Swap The Range AND Ownership of Artillery and V2?

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Prince Blueblood

Post by Prince Blueblood »

r34ch wrote:
RealAlert wrote: The range swap is needed because Allies close combat is weak, they need the range advantage.
That's like saying;

'Allies are OP early game, but Soviets are OP late game. That's balanced'.

If soviets have some advantage at some tier in the game, surely it would be more logical to buff the allied units at that tier that no ones using.
And Soviets also still OP at the Opening stage of game, so that's kinda cancel itself out

* grenadier rush *
* flamethrowers in APC rush *

Basically yes, they're succeed or die type opening move, but still, unless your enemy specifically prepares for their coming...

So yeah, Mass Mammoth steamroll = Soviet Win as well, but that practically requires you to hold most of the ore regions as well as making freakton of war factories... and Allies are not exactly OP early to mid game either... just don't forget to tech for Yaks for spotting and the Soviets will be a ok...

I Merely suggest to swap V2 and Arty ownership and range because they seem counterintuitive to use instead of able to be intuitively used by someone after playing most other RTS games (which put rocket artillery as longer ranged, but slower to reload type of artillery)

*cough* RA2 *cough* RA3 *cough* Zero Hour
OpenRA Nicks :
- Everything with "Blueblood" inside
- Yuelang (when I speak Chinese, literally)

My Ping might be Red... blame distance and my shitty connection due to which country I lived in...

squirrel

Post by squirrel »

Prince Blueblood wrote:
Murto the Ray wrote:
squirrel wrote: We could nerf the artillery attack to be effective against infantry and buildings (like it is right now) but chickenshite against armored vehicles (medium tanks, heavy tanks, flaks...).
I also think that the delaying time of the arty should be increased a little bit more, so the arty gets the same range (needed for the Allies strat) but with a slower timing hit.

Maybe we can buff grenadiers so their grenades would be super effective against artys, and not that ridiculous damage they do to all tanks (grenadiers need a speed-throwing buff)
I think that's a workable idea and would encourage allies to not use only artillery but tanks as well
maybe, because in 75% of games I put myself into, the Allies only build arty, choppers, and infantry. And especially freakton of arty later on...

And Soviet Tanks are too expensive to be produced en masse... and to weak in few numbers to charge through artillery line, unless you secure air supremacy...

Bro, do you even Flak? :eek:

Prince Blueblood

FlakTruck is good for counter arty IF they aren't protected by competent infantry groups.

I usually use Yaks to spot and blast artilleries from air, but yeah...
OpenRA Nicks :

My Ping might be Red... blame distance and my shitty connection due to which country I lived in...

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

Prince Blueblood wrote: FlakTruck is good for counter arty IF they aren't protected by competent infantry groups.

I usually use Yaks to spot and blast artilleries from air, but yeah...
While playing as both allies and soviets I dont think ive ever been in a match where flak trucks have defeated artillery apart from in circumstances where you are also doing something else such as harassing ore harvesters with migs.

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

christian wrote:
While playing as both allies and soviets I dont think ive ever been in a match where flak trucks have defeated artillery apart from in circumstances where you are also doing something else such as harassing ore harvesters with migs.
You haven´t? I see that happen all the time especially efficient if you use iron curtain on 5 flaks.
I should have clarified that better; i don't think i have been in a match where an allied player has lost as a direct cause of all their artillery being taken out by flak trucks - they can always keep pumping them out and generally it ends up in stalemate if a soviet player only focuses on destroying the arty because anti-arty units, such as flak trucks, aren't very good at continuing the attack through the enemy's lines.

r34ch

Post by r34ch »

Prince Blueblood wrote: * flamethrowers in APC rush *
Soviet cheese aside,
Prince Blueblood wrote: Allies are not exactly OP early to mid game either... just don't forget to tech for Yaks for spotting and the Soviets will be a ok
I personally have a gripe with the balance on small maps. Basewalking arty / rs / hind combo seems to be really hard to counter early, as well as hind / destroyer / cruiser mid.

Having played both sides for a number of games now, I can honestly say on small maps it is much easier to win early as allies, and win late as soviets. In med / large maps when both sides tech to mid tier before the heavy fighting, I don't find the balance between the two that bad - apart from when allies aggressively arty basewalk.

Perhaps I should just accept that and choose the faction solely dependant on the map :(

Prince Blueblood

hey, flaming cheese is a perfectly valid opening move :lol:

It works best on rematch, when your opponent think you're going air supremacy again and invest in AA guns... before ragequit over five flamethrowers torching their con yard.
OpenRA Nicks :

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

r34ch wrote:
Prince Blueblood wrote: * flamethrowers in APC rush *
Soviet cheese aside
Hey, flamer rushes are a completely valid tactic ;)

r34ch wrote: Perhaps I should just accept that and choose the faction solely dependant on the map :(
Or maybe there should be less small maps and more big maps with spawns far away!

Prince Blueblood

oh well, are we in any need of 2/4 players map with long distances between spawning points? so no rushes? *opened openra editor again*
OpenRA Nicks :