New OpenRA forums

and Sleipnir's Stuff retirement.

Official announcements from the developers.
Sleipnir

New OpenRA forums

Post by Sleipnir » Sun May 27, 2018 3:50 pm

Welcome to the new OpenRA forums, which have moved to a new domain and have been separated from the older Sleipnir's Stuff archive. This move has been a very long time coming, delayed mainly by a desire to style the replacement forum to match the main OpenRA website.

You may notice reading this that a new theme was not completed. The original Sleipnir's Stuff installation was woefully inadequate for the requirements of the new EU GDPR privacy laws, and we made the decision to migrate immediately to an updated platform instead of shutting down the service.

The new forum may look ugly in its current state, but it provides a fresh base to build on going forward. The two big priorities are a new forum theme and integrating the in-game player authentication. Unfortunately, as many of you know, we do not currently have enough development manpower or experience to finish these in the short term. Please get in touch via the linked GitHub issues if you have experience in web design or php development and want to help out. Your help might make all the difference between these being completed next month versus next decade.

A few notes about the migration:
  • All OpenRA-based posts have been preserved.
  • All users who have posted in an OpenRA forum or logged in after 1 January 2016 have been preserved.
  • All other posts and users have been erased.
  • Custom BBCode formatting has been preserved, but the custom types are not directly exposed to the post editor.
  • The avatar gallery is no longer available, so some users will have lost their avatars.
  • Most custom preferences have been reset.
I believe that most of the useful Sleipnir's Stuff modding content has been archived on other sites, and so I hope that the abrupt retirement of all that history will not cause too much chaos. I have kept a backup of this data, and so if I am wrong on that point then I can restore a read-only archive of this content when time permits in the future. The priority in the short term was to restore the OpenRA forums with as little downtime as possible.

The new forum software opens up many possibilities for improvements, including new moderation tools and the ability to create additional forums (e.g. for RA vs TD vs D2K). Let us know below if you find any issues, have any ideas for improvements, or if you would like to volunteer to be part of a new moderation team.

eskimo

Re: New OpenRA forums

Post by eskimo » Sun May 27, 2018 4:49 pm

Thank you for your hard work and the others ofc who have helped bring this back. Many of us were already missing slepnir's forum despite it being gone days. I even saw a tear shed from Netnazgul.

N/a

Post by N/a » Sun May 27, 2018 4:55 pm

Yeah thanks for the game and the new forum, its cool we don't have to create the topics over again as well.

jaZz_KCS

Post by jaZz_KCS » Sun May 27, 2018 5:01 pm

Hard at work, I see.
Keep it up.

lawANDorder

Post by lawANDorder » Sun May 27, 2018 6:57 pm

Great to see the official forum starting off and laying the foundation for new features and designs. It's an unique opportunity to make essential contributions and I'm looking forward to see the new theme/framework integration evolving.

Inq

Post by Inq » Mon May 28, 2018 1:01 am

Thank you for your hard work & ongoing commitment to OpenRA.

SirCake

Post by SirCake » Mon May 28, 2018 11:06 am

Nice. This forum also seems to align better with mobile :) No more need to zoom in to hit the last post button :D

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul » Mon May 28, 2018 7:21 pm

Going to drop some 5c of feedback here: I think subscription notices do not get emailed now. They just pile up in the "notifications" popup menu at the top.

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir » Mon May 28, 2018 8:06 pm

You should be able to change your notification preferences at ucp.php?i=ucp_notifications&mode=notification_options

FRenzy

Post by FRenzy » Tue May 29, 2018 1:38 pm

[quote=SirCake post_id=307699 time=1527505574 user_id=6288]
Nice. This forum also seems to align better with mobile :) No more need to zoom in to hit the last post button :D
[/quote]

Indeed, looks great ! Good job

cccdfern

Post by cccdfern » Tue May 29, 2018 7:38 pm

Ho hum, shame to see the old lot go, still so much reading to do there. Good luck with RA, think I'll stick to generals.

Forums look really good though, and ditto about the mobile support.

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach » Wed May 30, 2018 5:36 pm

Most of the RA2 content of the old SS forums were not archived in other sides, merely because they were a HUGE amount of c'n'p buildings scattered in the topics around. Melle's voxelpack was also never released elsewhere, I guess I'll have to upload it to PPM at a point.

Generals is a bit better, in that case there are private archives apparently.

The read-only archive should be set up for a while atleast with proper announcements to make sure that the community can atleast have a organized scavenging of the content. RenProj (until it's own server went blargh) hosted a DeeZire archive with all data intact even.

The_Hunter

Post by The_Hunter » Wed May 30, 2018 8:12 pm

I too would be in favor of having a read only archive of the old forums.

Even tho i didn't really post much there anymore for several years now i did come back to it every once in a while to look up information and old data amongst other things.

So if its within the realm of possibilities please do consider a read only archive for some of us old timers :)

Nemo Mentisson

Post by Nemo Mentisson » Thu May 31, 2018 2:02 am

I also support a read-only archive. I'd like to point out that people who aren't long term members at the very least still used the Generals resource threads, and that even if private archives exist, neither those nor Wayback Machine scrapes have the accessibility nor continuity a read-only archive would.

JOo

Post by JOo » Thu May 31, 2018 3:00 pm

[quote]... and Sleipnir's Stuff retirement.[/quote]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Y9yBLH2.jpg[/img]