Creating a servers for friends

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
KAPICO

Creating a servers for friends

Post by KAPICO »

Hello there,
Last day I wanted to make a server for me and my friends to play, however I read about something called port forwarding on the Discord channel, and I don't know anything about it.
So if someone can explain it to me in details, as to how to make a private server, I would be really grateful.

Thanks in advance

eskimo

Re: Creating a servers for friends

Post by eskimo »

You can create your own server and password from your own computer if that helps? Just click "create".

Otherwise you'll need an actual server/access to one.

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

You can always use any public server to play with friends, the only problem there would be to deal with random people occupying places.

Creating dedicated server or ingame server (as eskimo suggested) indeed requires proper port forwarding. You can check this thread on specifics; basically what you need is to visit your router's settings and do a passthrough for a port you set as a listening port when creating a server - this is router-specific and is best googled, there is a lot of info on how to do this for different routers. After you create a server, you'll see a message "your server is not advertised online" or something if you didn't set it right.

I can show the specific setup for my server later when I'm home if that helps.

KAPICO

Post by KAPICO »

Okay thank you really much guys

eskimo

Post by eskimo »

It's been so long since i had to touch my router. They all port forward and generally plug and play now. Opening specific ports shouldn't be needed in my experience, but i'm a novice. Running as a local host will require a very good connection if your friends are in other countries.

Alley

Post by Alley »

I have problems creating my own server too. No matter what I do or try it does not work until it has been passed several hours already. I would like to learn but I quitting such difficult thing more and more often because I really struggle with my free time to do something and me afraid that my holidays end before I do even a little joke.
Before I could create my own server. Now I can't. Allowing Red Alert, OpenRA, nor 1234 port in Firewall does not help. Tried to set ports to a special application section where I tried to play with TCP, UDP and TCP/UDP. None of those attempts didn't help. OpenRA just can't connect with a server. Don't bother to read all topics nor posts too anymore because I have read those a lot of times already. Even videos don't give a picture.

I am hoping on step by step help and talking about everything that can cause that issue and related only with OpenRA not with just Portforward, allowing Apps or something else that is difficult relate with OpenRA case. :)

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

Allowing Red Alert, OpenRA, nor 1234 port in Firewall does not help. Tried to set ports to a special application section where I tried to play with TCP, UDP and TCP/UDP. None of those attempts didn't help.

Because your router/ISP is the main culprit here, not your PC.

But anyway, the need for your own server is quite specific. There are a lot of servers available to pick and play in the lobby.

eskimo

Post by eskimo »

Honestly, you will never see a massive influx of players that you can't control by booting them and letting your friends fill the slots. You can even copy-paste a reply to people saying "sorry or whatever" if you didn't to be rude.

Having a local server is nice, but i wouldn't waste your time with it if you've tried playing with settings.

Alley

Post by Alley »

Yeah... I haven't made anything with OpenRA for a very long time but I just remembered that I changed an internet service. So then maybe I revealed its cons for myself. But you are right! I can pick some already created servers and some of those allow to test a new mission alone also so... Although I have less privacy and don't want to leave a bad imagination from myself by banning people for saving some time it is still reasonable rather to not fight against the case that I can create my own server. It is not that big problem, however.
Thank you for your answers! :)