Resizing a map using the OpenRA utility exe

a retard guide for retarded window users...

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
noobmapmaker

Resizing a map using the OpenRA utility exe

Post by noobmapmaker »

And so that I dont forget it :)

Somehow the guide doesnt help me to actually open the utility program and even when you've opened it there are a couple things that can make this frustrating if you don't know what needs to be done.

So if you want to resize a Red Alert map:

- Open CMD
- Enter: cd [the path of the main OpenRA game]. Example: cd C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenRA
- Enter: [the path of the main OpenRA game]>openra.utility.exe
Example: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenRA>openra.utility.exe ra

This opens all commands available, but we are going to use the --resize-map command. Lets say we want to change Singles. First you can go to Skirmish in the OpenRA client to see the actual size of the map. In this case 108x50 cells (= width x height). Lets say you want to change it to 116x60.

You'll allready have C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenRA>
- Enter: openra.utility.exe ra --resize-map [the path to the map*]\singles.oramap 116 60

* find the map in your folder, then copy-paste the path followed by the name of the map, including the .oramap file extension.

Example:
C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenRA>openra.utility.exe ra --resize-map C:\Users\NoobMapMaker\Documents\OpenRA\maps\ra\release-20170527\themapthatIwanttoresize.oramap 128 96
C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenRA>openra.utility.exe ra --resize-map C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenRA\mods\ra\maps\themapthatIwanttoresize.oramap 128 96

Enter and wait... now check the folder that contained the original map. Don't forget to make a backup of your map before you play around with it!

Note by Lucian: always add +2 cells to the size you're aiming for because on every edge of the map you'll have a 1 cell border where units cannot go.

Yes, I am a retard and this is a retards' guide to resizing an OpenRA map.
Last edited by noobmapmaker on Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:39 am, edited 10 times in total.
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

3.Lucian

Post by 3.Lucian »

Thanks man,

I have tried to do this in the past without success, I will try this again tonight when i get home.

very, very useful!

3.Lucian

Post by 3.Lucian »

Ah, was having some trouble, but I worked it out.

In your examples you have written 128 x 96,
it should be 128 96.

3.Lucian

Post by 3.Lucian »

it's probably also worth mentioning what you are resizing isn't just the play area from 1,1, it's the border as well, from 0,0.

i.e. you need to add 2 to each of the new numbers. if you want it 100 cells wide, you need to tell the utility to resize to 102.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Will add and fixed the error, thanks!
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

JOo

Post by JOo »

a retard guide for retarded window users...
noobmapmaker wrote: And so that I dont forget it :)

Inq

Post by Inq »

:lol:

Mo

Post by Mo »

I tried running these commands on Windows 10 and it tells me access is denied.

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

Either try running it with administrator privileges or move the map file you want to edit out of the "programs" folder (assuming you want to edit a default map shipped with OpenRA, which is then in that folder which requires admin rights... e.g. move the map you want to edit to "Documents\OpenRA\maps\ra\release-20171014").

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

Just used this tuto and it runs like a charm. thx for it

I used it to reduce a map, I don't know if it has been said but in case of REDUCTION, pay attention that the right and bottom side will be erased to match the new size, so copy paste the content you want to keep to top-left.

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

I saw some maps having extensive shadowed areas (mainly hamb ones), wonder is it possible to do something similar with this tool or yaml, and how will this tool react on reduction of the map with this feature.

Blackened

Post by Blackened »

maps with the extensive shaded areas are maps with bounds differing from the standard -2 from map size. You can change them in the map yaml. I'm pretty sure resizing the map isn't effected by the bounds.