Resource Centre and Hetzners down

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
zinc

Resource Centre and Hetzners down

Post by zinc »

They going to be back up soon?? What's the issue?

newwe

Post by newwe »

The lack of maps on all the servers+ the fact that when people local host it says unknown map often is really hurting my (and probably others) interest in OpenRA. Hate complaining about a free game you all work hard on but this is a big problem.

squirrel

Post by squirrel »

Atleast now there´s no more Great Divide... all vanilla maps :)

zinc

Post by zinc »

squirrel wrote: Atleast now there´s no more Great Divide... all vanilla maps :)
I know some people don't like "divides", but quite a few people do. You can always open up a different map if you want to play something else.

Two 'divides' seem to have become standard maps:

(1) "God's Great Divide Fixed" (I still don't know how it was fixed exactly??) Anyway that seems to have taken over from the original "Great Divide" map which is hardly played anymore.

(2) Small Divide 2

JOo

Post by JOo »

divides are for kids and retards

zinc

Post by zinc »

JOo wrote: divides are for kids and retards
Seems like a childish or retarded attitude...

BaronOfStuff

Post by BaronOfStuff »

He has a point though. Divides are by far the least interesting map designs, with little to no obstacles on the terrain. Just flat, crap and featureless, with bundles of resources for both sides.

zinc

Post by zinc »

BaronOfStuff wrote: Divides are by far the least interesting map designs
The fact that they are relatively simple designs doesn't mean that there isn't strategy in play to beat the other side. Maybe they lack certain elements compared to some maps, but so what? You can enjoy playing on different map types. Something like Small Divide 2 may not have the strategic possibilities of larger open maps, but if you are getting some fun and intense fire fights out of the map...

There is no reason to be snobbish over maps. (Not aimed at you personally.) If you don't like it then just play something else.

PersianImmortal

Post by PersianImmortal »

zinc wrote:
BaronOfStuff wrote: Divides are by far the least interesting map designs
The fact that they are relatively simple designs doesn't mean that there isn't strategy in play to beat the other side. Maybe they lack certain elements compared to some maps, but so what? You can enjoy playing on different map types. Something like Small Divide 2 may not have the strategic possibilities of larger open maps, but if you are getting some fun and intense fire fights out of the map...

There is no reason to be snobbish over maps. (Not aimed at you personally.) If you don't like it then just play something else.
Race to chrono
Spam arty
Maybe basewalk if the other team sucks and race to nuke
Divide maps fucking blow. Let's not kid ourselves here. They're terrible.

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

PersianImmortal wrote: Race to chrono
Spam arty
Maybe basewalk if the other team sucks and race to nuke
Divide maps fucking blow. Let's not kid ourselves here. They're terrible.
I have to agree here; divide maps are always one-sided, have one angle to attack from, all come down to who ever gets the first nuke and chrono and are just one big arty basewalk - there is a need for some quality maps that can have more than 6 people playing on them.

zinc

Post by zinc »

Murto the Ray wrote: divide maps are always one-sided
A lot of games on any map are one-sided because it all comes down to the random luck of who ends up in what team. I don't see why that's a particular problem for divide maps?? I have certainly played close games on them.

zinc

Post by zinc »

Murto the Ray wrote: all come down to who ever gets the first nuke
Some truth to that. But first nuke(s) can win it for you on a lot of maps quite a bit of the time anyway.

If I'm playing someone that I know rushes nukes then I have a couple of options. Firstly, I could rush an attack and try to take them out way before they get a chance to use it. Or secondly, I rush a nuke myself knowing that we will get them at a very similar time and therefore nukes will probably not be the deciding factor. Or if it is going to be, then it will come down to taking out the enemy nuke or taking out enough of their power that they don't get to use it in time.

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

zinc wrote:
Murto the Ray wrote: all come down to who ever gets the first nuke
Some truth to that. But first nuke(s) can win it for you on a lot of maps quite a bit of the time anyway.

If I'm playing someone that I know rushes nukes then I have a couple of options. Firstly, I could rush an attack and try to take them out way before they get a chance to use it. Or secondly, I rush a nuke myself knowing that we will get them at a very similar time and therefore nukes will probably not be the deciding factor. Or if it is going to be, then it will come down to taking out the enemy nuke or taking out enough of their power that they don't get to use it in time.
The problem is that on a great divide map you have so many units concentrated into such a small area that all nukes tend to be heavily defended in some way or another so its very difficult to take them out compared to in a normal game. This also allows any nuke to create considerable damage to any position in the map; especially the front where there must be units at all times unless you get pushed back.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

I've had some really tense games on the divide! games where I was sure we were lost, but won after a huge ststruggle.

newwe

Post by newwe »

I'm in the divides suck group - they also seem to lag at a much higher rate than other maps.