"Kill Unit" hotkey

Self-destruction

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Post Reply
User avatar
JOo
Posts: 510
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:12 pm

"Kill Unit" hotkey

Post by JOo »

in Age of Empires you could kill your own units at will by just selecting it and press "Del" on your keyboard ... that also worked with a whole group of units...

i was wondering what effects such a hotkey would have in RedAlert (or TD, D2k)

so one effect it could have is ... you could make a vehicle useless for an enemy hijacker

another effect would be to block space for expansion ... for example killing a harvester (or severals) full with ore on a location where you dont want your enemy to expand quickly

you could also just use cheap vehicles that leave "husks" just to block your enemy temporary from moving his units in a specific direction ... for example on maps with already tight passages , canyons, bridges

any thoughts ?

User avatar
Clockwork
Posts: 314
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:50 am
Contact:

Post by Clockwork »

killing Tanya with units on one side of the map to rebuild her on the other side is a tactic I use a lot. Suiciding units are always good and I approve :)

eskimo
Posts: 332
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:59 pm

Post by eskimo »

As a pre game option i like it, but as default not so much. Undeploying your mcv before first ref is bad enough let alone your army going boom :lol:
However doesn't seem game breaking on first thoughts.

User avatar
avalach21
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:01 pm

Post by avalach21 »

JOo wrote: in Age of Empires you could kill your own units at will by just selecting it and press "Del" on your keyboard ... that also worked with a whole group of units...

i was wondering what effects such a hotkey would have in RedAlert (or TD, D2k)

so one effect it could have is ... you could make a vehicle useless for an enemy hijacker

another effect would be to block space for expansion ... for example killing a harvester (or severals) full with ore on a location where you dont want your enemy to expand quickly

you could also just use cheap vehicles that leave "husks" just to block your enemy temporary from moving his units in a specific direction ... for example on maps with already tight passages , canyons, bridges

any thoughts ?
I think this is a bad idea. It has never been a function in a C&C game before and in my opinion, has no place in the game. It also doesn't make much logical sense as every vehicle wouldn't be pre-fitted with an explosive device and a self destruct button (unless they were demo trucks lol). If for some reason you want one of your units killed then force kill it with another nearby unit.

I imagine the main intention for this function in a game like AoE or Warcraft/Starcraft etc. would be for when you have a population/food/supply cap and you want to free that up by removing units from the play field. This isn't a factor in classic C&C gameplay.

As for the use-cases you mentioned: So the hijacker is one of the most underused units in the game.. lets introduce a mechanic that was never in a C&C game to make the most underused unit in OpenRA go from 99% underutilized to 100% worthless..

All the other situations you mentioned can be achieved (if you really wanted to) by force killing your own unit at the desired location. If you want to to pull that kind of stuff off then you better have the micro for it. That's my opinion.

User avatar
JOo
Posts: 510
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:12 pm

Post by JOo »

avalach21 wrote: I think this is a bad idea. It has never been a function in a C&C game before and in my opinion, has no place in the game. It also doesn't make much logical sense as every vehicle wouldn't be pre-fitted with an explosive device and a self destruct button (unless they were demo trucks lol). If for some reason you want one of your units killed then force kill it with another nearby unit.
dont forget the "Devastator"-Tank from the Harkonnen
avalach21 wrote: I imagine the main intention for this function in a game like AoE or Warcraft/Starcraft etc. would be for when you have a population/food/supply cap and you want to free that up by removing units from the play field. This isn't a factor in classic C&C gameplay.

As for the use-cases you mentioned: So the hijacker is one of the most underused units in the game.. lets introduce a mechanic that was never in a C&C game to make the most underused unit in OpenRA go from 99% underutilized to 100% worthless..

All the other situations you mentioned can be achieved (if you really wanted to) by force killing your own unit at the desired location. If you want to to pull that kind of stuff off then you better have the micro for it. That's my opinion.
And now its my opinion too , cause it makes sense :)

lucassss
Posts: 144
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:55 pm

Post by lucassss »

This may end up too useful as a way to deny bounties to the enemy.

User avatar
avalach21
Posts: 214
Joined: Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:01 pm

Post by avalach21 »

lucassss wrote: This may end up too useful as a way to deny bounties to the enemy.
I agree, but I also think bounties should not be in this game. I realize they have the option to disable them coming in the next release but imo it should be disabled by default.

ApornasPlanet
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:16 pm

Post by ApornasPlanet »

would be cool the delete aircraft when they are above infantry

Post Reply