Paras should keep their ranks

High command decides paras are valuable, sends better men

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
GeneralMelon_gone

Paras should keep their ranks

Post by GeneralMelon_gone »

Another suggestion.

If paras die, the next paras will have the same ranks as the old ones. This will make paras slightly more useful over time all the way to late late game.

Rate and discuss

EDIT: Maybe you could give an option to instantly activate the paradrop for $5000 too. It's very expensive for 5 soldiers but might be good in certain situations.

camundahl

Post by camundahl »

I'd say just make them max rank. They seem almost useless at the moment unless you really catch your enemies ore trucks off guard for a long time.

zinc

Post by zinc »

They tend to be an annoying distraction, and that may be useful if you have other plans at the same time. They can also be used alongside other attacks, so they probably will not kill a nuke by themselves, but if they could maybe do a little bit of damage before they are killed, and then you combine with parabombs or whatever.

My own idea for improvement, would be to allow you to build up multiple drops over time, that potentially could be used all at once. Maybe limit it to like 3 or 5 as a max limit you can have stored up at one time.

Or another perhaps worthwhile idea I have seen, would be to allow the player to send their own selection of 5 troops into whatever building, and they would be the troops that got dropped. That would be a significant increase in power with 5 flamers or rockets or maybe an engi in the mix. Maybe even Tanya in team games.

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

Paradrops are quite effective at harassing distant unprotected structures and supply chains. Two rockets there can easily kill several ore trucks while you keep your opponent occupied. At the same time they can do the opposite - distract the enemy for a period of time and even lure his forces out of the way for your main attack vector.

Saying all that, it should be noted that paradrops are situational due to plane approach vector. Still, making them max rank or even allowing flamers, engie or Tanya into the mix will make paradrop too OP - such paradrop will level the whole outskirts base for 0 transportation cost and opponent won't be able to do anything. See this as chronosphere, only units don't get back in 20 seconds.

JOo

Post by JOo »

avalach21

Post by avalach21 »

Paratroops are fine as is. Just my opinion :-)

Materianer

Post by Materianer »

Yes they are good and will not more be forgotten so often with the new "reinforcements have arrived" sound notification in future.

Already inside the new Playtest.

Come in and test you lazy RA players :D

zinc

Post by zinc »

netnazgul wrote: Paradrops are quite effective at harassing distant unprotected structures and supply chains. Two rockets there can easily kill several ore trucks while you keep your opponent occupied. At the same time they can do the opposite - distract the enemy for a period of time and even lure his forces out of the way for your main attack vector.

Saying all that, it should be noted that paradrops are situational due to plane approach vector. Still, making them max rank or even allowing flamers, engie or Tanya into the mix will make paradrop too OP - such paradrop will level the whole outskirts base for 0 transportation cost and opponent won't be able to do anything. See this as chronosphere, only units don't get back in 20 seconds.
I don't think it would be *that* powerful. You would have to pay for the units and could easily lose them to a simple pill box or air units. I doubt it would be better than having parabombs.

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

it would also be annoying to utilize, hard to code and still random to deploy in battlefield

camundahl

Post by camundahl »

netnazgul wrote: it would also be annoying to utilize, hard to code and still random to deploy in battlefield
But max rank paratroops wouldn't be hard ;)

Just for testing purposes..... on the release .

zinc

Post by zinc »

netnazgul wrote: it would also be annoying to utilize, hard to code and still random to deploy in battlefield
The "random to deploy in battlefield" would be another reason it wouldn't be especially powerful. You could lose them all to AA if the plane comes from the wrong direction.

Why do you think it would be annoying to utilize? You could just use the standard free 5 troops if you wanted. So same as before. Or otherwise you send 5 troops into an airstrip or whatever to get dropped instead. It shouldn't be that much of a hassle.

Would I actually recommend this change? Probably not for the game as it is now. But if there is ever the non-original step of giving us a third Soviet faction, it could be a good special ability that would add some distinctiveness to the faction.