Adapt unit characteristics in-game ?

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
FRenzy

Adapt unit characteristics in-game ?

Post by FRenzy »

Just had a thought about map making,

Is it possible to change a unit's characteristics (speed, view range, ...) in-game, according to weather changes ?

I was thinking about making a desert map, where sand storms randomly happen during the game, drastically reducing the vision of all units (actually mainly scouts like air units, ranger (sth like a tank's vision), and even disabling GPS !), thus blinding both players. This could allow some sneaky movements, ambushes, etc ...

Also, this might reduce the infantry speed, due to the wind blow, therefore rendering blobs temporarily less useful (or changing their usage), and forcing for a different gameplay (more tanks or artillery based ? aircraft ? ) ...

Could do the same with snow maps, temperal maps (with heavy rain) (or even night/day cycles ??)

So, if anyone knows if this is possible, let me know :)

Probably won't be able to work on it right now, so if someone wants to steal the idea, feel free !! :lol:

SirCake

Post by SirCake »

You can. Sometimes.

There is no way I know of to dynamicaly change any values in-game.
But you can activate/deactivate any trait with <RequiresCondition>. Fortunately for you, <RevealsShroud> can have a required condition. So you cound make 2 versions of RevealsShroud on an actor and apply a condition to the actors while they are in the storm.
Basicaly one RevealsShroud trait would have <RequiresCondition: storm> and the other <RequiresCondition: !storm> .

Happy coding ;P

FRenzy

Post by FRenzy »

Thank you for the hint, I might look into it later on ;)

avalach21

Post by avalach21 »

cool idea buddy :-D

FRenzy

Post by FRenzy »

My (dormant) YouTube channel : FRenzy OpenRA
Join the map-making train here