Team Turkey

A mini-RA-mod that adds a 3rd Team to the soviets without disturbing the balance. Easy to install.

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
VonBruinwald

Team Turkey

Post by VonBruinwald »

LATEST VERSION: CLICK HERE!

version: release-20200503-teamturkey-alpha

1.0 Stable and tested on AI Skirmish, Lan and Direct IP - Needs custom icons.

-------

WHAT IS TEAM TURKEY?

Team turkey was my solution to address that burning itch of the soviets lacking a 3rd team.

Why Turkey? Although Turkey being a soviet country isn't historically accurate neither is Red Alert (Allied Hinds anyone?), and Russia did want Turkey allied with them during the Cold War for logistical reasons, which fits the teams theme.

But most importantly, their flag is red!

-------

HOW DOES TEAM TURKEY PLAY?

Turkey is the Soviet logistics teams, they play like you would expect soviets to play and their two specials consist of:

1 - A "new" building, the Forward Command Centre (prerequisite: Radar Dome) - Place this to create a small buildable area. Very handy for expanding your base without having to up and move your MCV. Alternatively you can up and move your MCV, leaving behind a small area you can still build in. Can be found under defensive structures and currently uses the allied tech centre icon.

2 - A new ability, Supply Drop, (prerequisite: Forward Command), a Badger flies over dropping 3 Healing and 2 Money Crates. Very handy for repairing a couple of your units without slogging it back to base. The money isn't much (maximum cash rate is the equivalent of half an oil derrick), but can be handy in a pinch. Currently uses the Parabomb icon so if you're playing Ukraine and have captured a forward command, remember to check the tool tip first!

The AI doesn't make use of the Forward Command so if you set them as Turkey you'll get a pretty vanilla experience.

-----

ANYTHING ELSE?

That's just about it, this mod wasn't about rebalancing the game or creating a total conversion and I reused what assets were already there, I was addressing my pet-peeve.

However... I did add a second infantry slot to the Allied pillbox, it always annoyed me not being able to garrison a rifleman and a rocket soldier together. The Camo pillbox remains unchanged.

If someone out there knows how to create icons for OpenRA and wants to make a couple for the Fwd.Comm/SupplyDrop, feel free to do so, if you can add them to the mod, it would be appreciated. Any other feedback is a bonus.

-------

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

1) Extract and copy the teamturkey folder into your ra folder, it should look something like this:
OpenRA -> mods -> ra -> teamturkey

2) Copy the "mods.yaml" file from the teamturkey folder, and replace the mods.yaml in the ra folder (remember to make a backup of your original mods.yaml file first).

That's it, done!

(Alternative method detailed in the zip).
teamturkey.zip
Team Turkey RA Mod
(7.61 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
Last edited by VonBruinwald on Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Remuneration

Re: Team Turkey

Post by Remuneration »

Original and intresting ideas to team =)

bearoforange

Post by bearoforange »

Good job!

VonBruinwald

Post by VonBruinwald »

New Version Alpha 2 now available:

After stumbling on a .mix file of TD units ported across to RA I got a little hack-happy (Credit to whoever did the work, unfortunately the website I found it on was uncredited).

What's Changed?

Team turkey has had an overhaul:
  • Turkey is now referred to as the Vanguard - their strengths are early warnings and advanced positioning.
  • Forward command can now be placed anywhere on the battlefield to establish forward bases.
  • Supply drop now has unique art for the cargo plane/icon (c17). Actual drop now consists of 3 money and 2 veterancy crates (new crate, woo!)
  • Communications centre has been added: requires Soviet Tek building, provides GPS Satellite (icon in building menu is for GPS satellite).
  • Recon bike has been added as their unique unit - Moves fast, good damage vs. tanks and buildings, explodes in a stiff breeze. Best use is for recon and hit and run attacks on the enemy base.
And the other changes:
  • Soviet factions now have access to the guard tower, functionally identical to the original pill box.
  • Allied pillboxes (inc. hidden) can hold 2 people, effectively making them upgradeable.
  • A10 Attack plane has been added to the Allies (along with an airfield), same role as mig.
ToDo:
  • Need unique icon/art for Fwd. Command and Communications centre
  • Restore Hind to Soviets.
  • Ideas as they come.
-------

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

1) Extract and copy the teamturkey folder into your ra folder, it should look something like this:
OpenRA -> mods -> ra -> teamturkey

2) Copy the "mods.yaml" file from the teamturkey folder, and replace the mods.yaml in the ra folder (remember to make a backup of your original mods.yaml file first).
teamturkeya2.zip
Team Turkey alpha 2
(278.98 KiB) Downloaded 190 times

VonBruinwald

Post by VonBruinwald »

Friendly reminder:
Core balance is unchanged and the AI does not make use of the modifications I've made. As a result the AI plays the same as if there is no mod installed.