[RA Balance] Light tanks

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
lucassss

[RA Balance] Light tanks

Post by lucassss »

I've played a bit with light tanks in the new playtest maps (t-isle 2.6). While I understand why their range was increased, I don't understand why their fire ratio was reduced (damage was increased to compensate). while the reduced ratio tanks have a better "first strike" ability, they also feel less flexible to me, because I can't change targets as quickly.

What are your opinions about these changes?

Frame_Limiter

Post by Frame_Limiter »

Well, just to be clear this is a very non-official rule edit that was done by myself.

The idea was borrowed from SoScared's playtest map where he doubled the reload delay and doubled the damage for the light tank. I found it a little too slow, so I went with 50% instead.

Overall I like the light tank having a rate of fire that is less similar to the flak truck, yet still relatively fast.
-- If you'd like to test out a different value let me know.

Thanks for your input Lucassss!

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

In a stream some weeks ago we did a playtest with a "german light tank" where its' properties was boost with a 10% increase vs heavy armor and 20% vs light armor. Price increased from 700 to 800. Players tried to exploit the buff but found the change to be negligable, even when swarm hunting ore harvesters.

The reduced ratio simply makes the light tank looks less silly. With exception to vs Ranger and Flak trucks, the quick re-targeting doesn't play a big factor when the damage output is on par with a pea shooter.

What if we combined the 100% reduced ratio with the damage buff?

lucassss

Post by lucassss »

And the artillery, you forgot the artillery, which is the most important target imho (:

Kwendy

Post by Kwendy »

SoScared wrote: Players tried to exploit the buff but found the change to be negligable, even when swarm hunting ore harvesters.
Wich is natural since it's 15% price increase with 10% damage buff.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

@Kwendy: You're right off course. I was sort of short selling the idea to make up for the reduced fire rate but the actual buff with the same price is in unknown territory.

I'd love to test out a +10% vs heavy and +20% vs light armor some time tho. With the +1 sight range we're already seing light tanks sneaking it's way into the meta but its like it just barely can't do its task well enough to make it worthwhile as infantry support. I'd suspect +10% vs heavy armor would barely be noticable but +20% against light vehicles could make it significantly stronger vs Jeep, Flak, Arty and V2's as well as hunting down unprotected MCVs (light armor) like the Flak currently does. It could also give Allies an extra incentive to go Radar Tech first vs Soviet knowing one can better hold off Flaks and V2's with the Light Tank.

The reduced fire rate and to some degree the +10% heavy armor buff would be more of an aesthetical motivated buff to take a step away from its' image as a silly RC vehicle.