MCV is so SLOW

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Mo

MCV is so SLOW

Post by Mo »

What's the point in going forward anymore, the play seems more static and becomes a whoever gets there first contest.

And if an expansion near me gets taken I can't counter with my own sneaky base as if it gets spotted I can't pull it out in time. So MCV placements will be a step by step thing which if I supplement with an army gets taken out by arties/V2s.

Not a fan. Game becomes less dynamic.

eskimo

Post by eskimo »

Mcvs are designed to be driven, not sailed. See how it fairs on land then sea what your stance is then.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I've yet to play the new version also.

Materianer

Post by Materianer »

The speed is okay for me, hopefully there will not be so many early ending games anymore.
Close mcv movement to the enemys base at start is really annoying.

The speed is not so much reduced imo, i like it.

OMnom

Post by OMnom »

Lorry warned SoS about this ages ago. http://www.sleipnirstuff.com/forum/view ... 7&start=25

I echoed similar sentiments during my whole MCV thing. The thing is, most people won't even notice the speed reduction, and the people who do notice and support/hate it will most likely be split 50:50.

SirCake

Post by SirCake »

I love it. I can now chase MCV's with heavy tanks. Awesome!

Check out Dune2k-Advanced on my moddb page!

lucassss

Post by lucassss »

I dislike it, mcv is way too slow now, making running away much more difficult.

Mo

Post by Mo »

From what I'm seeing it begins to encourage blob play.

Ahh nice spot Omnom!

lucassss, definitely! I can no longer properly retreat an MCV and create stalling bases. And it was so easy for me to chase an MCV through their base to keep tabs on where it's going with a medium tank for helis to take it out. That used to be a light tank job for example which made it higher risk in being taken out more easily.

OMnom

Post by OMnom »

There's a bunch of testing that needs to be done, but I don't think the slower MCV, by itself, is the reason why games feel more static. I'm pretty sure the combination of slower eco scaling/MCVs and smarter targeting has made it impossible to deflect a stronger army without an equally large army or without the use of artillery/V2. In order to compensate for the weaker defender's advantage, people will naturally blob up their forces into 1 large army and limit the amount of surface area their opponent can attack. Limited surface area means a higher concentration of static D as well.

If both players elect to defend rather than to be aggressive, there are going to be even more pillboxes/flame turrets littered across the map, compared to the previous release. Both sides already have very poor options dealing with pillbox spam, and an undisturbed scaling of pillboxes doesn't help that one bit. The natural follow up to this is to just spam arty/v2 and rebuild your static defenses, because there are no cost-efficient mobile counters to static play.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

As I recently mentioned on the map/mod thread the intention of making it easier to hunt down renegade MCVs was deliberate as to make cheap expansions more risky, which essentially was accomplished both in the playtest series and apparently reported in this thread. As an isolated feature it might slow the game down and could be experienced as an annoyance as we're used to freely zip MCV's back and forth across the map.

In the release the game hasn't yet experienced any noticeable slower pace because of this particular change. Neither was it in the combination with the full balance patch in the predecessor playtest maps but as I've mentioned earlier a potential slow-down effect might have been drowned out by the other changes in the balance patch. The passive blobs and stale gameplay, as touched upon by OMnom, is a product of the no-building targeting in which players safely grow their armies at home instead of using them. Naturally time goes by more slowly when you spend more the time watching production and positioning your army around your own base instead of being active on the map.