"Smooth" zooming

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
avalach21

"Smooth" zooming

Post by avalach21 »

Hi. I have been wondering if this is something that has been discussed before and more so, if it is something that would be possible in the OpenRA engine? I enjoy how you can double the pixels and "zoom in" and then "zoom out" by turning off the pixel doubling. I figure it would be harder to get things to scale properly and look correct in a 2D engine vs a 3D engine, but I am wondering if someone who has an understanding of the inner workings of the engine can tell me if it is possible to have smooth zooming in and out. To clarify, this would mean rolling the mouse wheel in and out would gently zoom in and out and give you a great degree of zoom options rather than just 2.

lucassss

Post by lucassss »

I remember asking in the past about whether we can get all view modes that are supported in spec mode. I was told that it's not trivial to enable it for normal game play as well. Please note that if you are running on linux you can use the OPENRA_DISPLAY_SCALE environment variable to get a crazy zoom out or in...

SirCake

Post by SirCake »

I think this is a feature request... which is, btw in the wrong place. Go to Github.com/openra and request features there. There the developers might notice your request.

The thing with the zoom is, that in openra everything is pixel perfect. So integer zoom by factors of 4 is easy to do (like pixel doubling). But.. for scrollable zoom openra would have to buffer all the pixels into a virtual window and then dynamicaly resize this window. It does this with the DPI rescaling, but, this is only static as of now.
Last edited by SirCake on Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

avalach21

Post by avalach21 »

SirCake wrote: I think this is a feature request... which is, btw in the wrong place. Go to Github.com/openra and request features there. There the developers might notice your request.

The thing with the zoom is, that in openra everything is pixel perfect. So integer zoom by factors of 4 is easy to do (like pixel doubling). But.. for scrollable zoom openra would have to buffer all the pixels into a virtual window and then dynamicaly resize this window. It does this with the DPI rescaling, but, this is only static as of now.

Btw Lucasss,I am still waiting for a sensible reply from you on my RAGL challenge... -.-

Thanks for the info :-) I am aware of the feature requests on GitHub, but I wanted to first see if it has been discussed before or if it is already planned, and also wanted to see if it was even feasible to implement it with the way the engine works. Exactly as to what you are saying, since it is a 2D based engine, I imagine scaling could be weird, so I wasn't sure how much of a challenge it would be to implement. Also, changing the way zooming works could in effect change gameplay to some degree, so I figured I would start a discussion here first to see what people think, see what's been done/discussed before etc before adding another (possibly redundant) request.

lucassss

Post by lucassss »

avalach21

Post by avalach21 »

ahh awesome i think i now remember reading this discussion before now that you link to it. Thanks! Seems like there's been some extensive work into it so far. Looking forward to it being implemented in a future release :-)