Extra content save location

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Ozbert

Extra content save location

Post by Ozbert »

I just discovered OpenRA a couple of days ago and am quite impressed by it. Nice work!

I downloaded the freeware ISO images for C&C and Red Alert and imported the video and music assets into OpenRA, but I've just noticed that while I have OpenRA installed under D:\Games\OpenRA, this extra content has been copied to C:\Users\Ozbert\AppData\Roaming\OpenRA\Content.

I keep my games on D: so that I don't need to reinstall them when I wipe my C: drive and reinstall Windows, which happens fairly regularly. But because this content is kept on the C: drive separate from the game engine, I've got to take the extra step of backing it up before doing a wipe+reinstall of Windows.

Is it possible to move this content under the OpenRA engine installation folder and still have it used by the game?

Thanks.
Oz
Last edited by Ozbert on Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abcdefg30

Re: Extra content save location

Post by abcdefg30 »

Yes, you can create a folder called "Support" in the installation directory. The game will then use that directory instead of the one on the C drive.

Ozbert

Post by Ozbert »

Thanks, that did the trick.

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash »

abcdefg30 wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:58 am
Yes, you can create a folder called "Support" in the installation directory. The game will then use that directory instead of the one on the C drive.
Don't you want to consider making this the default option? I hate it when games store important data somewhere in the mess of folders that is Program Files. My games go in C:\Games or D:\Games, and that's where I want everything to be, not scattered over several folders.
Proud C&C fan since 1996.

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

I'm afraid it's not that simple. The default install location is Program Files, which requires admin privileges to write to which in turn means we can't just write things there on the fly. That is afaik the main reason programs (and we) write to AppData instead.

Whiplash

Post by Whiplash »

abcdefg30 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:47 am
I'm afraid it's not that simple. The default install location is Program Files, which requires admin privileges to write to which in turn means we can't just write things there on the fly. That is afaik the main reason programs (and we) write to AppData instead.
Pity, but understood. That's one reason I never install games in Program Files, ever. I'm old school that way.
Proud C&C fan since 1996.