Team Turkey - 3!

Easy to install. New team, new units, new art and AI support.

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
VonBruinwald

Team Turkey - 3!

Post by VonBruinwald »

version: release-20200503-teamturkey-alpha-3

1.0 Stable and tested on AI Skirmish, Lan and Direct IP - Needs custom icons.
2.0 Extra units and tweaks
3.0 AI SUPPORT - CUSTOM ICONS - NEW UNITS AND TWEAKS

-------

WHAT IS TEAM TURKEY?

Team turkey was my solution to address that burning itch of the soviets lacking a 3rd team.

Why Turkey? Although Turkey being a soviet country isn't historically accurate neither is Red Alert (Allied Hinds anyone?), and Russia did want Turkey allied with them during the Cold War for logistical reasons, which fits the teams theme.

But most importantly, their flag is red!

I've tried to keep balance as close to the original but wa-hey, what do you expect!

-------

SO WHAT DO TURKEY GET?

Turkey is the Soviets Vanguard team, they play like you would expect soviets to play and their unique tech consists of:

Recon Bike

Advanced Communications Centre
-------> Fwd. Command -------> Supply Drop
-------> GPS Satellite (High Tech only)

- The Recon Bike is good for hit and runs on the enemy base but otherwise delicate.
- The Adv. Comm allows you to build a Fwd. Comm anywhere on the map. The Fwd. Comm provides a small amount of buildable area and allows you to call in a supply drop consisting of a couple of healing crates and a field promotion.
- The Adv. Comm also provides GPS if you have a soviet tech centre.

-------

SO WHAT DOES EVERYONE ELSE GET?

- The Allies pill box can now house a 2nd man. The soviets get a Guard Tower (a 1-man pill box)
- The Allies get an A10 airstrike they can call in from off-map (requires dome/heli-pad), Soviet MIGs gets AA missiles.
- The Allies get Orcas, Soviets get Hinds. Orcas have long range AG missiles and can spot hidden units, Hinds can carry 1 man and attack ground units.
- The Soviets get Stavros, a Russian sniper who can shoot while cloaked and carries C4 (The allies already have Tanya).

------

ANYTHING ELSE?

Map Explored is now the default setting
AI is now supported (except for Stavros)
Everything has unique icons

SUPER SECRET BONUS

--- Read the read-me or jump in blind ---

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

1) Copy the teamturkey folder into your ra folder, it should look something like this:
OpenRA -> mods -> ra -> teamturkey -> *.yaml's

2) Copy the "mods.yaml" file from the teamturkey folder, and replace the mods.yaml in the ra folder with it (remember to make a backup of your original mods.yaml file first).

Done!
TeamTurkey-3.zip
Team Turkey Alpha 3
(58.56 KiB) Downloaded 208 times

Ronald

Re: Team Turkey - 3!

Post by Ronald »

Downloading....Installing...<click>
First impression (from playing a quick 1vrs1 on map Warwind as "Turkey" vrs England Rush-AI)

I loved having those good old CnC Units around:
1. Recon Bikes - for enemy harvester sniping and to counter-attack enemy artilleries.
2. Guard Towers for base defense -although I was missing that awesome CnC RaRaRaRaRatleing machine-gun sound on them.

3. Forward Command Post:
This is (strategic) game changer since one does not need build and move MCV anymore.
Ideal to create 1 or more little camp inside enemy base front yard.

NEXT:
Later this week I will play more 3 matches - as "Turkey" - against England (Normal-AI, Turtle-AI and Naval-AI).
I also will test the other way around: 4 matches as one of the Allies countries against all 4 Turkey AI-bots variants.

To be continued..

Ronald

Post by Ronald »

I've played the the other 1vrs1 matches and discovered a Greece Allied faction too?
Team_Turkey3_Extra_Greece_faction.jpg
Team_Turkey3_Extra_Greece_faction.jpg (123.71 KiB) Viewed 4066 times
Is this correct? Does the TeamTurkey also have an extra Allied Greece Faction build into it?

I like the "Nuclear tipped" V2 unit on the new Greece Faction side.
Also having the Hind back at the Soviet side came in very handy.

Thanks for creating this nice mod VonBruinwald.

VonBruinwald

Post by VonBruinwald »

Glad you're enjoying it Ronald.

Regarding the Fw. Comm centre, yeah, it's a game changer. Currently experimenting with putting it on a leash so you can still build it outside your usual build radius but not quite the other side of the map... it's a tricky thing to balance.

