. It can be changed in the unit definitions with 'align idle turret' (or something like that, the Tiberian Dawn mod uses the correct trait). Maybe it can be changed to be the default behaviour in a future revision too.

LEGO

Post by LEGO »

Good to hear that. Thx BaronOfStuff.