Tiberian Sun Progression...

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
girafffe_i

Tiberian Sun Progression...

Post by girafffe_i »

Hello! Wondering about the progress on OpenRA:Tiberian Sun. The "Milestones" tab doesn't show completion chronologically, only how the issues are prioritized.

Anything you need from the community to help?

anjew

Re: Tiberian Sun Progression...

Post by anjew »

Since completion of those blockers, listed in the milestones tab, is dependant on manpower it's impossible to give an accurate time.

https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/milestone/30 is the most accurate way to gauge how long it will take and if its at ~14% after so long, I dont think they can give you an accurate time, especially not one anyone would be happy with.+
girafffe_i wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:38 pm
Anything you need from the community to help?
if you have a willingness to help code then working on those milestones would probably be the best way :p

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

We have been making good progress over the last couple of years, but most of this work has focused on low-level technical challenges that require rewriting significant chunks of the core game engine. This work needs to happen slowly to make sure we don't break existing mods (RA/TD/D2k + all the community projects), and is slowed further by taking the opportunity to fix and implement other related features in the same code while we are there. Many of the big features in the last few releases have been based on this work for TS.

For example, the smooth zooming support in the new playtest / next release was a simple extension from fixing a fundamental flaw in the game renderer that caused rendering glitches in TS (technically: rendering into a frame buffer to ensure a 1:1 correspondence between sprite pixels and the depth buffer). A big motivation behind the unit control improvements in release-20191117 was to fix issues that prevented Carryalls, Tick Tanks, and aircraft in general from behaving properly. The new unit targeting behaviour in release-20190314 was similarly motivated by TS - fixing a serious bug with the nod stealth generator cloaking behaviour.

We have just merged a rewrite of the selection code onto the development branch that enables isometric-style selection boxes for buildings (screenshot), and work is slowly progressing on several other fronts for other core features. There is still a lot of work to go, so the main thing we require from the community is patience.

Zornicka

Post by Zornicka »

Hello, We are waiting for the completion of this great game - Tiberian Sun, thank you. David

Matt

Post by Matt »

There has also been some work on gameplay features like https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/pull/17876 which adds Drop Pod reinforcements.