Thoughts on changes to helis in the latest release

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
zinc

Thoughts on changes to helis in the latest release

Post by zinc »

Helis are now taking longer to build and cost more, and are more easily destroyed. (I think that is all correct anyway.)

I'm not so sure about the change myself. I used to rush air sometimes. It probably wasn't the best way to play, but it was one viable way to play which had certain advantages and you might get an early kill out of it. It wasn't anything that couldn't be defended against however.

With the changes to the game it seems like one build strategy has been taken away, so less variety to the game.

I think that air probably was overpowered against soviets, but the answer to that, or part of the answer anyway, would be improved SAM imo. Mobile flak is now pretty killer whereas a couple of releases back they were utter crap and you could take them out with helis with little problem.

zoidyberg

Post by zoidyberg »

I haven't seen swarms of choppers come flying in since this change has been made.

JOo

Post by JOo »

before we nerfed the hinds it was ridiculously easy to rush with em ... now while its nerfed a lot of people seem to be fine with it ... including me ... (and im playing allies only)

hind is still Meatgrinder #1 against infantry , they still work as suicidal-bombs ... ... awesome scout ... awesome picking up specific targets on the ground ...

good soviet players always take out the hinds first , because they are aware of deadly "hind-arty"combinations ... and always backup their army with 1-2 squads of rocket-troops ... or 2-3 flak trucks ...

Hinds are the Allies "Eyes" before gps is up !

price and builtime is equal to soviets yaks ... which makes them perfectly balanced

its supposed to be a "defending unit" not a "rush unit" ...
but its still possible to take out buildings , you dont need 10+ hinds for that

zinc

Post by zinc »

JOo wrote: price and builtime is equal to soviets yaks ... which makes them perfectly balanced
Didn't yaks used to be cheaper? Maybe 800 compared to 1000?

JOo

Post by JOo »

both hind + yak cost 1350 now ... and both did cost 1000 in the past

scorp

Post by scorp »

there's a few oddities with air Units in the new playtest. For example i don't understand when and why they land on their pods and when or why they circle around instead.

at Allies, i tend to have a mechanic between my Heliports to repair incoming damaged helis. When they don't land on their pads, they aren't repaired. Also seems a bit annoying in cases of microing them one by one.

I guess the change in behaviour was made to avoid issues with building more air units than available Heliports?

zoidyberg

Post by zoidyberg »

JOo wrote: before we nerfed the hinds it was ridiculously easy to rush with em ... now while its nerfed a lot of people seem to be fine with it ... including me ... (and im playing allies only)
pretty much! nerfing the hinds makes it harder to win with a single tactic. :)