Openra academy

Why not teach the future champion ?

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
WhoCares

Openra academy

Post by WhoCares »

Couple month back, I created a discord server as a platform to store game information with the purpose to be accessible to every beginner that is seduce by the game and wish to play competitively. Based on my experience on other games with a similar project and good result i designed a process and use some locked text channel as organized topics.

I diden't advertised much as the full content of the server is not ready yet but enought to teach the basics. With my computer time reduce to irl busines and more and more begginer coming on the discord server, I know think it's time for the project to be more public (I'm afraid to use the term official, i will let someone else claim that in time)

I present the ORA academy.

https://discord.gg/SwTTC8H

the server is composed on 4 levels on learning/training to grab and understand the aspect of the game. It also gather a maximum of tips and tricks the game allows and links to some existing content (such as happy's guide).I tried to use my own experience in openra as a player (once competitive ?) and regular viewer to make the process neutral in order to let people choose their own playstyle in the end. "Students" are taking care of by some teacher that are at their disposal to answer their question or supervise games or replays as needed.

So far, the feedback i have is it has help some player and save them time to find some info by themself or by figure out what really matter in a competitive game.

My motivation is an attempt to reinforce and consolidate our competitive player base by facilitating the learning process wich sometime can drive a player away.

It is not an attempt to form a side community as i will moderate the server to be exclusively used for teaching/learning discussion. We have already enought community servers, go talk music or spam meme there !

Feel free to send any beginner on this server or visit it yourself. I still need help to continue the LVL 3 and LVL4 and any volonteer to be teacher is welcome as soon as he does not try to impose his "personal" vision to the new players and keep focus on important basic aspect.

WhoCares

ps : As i'm not native in this language, feel free to pm me a corrected version of this thread with a proper english.

eskimo

Re: Openra academy

Post by eskimo »

I joined also. I always opted for playthroughs with discord chat. Having novices beat the AI within T1.5 and advising on eco scaling as they play. Then have them watch through replays together pinning down key mistakes from a few games. It worked quite well.

I did a little picture document that shows how to combat and engage vs blobs with tank support and helis/arty behind them. I will post it up at some point on there

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

Thx you, any contribution or help is more than welcome.

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

To complete the server structure and have more content, I already created two additional reservered text chan for happy and eskimo to post their guides in a permanent way. I invite you to check the advanced strategy guide by happy. Eskimo's guide is incoming.

Anybody who wants to share his vision of how has to be played openra. can ask me and i'll give him a text channel to express himself the way he sees fit. the More strategies/opinions/visions/build orders/tips we can gather,the better the server will be.

Jur

Post by Jur »

I played ORA for almost 1 year, before joining your discord, but I still learned few new things. But more then that it helped me to "master" the things that were written in lvl 1 and lvl 2. Like I never microed harvesters in the begging, but this can give you nice edge at the start of the game....

So yes, I think that what you are doing is a good thing and when I find a newbie I invite him to discord.

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

Thank for the feedback, as soon as i have more time/inspiration/help, i'll try to continue to fill the server with more info/content.

Upps

Post by Upps »

The Openra academy is the best platform for Newbies and everyone who want to play solid. Spread the Openra academy Discord all around the game!

When I start playing this Game, I didn't even know that the Game had a attackmove because the statusbar was missing at this time :`D
New Player don't have to learn the game on this hard way like me.

nataraja

Post by nataraja »

This is a thing every new player who wants to do 1v1 *needs* to play.

Openra is great as a 'lan-party' game that runs on anything, but if you want to play online there's such a huge skillgap between people who know the meta and those who don't...

I became the best player in my group of friends literally overnight thanks to this pretty cool and comprehensive programme

Thanks so much guys

TiTo

Post by TiTo »

ORA Academy is really a place to start. I played RA as a kid and accidentally came across OpenRA. Started playing and I was completly lost at start because the game play changed. I was pointed to ORA Academy by a player who beat me. It helped me a lot! I improved my skills with information that is avaliable there.

So thumbs up for everyone who is contributing to ORA Academy. Keep on the good work!

Metalcallous

Post by Metalcallous »

The academy is a good springboard to at least regular 1vs1 play. Instead of being turned off with the high level of skill play in the community, it equipped me with the basics to at least have a fighting chance early game :D