Question about zooming...and saying hello.

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
pogo_commander

Question about zooming...and saying hello.

Post by pogo_commander »

Hello.

First of all let me express my respect and thankfulness for the OpenRA developers. I was a true C&C junkie in those days. And I still am, it seems.
I really appreciate your work and efforts you put into this project.

We are three guys around 50 years of age, we meet every other Saturday for gaming, and we really enjoy RTS games. We've been doing this for nearly 30 years now and OpenRA seems to be what we have been lacking for quite some time now.

So, I can't thank you enough for this, in fact, I've had the idea myself some years ago. But I'm just a hobby programmer, taught myself some C, C++ over the years and, digging through my old CDs, I even found a C&C map editor I wrote in the mid 90s.

So, although I am no c# expert, I downloaded the source and went through it a bit, I successfully built the sources, ok. I found the bit with available zoom steps and added a few, so zooming is not limited to two steps any longer. It's much smoother. Is there a reason why you limited the zooming option?

And, also concerning zoom, (I know this is being discussed elsewhere, too) the UI should be zoomable, cause on high resolution displays they are very small.

Best regards and keep up the good work!

lawANDorder

Re: Question about zooming...and saying hello.

Post by lawANDorder »

Welcome :) https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/issues/10382 is the relevant item i think

eskimo

Post by eskimo »

Welcome you and your friends!

FekLeyrTarg

Post by FekLeyrTarg »

Hello everyone,
I'm a first time poster as well.

I actually registered to suggest a zoom feature bound to the mouse wheel, like most modern RTS-games. I had no idea such a feature is already being worked on.
As the DOS-versions of Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert were developed with 320x200 (240?) in mind, I think it would work perfectly to zoom in so the units and buildings look as large as in the DOS-versions.

Just imagine being able to zoom in from this...:
https://www.zwodnik.com/media/images/openra_linux.png
...to this:
https://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/ ... s-will.gif

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

^ Is already implemented, and there is a hotkey to toggle the double-pixel mode ingame, don't remember whether it works with the mouse scroll, but it does for spectators who also have the zoom-out (which is at the moment a little bit glitchy).

anjew

Post by anjew »

netnazgul wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:43 am
don't remember whether it works with the mouse scroll
There is a scroll-zoom modifier in the hotkeys, so you can scroll zoom with eg. ctrl + scrollwheel