As for Greece, they're my dumping ground for new units, left them in as a bonus this time. That Nuclear V2 is just a bit fun, originally you reload it at a service depot and build as many as you want, which was fun, but broken, especially when a rogue enemy MIG created a nuclear chain-reacton inside my own base ;) . That said I have toyed with the idea of watering down my content and creating 3(!) new teams.

Greece (Allies): A10 Strike + Orcas
Spain (Soviets): Fwd Command + Recon Bike
Turkey (Soviets): Advanced Comm + Hinds

It effectively removes the new content from the old teams with the exception of the guard tower/pillbox buff and Stavros.

Ronald

Post by Ronald »

VonBruinwald wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:30 pm
Regarding the Fw. Comm centre, yeah, it's a game changer. Currently experimenting with putting it on a leash so you can still build it outside your usual build radius but not quite the other side of the map... it's a tricky thing to balance.
What challenges make it tricky to balance ?
VonBruinwald wrote:
As for Greece, they're my dumping ground for new units, left them in as a bonus this time. That Nuclear V2 is just a bit fun, originally you reload it at a service depot and build as many as you want, which was fun, but broken, especially when a rogue enemy MIG created a nuclear chain-reacton inside my own base ;) .
Lol - Every tactical advantage _can_ have it own set of dis-advantages as well :-)
VonBruinwald wrote:
That said I have toyed with the idea of watering down my content and creating 3(!) new teams.
- Greece (Allies): A10 Strike + Orcas
- Spain (Soviets): Fwd Command + Recon Bike
- Turkey (Soviets): Advanced Comm + Hinds
It effectively removes the new content from the old teams with the exception of the guard tower/pillbox buff and Stavros.
Are you currently planning on adding more:
- faction / countries
- units
to your mod in the future?

VonBruinwald

Post by VonBruinwald »

Ronald wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:05 am
What challenges make it tricky to balance ?
On small maps it's not so bad but on large maps the ability to quickly create a base on the opposite side of the map is broken. There was also a bug allowing you to sweep it over enemy bases and "see" where their structures/units were through the fog of war/shroud. Have decided to put it on a leash, within 15 cells of any other structures you own, which is effectively the build radius of your Factory. You can daisy chain them across the map but at that point it's cheaper to build an MCV.
Ronald wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:05 am
Are you currently planning on adding more:
- faction / countries
- units
to your mod in the future?
Probably not, I'm not an art/asset creator, new icons are probably as far as I'm willing to go on that end. Originally it was "just Turkey" but then I got carried away.... I'm happy with it as is for the most part but will continue to tweak things. Open to suggestions if you want to add/see anything changed.

I've attached the Three Team Variant if you want to give it a whirl. I dare say I prefer it as it's closer to core balance and I don't feel the new teams are strictly better. Best part of it is setting the enemy to random and fighting them unplanned.

Code: Select all

-------

WHAT IS THREE TEAM SUPREME?

Three Team Supreme is a development of my previous mod, Team Turkey. Instead of expanding the base teams units
and abilities the additional content has instead been split between 3 additional teams (Greece, Spain and Turkey)
leaving the original teams largely unchanged.

-------

SO WHAT DO YOU GET?

Well, as the name implies you get three new teams; Greece, Spain and Turkey. Their Tech is as follows:

Team			Tech Level	Unit/Structure			Ability
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Greece	(Allies)	Med.Tech	Helipad		------>		A10 Strike
			High Tech	Orca
Spain	(Soviet)	Low. Tech	Recon Bike
			Med.Tech	Forward Command	------->	Supply Drop
Turkey	(Soviet)	Med. Tech	Adv. Comm Centre------->	GPS
			High.Tech	Hind

The "base" game is now enhanced with the following content:

- The Allies pill box can now house a 2nd man.
 - The Soviets get a Guard Tower (a 1-man pill box).
 - MIGS get AA Missiles
 - The Soviets get Stavros, a Russian sniper who can shoot while cloaked and carries C4 (a Soviet equiv. to Tanya).

------

ANYTHING ELSE

Map Explored is now the default setting
AI is now supported (except for Stavros)
New teams are part of the random selections
Everything has unique icons

!BUG FIXED! - Greece can build aircraft and Spain can build their FCOMM
!BUG FAILED! - Greek Aircraft are currently borked, fixing...

Installs the same way as Team Turkey did;
Unzip to Mods->RA->Three Team Supreme
Replace mod.yaml file in the RA folder with the one in the Three Team Supreme folder.