Negative veterancy levels

Just a minor idea

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Assist

Negative veterancy levels

Post by Assist »

Hello guys,
Just an idea i thought about and decided to share it for discussion, if you're interested.

Negative veterancy level is called handicap in other RTS games.

I was thinking of this for some time and might be an interesting thing to add for more enjoyable (as a new crate goodie to oppose levelling up veterancy) and somewhat logical way to balance husk capture and hijacking a vehicle. Say you hijack or capture a vehicle, you would have it with handicap level of -1 (or maybe-3)
Ok from my experience, and I am likely have biases, I feel repair man is slightly overpowered like what some Germans do with medium tanks chrono attack. To me, both repair man and thief are like engineer in old C&C. Maybe the game engine doesn't support that, but I thought it would be logical for a thief or repair man to be less experienced than the original tank driver, hence the handicap.

So for example if one veterancy level is +10% increase in range and power fire, a one handicap level is 10 % decrease in range and fire power.
So maybe three levels of handicap just like three levels of
A handicapped unit can be levelled up and becomes neutral then veteran. It's not a permanent thing and would level up with experience.
The icon for handicap could be a small skull.

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

Retreiving a husk needs the good timing and from the few case i have come across playing this game i alwais felt it was deserved. The low health of the vehicule when it is brought back to life is enought annoying to not add a stat reduction.

Highjacking a vehicule is so buggy that the ones who manage to do it, really deserve it as well.

So no, I'm not in favor, you risk a hight cost unit (mechanic/highjacker) on the battlefeild with most of the time a negative outcome and loss of the money, the few time you suceed to gather the conditions to actually capture/revive a vehicule, it should not be a crippled one.

3.Lucian

Post by 3.Lucian »

I think the idea of a debuff is interesting, it's just a question of where it might be implemented meaningfully.

perhaps one debuff could be if a spy infiltrates a power plant, it can only output 90% of its peak power from then on?

perhaps we could make a brand new unit called the saboteur, and they could go around debuffing all sorts of stuff, production speed, damage output, :D

Materianer

Post by Materianer »

I also like this idea, i remember in original RA some or maybe all units had a debuff when they was damaged.
They moved a bit slower and maybe had a longer reload delay.