The Dark Tournament

Gametimes & Tables posted!

Announcements and discussion about community-run events.
WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

I would give it a shot anyway with soviet.

SirCake

Post by SirCake »

:D such a nice idea NMM! And with so much pathos, love it!
Unfortunately I have to work exactly on that date, so no dog-spam from me.^^

Check out Dune2k-Advanced on my moddb page!

Orb

Post by Orb »

Signing in! I love random maps, which is why PA was one of my favorite games.

maceman

Post by maceman »

Just wanted to say, this looks awesome, can't wait to see how it works out :)

Raishiwi

Post by Raishiwi »

Lorrydriver wrote: Hey, that sounds very interesting. I would like to sign up. I hope I count as a higher skilled player.
You might but you could get bumped by Gator Slayer.

Blackened

Post by Blackened »

Super cool idea NMM! I'll toss my name into the hat just because but regardless I want to see it all unfold!

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Orb wrote: Signing in! I love random maps, which is why PA was one of my favorite games.
Id love to see the Map Generator being finished one day. That would make organising such a tournament much easier. At this time the guy has stopped working on it, but he did publish the code in case someone would like to continue with it.

Little update regarding the tournament: SoScared is willing to host it on his channel! I maybe join for commentary if my audio and video is of sufficient quality. Also SoScared came up with a nice trick to skew the spawns on the map preview, making it very hard to tell where you or your opponent spawns on the map.
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

Medium Tank

Post by Medium Tank »

This sounds like an incredible amount of fun! I would definitely like to sign up if you can squeeze me in!

This looks like a lot of work, awesome to see you do all this work for this tournament!!

Chewey

Post by Chewey »

Great work NMM, I’m looking forward to some interesting matches!

corrode

Post by corrode »

Awesome! Nice work there! Sign me up^^

Mo

Post by Mo »

Sign me up! :)

Great idea and sounds like a lot of fun. Once upon a time maps were played unexplored.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Update: great idea by WhoCares:

If sufficient players sign up (12+) a 2nd division will be created! This will allow 6 more players to participate in the tournament. The games they play will follow suit with the first, strongest, division. By this I mean that they will start their games at the same time and they will play the same map.

Before I actually decide to this there are some things to be considered:
- We cant broadcast 2 games at the same time so unfortunatly the games played in 2nd division will not be covered (unless an extra caster steps in) and only the replays will be made available.
- There is no prizemoney for the 2nd division, only honour.
- This might result in the first division having to wait for the 2nd division to finish their game. Waiting 5-10 minutes is not a big issue as it gives room to discuss the previous game. However, if it turns out to be an endless battle then we'll have to continue - Im not sure yet how to properly solve that.

The advantage of having a 2nd division is that the reserve players can play for sure as they either fill up a spot in 1st division or play in 2nd division. Also it's nice to see how other games play out on unknown maps.

camundahl

Post by camundahl »

Fuck yeah this is awesome! :)

Maybe I'll even join....

The question is, am I Turtle AI, Normal AI, Build Dogs or Fundahl....

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Cool, let me know when you know ;)

flamewh33l

Post by flamewh33l »

i wasn't planning on joinning beforehand since i've not played ORA all that much anymore for the Red Alert mod, and especially not with shroud still enabled. it's a cool idea, and i think it'll work out nicely, but the number of players trying to join is quite shocking to me, almost none existant anymore. so it kinda liven it up: the "glutton for punishment" shall join in as well. :D

i've a sneaking suspicion that yes: Allies will be more beneficial than Soviets in terms of scouting, Allies is a faction that requires information over straight power, and their units command to this. Soviets may have to take a small buff to either vision or perhaps health on some units that're considered scouts for them (APC, Flak Truck & Dogs). this'll give them a fairer opportunity to scout Allies and make it harder for strategical army play on Allies front (having arty at the back, hinds up in the air and blobs of tanks and infantry dotting about the place, converging inward on you) but equally could open up more ideas for Soviet players. just a thought to have.

GL&HF everyone partaking in the Shadow Games.