I'm pulling out of OpenRA.

Discussion about the game and its default mods.

Post by .1 »

noobmapmaker wrote: I think its good to start transferring the organisation of RAGL S04 asap... hopefully SoScared wants to be involved with the transfer to some extent. For starters to prevent the competition from falling in the hands of random crazies. The second part will be the practical part: please make a list of things that have to happen so people can decide for themselves if they are up for the job or perhaps stand up to do bits of the work.

Personally I was also curious about the "more agressive" advertising of the league you have planned. Through which channels? Or should we have an in between RAGL season and not expand to much in times of turmoil?
I am willing to step up. a few people have also said they would help. I have a message out to SOS on discord asking for some details. Hopefully he responds soon.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

Thanks for the kind words, it really does mean a lot.

I'm sure my addictive personality will lead me back one way or another.

@NMM: Technically I'm not really in a position to decide who takes on the league but if the choice were to exist I'd naturally want to see it continued by someone capable. I see the interest has sprung up already, which is great, and I do feel responsible so what I'll do during this week is to address the league management so that those who are interested might have their decision made easier and the job less tedious.

@Jazz_KCS: Yeah sorry about the sudden turn of events. As far as I'm concerned you're now currently head the league, if you'd want the job it's yours :) Besides anyone would be a fool not to take advantage of your resourcefulness in any future event.

I'll also pitch one final balance PR out of the playtest series as the workload on that was for the most part done prior to my summer vacation. It was halted for the most part due to the work on the trailer and in anticipation of the hitshape/unitstance playtest but it would be pretty stupid to throw away hundreds of observed matches with map distribution reaching 6k downloads on team- and 4k on 1v1-maps for the 1.6a version alone. I never did the count with 1.6b but shouldn't be too far behind.

A few more words on that since I managed eventually to sneak a balance hijacker into OpenRA's flagship mod:

When it comes to game balancing I've learned to trust numbers, not theory-crafting. Naturally as a content creator and with easy access to both competitive and casual players I've been in a unique position to earn the trust and authority on the matter but I've used that position to crank out bigger numbers over time which allowed me to fight for influence and eventually exclusive access to the RA mods' balance for the current 20170517 release. Producing the numbers is the most tedious thing but at the end of the day as a player that's what's needed in order to inspire confidence in what you've changed as you can address them in pretty much any context brought up and, best of all, prove yourself right when your change goes live. This is the point which for has been hardest to address to others simply because of noone having anything that resembled my platform and to reiterate that point would feel disingenuous. "But balancing skill and insight SoScared, what about those?" I honestly don't know. You either have it or you don't but honestly it's not that hard. My changes has been inching forward, building up a set of changes that started with a couple of ideas a year ago, most of which weren't mine, slowly up towards a big symphony of changes that works together on all maps and all player setups. It's a turtle race. I mean if you stumbled over this thread (link) today without any knowledge on how it got to that point, you would think I'm a wannabe mad scientist but this list of changes came out of a very long series of tests allowing me to continuously layer one change on top of another with a certain level of confidence.

For me personally game balancing has always come before the league reason being that the league's growth and potential rests on the former. The game balancing streams has always been the most successful ones and for me to this day I can't really think of a more colorful experience with OpenRA than to tap into the potentiality of change into something better. I also can't think of any more frustrating venture as you will inevitably have to battle naysayers, theorycrafters, alarmists and what not. Although there definitely is a certain division between the developer branch and player base, getting through isn't necessarily that tough but it does require a certain investment in time learning how they work and a shitton of patience. As long as one enjoy the process there is no problem but if you're a moron like me you do this while forming a league, maintain a community stream and produce video content that cuts into your sleep hours.

I'd love to see the RA mod and future mods balanced in a way that promotes both fun and competitive spirit but there are no short cuts and no-one is getting paid. I really do hope players will commit but I'd strongly recommend to put in the work first and try avoid writing a thesis. Learn brevity. The latter part I learned the hard way when I first attempted to get aboard some changes with the 20161018 release. I can see that part being a challenge to some in the future :P In any case patience is key.

As mentioned I'll be back with some stuff on the league later this week. glhf
Last edited by SoScared on Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SirCake

Post by SirCake »

Whoa, you must have felt quite the counterpressure recently o.O

So many things you did inspired others, man..!^^ Youtube casts (afaik 5A was inspired by you), 10k balancing revision mod maps by various auothors and recent tournaments all originate of of SoSpiration.

