Iron Curtain Intentional Feature or Bug?

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
zinc

Iron Curtain Intentional Feature or Bug?

Post by zinc »

When you try to iron curtain something close to being destroyed, and you use it around the moment of your units destruction, the iron curtain is still used up without any benefit.

Intentional feature or bug?

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

Sounds like a bug to me.

FRenzy

Post by FRenzy »

Also happens on moving vehicules, not being IC'ed, wasting it, iirc.

My (dormant) YouTube channel : FRenzy OpenRA
Join the map-making train here

FiveAces

Post by FiveAces »

zinc wrote: When you try to iron curtain something close to being destroyed, and you use it around the moment of your units destruction, the iron curtain is still used up without any benefit.

Intentional feature or bug?
That bug has been around forever, and it has cost me many many engagements.
Let's hope for a fix in the near future, it's #2 on my list of most hated bugs,
right after the bug where breaking line of sight during a forcefire maneuver results in a move order.

Even worse, you can "miss" your own moving units with an IC, resulting in a wasted cooldown for no benefit whatsoever.

My guess would be that the game checks for a valid IC target first and applies the effect a couple ticks later, and if the cell empties in the meantime... tough luck.

anjew

Post by anjew »

FiveAces wrote: My guess would be that the game checks for a valid IC target first and applies the effect a couple ticks later, and if the cell empties in the meantime... tough luck.
I think the Chrono also suffers from this

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

This is all experimental tech stuff from the 50s, people, it requires you being still while it is applied or else consequences :P

But seriously the game would of course become better with this fixed.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Cant it check for the number of units that are IC'd or teleported? If the number of units is <0 then the countdown timer is reset to 0 seconds. Not the best solution, but maybe a solution.
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

AMHOL

Post by AMHOL »

noobmapmaker wrote: Cant it check for the number of units that are IC'd or teleported? If the number of units is <0 then the countdown timer is reset to 0 seconds. Not the best solution, but maybe a solution.
There's a bug in your pseudocode.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

AMHOL wrote:
noobmapmaker wrote: Cant it check for the number of units that are IC'd or teleported? If the number of units is <0 then the countdown timer is reset to 0 seconds. Not the best solution, but maybe a solution.
There's a bug in your pseudocode.
Pseudocode? Go wash your mouth young man! But there indeed is. Should be smaller than 1. I'm not sure if there is a trait or something that allows to check how many units are selected by the IC/CS, but that seems like a possible solution. Im trying to think of a situation where one does want the IC or the CS to go off when 0 units are selected. The only situation I can think of is when units are to be chronoshifted but they move out of the selectable area. But even then perhaps we dont want the CS to go off.

zinc

Post by zinc »

Yeah I would say the Chrono shouldn't go off if there is nothing selected. However, I don't see a problem with it failing if you try to jump to an area that is already occupied. You get a warning for that in the colour of the grid.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Yeah true.