OpenRA - GameEngine - Missing Trait descriptions

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Ronald

OpenRA - GameEngine - Missing Trait descriptions

Post by Ronald »

Hello OpenRa developers
I'm currently learning more about the various Trait which the OpenRA GameEngine is able to process / handle.

I've downloaded these pages (snapshot date 18-09-2020) and manually parsed them into various Spreadsheets and Mindmaps:
- https://docs.openra.net/en/latest/release/traits/
- https://docs.openra.net/en/latest/release/weapons/

This helps me personally to better be able to understand:
1 - The (massive!) amount, sort and types of Traits and Weapons currently present in OpenRA
2 - The <Trait_u> requires <Trait_w>, <Trait_x>, <Trait_y>, <Trait_z> relationships

Currently (21_09_2020) I have created:
- 1 (big) mindmap only with those Traits which require 1 or more other Traits. (see attachment_1)
- 1 "flat" spreadsheet, which lists all available Traits and there required other Traits. (see attachment_2)

I've found 533 unique traits, which are spread out over
- Generic Traits which can be used in any MOD
- Specialized Traits which only designed to be a specific OpenRA MOD (CnC, RA, TD)

Status so far:
- 125 traits - which do not have a basic description at all.
- 13 traits - only have a description like "Add this to an X,Y,Z (actor, world...)[/b] without describing its functionality.[/b]

QUESTION:
Can someone add at least a basics description to those 125 + 13 missing traits ?
I have marked the missing description Trait-lines red in the attached PDF file.
Attachments
OpenRA_Traits_Dependancy_tree_v4_21_09_2020.jpeg
OpenRA_Traits_Dependancy_tree_v4_21_09_2020.jpeg (377.42 KiB) Viewed 293 times
TRAITS_DEPENDANCY_OVERVIEW_FLAT_V00_MISSING_COMMENTS_21_09_2020.pdf
(194.45 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Last edited by Ronald on Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

lawANDorder

Re: OpenRa - GameEngine - Missing Trait descriptions

Post by lawANDorder »

> Can someone add at least a basics description to those 125 + 13 missing traits

You could.

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash »

lawANDorder wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:06 pm
> Can someone add at least a basics description to those 125 + 13 missing traits

You could.
So could I, or you, or anyone else. Doesn't mean said description will be correct. I assume you need to understand what each parameter / attribute actually does before adding a description.
Proud C&C fan since 1996.

Ronald

Post by Ronald »

Whiplash wrote:
Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:30 am
So could I, or you, or anyone else. Doesn't mean said description will be correct.
I assume you need to understand what each parameter / attribute actually does before adding a description.
@Whiplash - "If one wants to find out how stuff really works, always learn directly from it's source_code." - (c) A wise hacker
matrix_solution.jpg
matrix_solution.jpg (31.47 KiB) Viewed 186 times
I've already downloaded the OpenRA Source and MOD SDK packages, so that is where I will be digging next.
This is going to be an interesting journey, looking under the hood of the OpenRA GameEngine itself