FORUM - "File too large" error when uploading attachments

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Ronald

FORUM - "File too large" error when uploading attachments

Post by Ronald »

Hello OpenRa Forum Admin(s)
This error has happened way too often to me when creating a new posting on this forum:
openra_forum_file_is_too_large_error.jpg
openra_forum_file_is_too_large_error.jpg (14.84 KiB) Viewed 237 times
Apparently somebody has set a filesize_limit to the attachments / images which can be uploaded, for various reasons.
Unfortunately: After scraping this forum for a while - I still am not able to find the exact:
- maximal upload "image resolution". (maximum number of pixels_horizontal x pixels_vertical)
- attachment file size.................. (in KBytes. MBytes).
- attachment file type................. (jpg? bmp? gif? .txt? ).

The only thing - regarding attachments - I could find was this over here:
- help/faq#f9r0

REQUEST
Can you write this attachment-size-limit down somewhere (in the Forum FAQ or Sticky thread) since it is seriously annoying to keep "trail-and-erroring" in order to get one's images accepted on this forum. A crystal-clear "maximum filesize / resolution" table would be very helpful (for example):

Attachment Type - maximum resolution:
BMP - hor x vert number of pixels
JPEG - hor x vert number of pixels
JPG - hor x vert number of pixels
GIF - hor x vert number of pixels
PNG - hor x vert number of pixels
TXT - max amount of characters

SirCake

Re: FORUM - "File too large" error when uploading attachments

Post by SirCake »

Hey,
you can resize your images in paint. Also if you save as .png that is much more size effective than .bmp (very bad)or .jpeg.
If you want to go out of your way to reduce file size, you can open a RA/TD/D2K screenshot with gimp and change the palette to 8-bit colour, that will save a shit ton of kb when saving an image (quality is the same since RA/TD/D2k only use 256 colors).

See
SirCake wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:04 am
this post (hit the small arrow after "wrote:")
where I did use 8-bit palette to reduce file size.

Cheers

Ronald

Re: FORUM - "File too large" error when uploading attachments

Post by Ronald »

Thanks for the tips Sircake, but I already know how to resize / export any type image in Gimp.

What I want to know the FILESIZE-LIMIT above which this [File to Large] error occurs. Now this limit is unknown.
if this gets (finally) documented somewhere (for example toe forum FAQ, then I know how to adjust my images accordingly.