RAGL Season 5 Post Season Discussion

Announcements and discussion about community-run events.
Smitty

Re: RAGL Season 5 Post Season Discussion

Post by Smitty »

@WhoCares
I don't like what I believe to be cheating; you don't like being called a cheater. I get that. A few minutes ago I wanted write up a long dissection of how each thing you've said about me is wrong, but ... I don't feel like it now.

I'm reading today's news and apparently someone decided to shoot up a video game tournament in Florida. I know we're not supposed to speculate when events like this happen, but I'll bet dollars to donuts that the guy who did the shooting was butthurt about something done or said online.

I'll just say this: We've seen our share of 'I'm quitting OpenRA posts', and you don't have to worry about that from me. I'm way too stubborn to quit over what people say about me. I may be done with competitive play for the time being, but if there's a tournament that catches my interest, I'll be in back in the commander's seat. (I've got $488 life time earnings from this game; pride dictates that I go for $500 at some point)

ZxGanon

Post by ZxGanon »

Some delusional idiot thinking he is god and can take lives of innocent people. Call me crazy for calling that out but I´m 100% certain people like CatGirls420 do such attrocities.

@Topic: RAGL S5 felt dragged but there was a discussion about changing it so let´s see how this will tunr out.

Using macro´s is cheat, just stick to what this game offers.

camundahl

Post by camundahl »

I think a higher prize pool will reduce the drop out issue. I'm down to contribute $200. Maybe masters could have a non-refundable buy in? Something easy like $20.

Blackened

Post by Blackened »

Hey Cam I'm pretty sure you're on discord but you can Pm me, netnazgul, or .1 for info on the RAGL paypal.

As to having a 20$ buy in for masters that sounds all well and good but that feels like a punishment to people who have outside shots of winning it back. I know I would be reluctant to pay that myself, and I even made it into the money spots this season.

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

Participation fee was among considered options, but the problem is money mostly go to top4 Masters whereas other players will just basicly fund them. There should be also some possibility to earn a %% of a prize pool through playing, i.e. currently recruits have no chance at getting any profit (well, we tried to introduce secondary "best use of units" prizes, but it just takes too much time to look through the ingame data and then is subjective to RAGL Officials' opinion).

Also $20 may be a negligible sum for USA, but not so for other parts of the world :P

I.e. there was also a suggestion to provide a buy-back participation fee - money that return to you if you play out all your matches (no strikes, no forfeits). Still that feels to drive off a lot of people initially, though in the end it might reduce the drop out count.

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

Also, camundahl, the latest season was mostly confined to just discord and http://ragl.org/ (I did a lot of text updates there though), so that might have made it less visible to general public.

As the automated part there failed its purpose, we don't have any other advantages for using dedicated website at the moment, so might return to forums.

SirCake

Post by SirCake »

RAGL could also use challonge.com for tracking games.(tournament organizig site) It supports swiss + playoffs like this season. Only PothM would have to be improvized.
The graphical representations of the brackets look visually appealing/mature and can be embedded to other sites afaik.
I used it, and did like it.

lawANDorder

Post by lawANDorder »

(Content was not helpful for the discussion.)
Last edited by lawANDorder on Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

SirCake wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:51 pm
RAGL could also use challonge.com for tracking games.(tournament organizig site) It supports swiss + playoffs like this season. Only PothM would have to be improvized.
The graphical representations of the brackets look visually appealing/mature and can be embedded to other sites afaik.
I used it, and did like it.
I asked SoScared about that more than a year ago and he said that it doesn't really feel stand out using 3rd party tournament brackets sites. I tend to agree with that.
Also it doesn't support the multi-division structure and any quirks like we want to use, in a single tournament. Btw, it does support swiss, but doesn't support swiss into playoffs, needs two separate tournaments for that as well.

Nothing bad to use challonge for 1-day tourneys, it's a perfect platform for them.

Post by .1 »

Corrode and I made the Ragl.org website.

The website was created for 2 reasons. 1. We had the idea of automating the results, and displaying them on the website. at first we wanted to create an app that connected the servers to the website and would automate it, then we moved on to a idea that people could login, upload their replays and results, and the table would get updated. Both of these ideas basically came to a halt because Corrode nor I could find the time to fully do them. The other reason was because, if anyone recalls, the forums were taken down because people decided to MEME them, and we didnt want to not have a place to communicate with people because the forums were offline.

I am all for someone taking over the ragl website and doing whatever they can to improve the experience. It would be great if people could login, add their replays and results, and update the tables.

Regarding Macros. We discouraged them for season 5 because the debate was still raging, and we said in season 6 they would be banned. We are working on a tool to detect macro usage( other than just looking at the spike) and if caught, they will result in a full ban from RAGL. I would hope that saying they are banned would be enough for people to not use them( at least while playing in ragl games) and understand smitty frustrations. Nobody likes to lose in this game, and when you do lose, its even worse when you find out the other person was using some 3rd party software.

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

So, as I've freed myself up a bit (yay, map design contest is concluded), we might have a more thorough convo on RAGL online automation. Capable persons (namely lawandorder, james.bong) can you please get in contact? So that we might discuss it further.

lawANDorder

Post by lawANDorder »

netnazgul wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:06 am
So, as I've freed myself up a bit (yay, map design contest is concluded), we might have a more thorough convo on RAGL online automation. Capable persons (namely lawandorder, james.bong) can you please get in contact? So that we might discuss it further.
I'm still interested in creating forum features for tournament management and other things and actually already started working on a phpbb extension for it, it is possible to do this based on existing phpbb features. However, I got the feeling that I don't want to do it in php and I'm currently working on porting the existing features to a new framework and this requires a lot of reading and learning first. When that is done, it will depend on what the forum admin says and if the framework could be used for the forums. This will be a good way for me to learn more about python so it is not a big deal if it gets rejected, but until then I'm not going to work on new features for phpbb, but maybe after it. The tournament management system is only a part of a whole bunch of web features that I have in mind, like extendable player profile pages, achievements that unlock badges, etc. So I probably can't help with the RAGL features in the near future :(