Recovering Husks

Future cool feature

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Hetzer

Recovering Husks

Post by Hetzer »

I think that mechanics recovering smoldering husks from the battlefield is a really cool feature.

Unfortunately these husks dissapear really fast so this feature is not that interesting as it could be.

Is there a way to prolong the time smoldering husks remain on the battlefield? This is also more reallistic since a 60 ton tank cannot vanish in thin air like that.

SirCake

Re: Recovering Husks

Post by SirCake »

Yes, you can mod that into a map with custom rules.
The reason the husks go away that quickly was that you can block a refinery or war factory with a husk this way. This was seen as a balance problem, that's why they expire this fast, currently.
Cheers

Hetzer

Post by Hetzer »

Got it. Althorough there's no better feeling than capturing a smoldering mammoth/heavy tank with a mechanic.

I understood this was a tactic used by the germans in WW2 to keep ownership over battlefield after a battle to recover/repair damaged tanks.

This would be a feature to remember in a strategy game.

Is there a map-maker/modder or settings file in OpenRA that I can edit to set that husk-timing parameter?

SirCake

Post by SirCake »

If you only want to to try it on singleplayer or with a good friend, you can edit the mod files directly. In your install direcory/mods/ra/rules probably vehicle.yaml or defaults.yaml. Note that there is inheritance, for example a tank inherits all features of a tracked vehicle.

Note that this breaks your game for online play!! (Except if your friend has the exact same modifications, maybe it works)

A better way is to unzip a map, add Rules: to it, and copy the modified unit rules there. Upload map to resource center and play online :)