Version: 0.95 - Two maps now!
I've been working on a Lua map for a while now... and here it is:
Renegade 2D - Control a single unit in a shared base with your team; pilot vehicles, defend your base, and destroy the enemy!
Alpha map (version 0.95): https://resource.openra.net/maps/31296/
Bravo map (version 0.95): https://resource.openra.net/maps/31297/
Gameplay is based on the first person shooter C&C Renegade.
- Up to 24 players (12v12), GDI vs Nod.
- Control a single unit in a shared base with your team.
- Stand near base buildings to make purchases.
- Base buildings provide various benefits to your team.
- Vehicles require a pilot to be operated; many vehicles hold multiple passengers.
- Engineers can repair vehicles, buildings, and disarm beacons.
- Purchase beacons to call in a delayed superweapon strike.
- Gathered resources are distributed among your team; you have your own wallet.
- Earn $ for your team by purchasing a harvester and gathering resources.
- Earn $ by damaging or killing enemy units and structures.
- Win by destroying the enemy base!
It might crash, it might lag, and it's barely balanced!
There are several Lua hacks to make things work, and bugs.
- Game balance adjustments.
- Alpha map: Fixing the base layout, and moving the tiberium fields closer.
- Bravo map: Fixing where the dead weapons factory/airfield re-inforcement transport flies in.
- Buildings should leave behind a husk when they are destroyed.
- GDI and Nod harvesters should respawn at the same time (airfield currently penalizes Nod for this).
- Locking newly purchased vehicles for a brief period of time, so teammates cannot steal your vehicle (enemies always can).
- Before the engine can support exiting another player's vehicle, I may be able to add an "Unload Passengers" button, available to all vehicle passengers (keeps the driver in the vehicle).
- Map lobby option to rebuild destroyed buildings.
- Map lobby options for victory conditions.
- Adding Orca & Apache.
- Adding a death cam.
Thanks for trying it out
A new version of the map is available -- I fixed the two issues you found, and a couple more.
I agree it will be hard at times to find enough TD players. I am hoping on the weekend to get a bigger group going.
On a related note, an RA version of the map is in the works (a ways off) which might have it easier to find players...
This was a lot of fun, there are some issues but people like it. Rebuild buildings? Auto harvesters sometimes freak out and stop working, Options for fog should be restored. Anyway we keep playing and finding bugs. Nice work.
The new version is a lot more unstable, just had 2 crashes, 1 random, 1 after placing nuke.
I'm glad for the feedback and interest so far on this game mode. Please feel free to share any replays of the newer version when it's out. Spectating or replays are busted on 0.90.
I'll be able to play this weekend, since timezones work against me right now.
0.93 is now available, here are all changes since 0.90:
- Fixed spectating and replays crashing
- Point and Credit reward calculations when healing friendlies or damaging enemies have been adjusted (increased in general)
- Added Fog of War map option
- Updated the starting cash options (100, 300 (default), 600, 1000, 2000)
- Updated stealth tank tool-tip to explain how their cloak works (same as C&C Renegade)
- Updated building tool-tips (in the defense tab), which explains icons as being informational only and having no effect if built
- Enemy beacons can now be disarmed (as was intended)
- Beacons now flash more intensely as they near the end of their countdown
- Fixed beacons exploding when disarmed
- Fixed beacons lingering in the fog of war when destroyed
- Empty vehicles, if shot at, will no longer chase you
- Fixed AI Harvesters getting stuck in a "searching for tiberium" loop in some cases
- Fixed AI Harvesters providing no reward when killed
- Various units with already-custom weapons have had their weapons improved: Engineer (Repair/Heal), GDI Grenadier, GDI Commando, Nod Flamethrower, Nod Chemsprayer, GDI MLRS, Nod Artillery, Nod Flame Tank
End of changes.
For balance, I'm watching replays and hearing feedback. I am interested in seeing how larger games play out. It is worth noting this map has a contrasting play-style with the TD mod.
I'm glad people are trying and also enjoying this map. Thanks everyone.
There is log
- (1.38 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
I watched the replay of that game. Your engineer was killed but its dead body managed to enter a humvee (that shouldn't happen). So when you unloaded the transport, the game crashed.
This is an engine issue so a fix will rely on a new OpenRA release. But I can add a check to the map that should prevent this particular crash.
Alpha map (version 0.94): https://resource.openra.net/maps/31273/
Bravo map (version 0.94): https://resource.openra.net/maps/31274/
Changes in 0.94:
- Added Helipads to both maps; Helipads allow for purchasing Transport Helicopters
- The penalty for buying infantry / vehicles / aircraft when the respective building is lost was reduced from double cost to +50% cost
- A short cooldown has been added between purchases to prevent accidental clicks
- Changed the starting cash options (100, 300 (default), 600, 900)
- The scoreboard now places the winning team at the top
- Added a proper mission victory/failure screen
- Fixed a crash that occurred after the game ended
- Added a camera to successful ion and nuke strikes
- Fixed the player name that shows when beacons are disarmed
- Added a workaround for the dead passenger crash
- Fixed infantry being unable to damage neutral vehicles in some cases
- Fixed "harvester under attack" notifications being triggered by repairs
- Transport Helicopter - unit added. Air units can be targeted by major defenses, vehicle machine guns, and rockets
- Harvester - cost increased slightly, health increased
- Stealth tank, Flame tank - health increased
- Artillery - projectile speed increased, accuracy increased, vision increased
- MLRS - vision increased
- Husk explosions no longer hurt allies
- Base buildings being auto-repaired will now stop auto-repairing when the Construction Yard is destroyed
- Fixed a rare issue where players could lose credits when the AI repaired the base
- Fixed "base under attack" notifications being triggered by repairs
- Guard Tower / Turret - Health was increased
- Advanced Guard Tower / Obelisk - Health now matches other base buildings (same as Renegade)
End of changes.
I've updated the original post with a small roadmap.