Release-20180923 - Discussion

Our third big release in 2018 has finally arrived!

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Major Kusanagi Motoko

Re: Release-20180923 - Discussion

Post by Major Kusanagi Motoko »

Fantastic impressions on the 2018_09_23 release.

Thanks to every developers continuous n dedicated contribution OpenRA has now its long awaited Authentication System, Playernames will show up if you hover over the in-game server list (which lets you know who is playing atm in on which game & mod, which is great! if you are looking to find a certain player/group of players),
also you can check the server list again while staying in lobby.

The Games-section on https://www.openra.net/games/ also provides more information on the games being played with new beautiful looks.

Last but not least, the current balance improvements also seem to be a promising part in further increasing competitive and exciting experiences for this amazingly implemented RTS classic.

You guys always do a great job, but this time its really so much n special,
great thanks for your work !

Major Kusanagi

YuriMolina

Post by YuriMolina »

When the time vortex singularity will be implemented? and a bigger ultimate weapon, like a thermo nuclear bomb? XD

Mr Cloudy

Post by Mr Cloudy »

I love everything, and I don't want to come across as rude I understand there's a lot of hard work put into this, and I love the game to bits, but that said, the ref sell change is not something I'm happy about, tbh I think it's terrible and quite honestly I don't see any point in it what so ever, all this is doing is streamlining a build, (or making less openers for the start of the game) the scaling is much better with a double ref into a pp anyway, 3 refs for 5 harvesters is much better, and you can make a lot more infantry before you get out the 4th harvester if you know your macro game in 1v1s, and the other thing was no one was moaning about the double ref sell build anyway...

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

See #15240 for the discussion motivating that change.

Mr Cloudy

Post by Mr Cloudy »

well that thread has been closed, and what I have read, does not answer my question about making the game more streamlined.

lawANDorder

Post by lawANDorder »

The issue has been closed bc it got fixed in the pr referenced at the bottom, that is just how github works. You can still comment on it. I think netnazgul wrote a good comment about it here viewtopic.php?f=82&t=20641#p308733.

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

The release shipped with a bug that prevents servers from notifying the master server that they have started - this makes servers show up in the list as "Waiting" for three minutes after they start.

A hotfix is available for server hosts, and the so far the "EU Official" and "Trolling allowed" / "Trolling prohibited" servers have been updated.

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

Thank a lot for that, that "bug" created a lot of frustration. Even more for people who have few time to play/spectate and feel that they always miss the good lobbies/games. "Come on, not again ..."

avalach21

Post by avalach21 »

Sleipnir wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:09 am
"Trolling allowed" / "Trolling prohibited"
lol! who owns these servers?? always makes me chuckle :lol:

Janneman27

Post by Janneman27 »

Hi.

I am completely new to the forums, but have been playing OpenRA since 2015 (I've never had any issues or other reasons to join the forum).

Anyway, I am having real issues downloading the latest release. My internet connection is fine, but every time I try to download the release (for Windows), it gets to about 7-10MB, and then fails. Are the servers down/busy, or is the issue on my side?

Thank for all the great work with this engine! I really, really appreciate it!

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

Weird, it works for me. You can try downloading it directly from https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/releases.

pointbreak

Post by pointbreak »

Seen some pretty bad bugs in this release.

- Telsa / Arty / Msub doesn't shoot at units that are in fog of war but visible via gps.
- Today I saw Bazooka inf floating across a cliff (got the replay).
- The order queue often seems bugged somehow, maybe leaves out the first order

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

The first point was an intentional change back in release-20180218 (see the second point under "Other notable changes").

The second one is probably #15654. Can you please post the replay there?

Kankipappa

Post by Kankipappa »

Hi, I'm a long time player, first time forum user.

My biggest issue on this game, is that after upgrading to AMD CPU with Ryzen 2700X, I've had huge performance regressions on this game/engine. It's not really release specific, as I've tried older versions and the same issue persists.

For some reason even a i7 laptop CPU 8 years ago seems to handle the game better, as if the processor had more performance. my older 3770K obviously breezes on the game currently and shows no slowdowns, even on huge matches with thousands of units.

I've noticed that even on main menu, without starting any game sessions the CPU usage is really high on one core with ryzen, nearly 100% on Windows - just idling on the game main menu with fps limiter set to monitor refreshrate. On Linux side the CPU usage is only 10-20% on one core, making it perform way faster for longer in compstomp cooperative matches, but on windows the performance dies already in the first 15 mins to borderline unplayable.

Linux side also chockes eventually, when you sink over 30mins on the game as multiple AI's start to mass units, still making even the cheapest intel laptops perform better in this game.

So my question simply is - "WTF"?
Is this engine using intel based compiler or why the performance penalty is so high, if you're not using an intel CPU?

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

@Kankipappa I'm on Win10 and AMD FX-4300 and there are absolutely no performance issues for me, so the issue is not related to AMD in general, especially that you say it's performing ok for you under Linux on the same setup. My suggestion would be you should post an issue on Github repo providing all the specs and logs there as well so that devs may investigate the case.

Just an outside question - are you sure it is not related to GPU emulation? You haven't mentioned whether you have an embedded one or not.