I hope you find enjoyment in your follow up hobby, or return and cherry-pick whatever you liked best about ORA! :)

Cheers

Check out Dune2k-Advanced on my moddb page!

Blackened

Post by Blackened »

Back in my C&C Renegade days there was an inside joke between all the veterans. You can leave but you can never quit. Plenty of people, myself included, took a long break only to miss it too much and come back. Even now as Renegade is just a memory there are those of us who habitually return to the ren forums just to check in. I get very similar vibes to OpenRA.

I'll definitely offer up my services to help run RAGL and even try to continue your efforts in your play tests(and I'm sure others will too.)

So you take of your self Mister SoScared. And if and when you do get that urge to come back we'll be right here doing what we always do. TS/RA2 still wont be released though. :lol:

3.Lucian

Post by 3.Lucian »

I wonder if we can start a patreon for SoScared to bribe him to stay? :P

jaZz_KCS

Post by jaZz_KCS »

@Jazz_KCS: Yeah sorry about the sudden turn of events. As far as I'm concerned you're now currently head of the league, if you'd want the job it's yours :D Besides anyone would be a fool not to take advantage of your resourcefulness in any future event.
Flattering words, sudden unexpected promotion. To keep things official I have to throw in a few cents now...

But everybody probably already knows that I - although I would really love to - simply could not take over the job as match administrator as well. It takes a lot of time to keep these ladders going (which I simply do not have) and the amount of player interaction is staggering. If you guys could just quickly peek into the RAGL email account you would instantly see what I mean.

Kudos to you again, without such a flawless and steady workload handed in by the primary official this project would have broke down seasons ago.

I am very happy to see that you are taking your time in looking for a suitable replacement for your position, and I am also very happy to see that there are already volunteers lining up for this.

Actually, this would also have been my one and only order ever as primary official if you'd had bailed - finding a replacement immediately, for I just cannot carry this onwards alone. For you all know me, when it comes to the core, my interests are higher than my humble skills. I am more of the type that wants to see things grow, and help along the process. I entered this community 3 years ago with the aim helping this community grow...

In that spirit...and to keep things rollin'..:
[salute] I hereby ( - and of course I do) forfeit all ascension rights to the RAGL administration throne and instead eagerly await my new superior. [/salute]
King SoScared shall instead choose from the list of volunteers that have already shown themselves. I know he will choose wisely.
Handing over the administrative torch of this monster project is a workload of its own.

64H replay archive and game servers are standing by to get this show on the road for Season IV.
RAGL -->Replay Archive<--

Mo

Post by Mo »

Best of luck with whatever you do! I think your streams really brought the community together and hopefully that'll continue on with the recent transfers to other streamers. :)

FiveAces

Post by FiveAces »

This is definitely a big blow for the community!

You have always been one of the pillars of OpenRA nad have continuously tried to push both the game and the competitive scene forward,
expending untold amounts of time and resources in the process.

Naturally, change does not always come without resistance,
and I completely understand how fruitless discussions over even the smallest of details have whittled away at your patience.
Nevertheless, these will be some big shoes to fill.

I've gotten to know you as a fellow streamer and friend, and it was a great run!
Being the frontliner that you are, I'm not expecting you to fully retire but rather step back from the spotlight.

Here's to hoping you'll be back on the battlefield at some point!

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

@FiveAces: Well, you know what happened last time I did a vanishing act: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=331Hr5oaw0M&t=19s

I simply just upped the stakes^^

JuiceBox

Post by JuiceBox »

Salute to the GodFather of RA
"Just when I thought I was out.... They pull me back in!"
I hope this quote comes into affect someday.
Take it easy Boss
"I love the smell of JuiceBoxes in the morning"
LT. COL. Bill Kilgore
Apocalypse Now

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

Regarding RAGL. I've decided to ship over all assets and player information over to Blackened.

That means as of this moment he has the means to set the agenda and stake out the direction of the league as he sees fit. I've noticed the interest is very strong and many are willing to help which is great and I hope those interested continue this attitude towards the future. With Blackened at the wheels I believe the league has the best chance at maintaining its growth and legitimacy as a grand competitive event.

As for the practicality of things the transition won't necessarily be a cake walk. I'll do my best to hand over everything in an orderly manner and will make myself available if called upon during the transition but as pointed out above, Blackened has taken command of the event and is the one to make the decisions on how to move forward.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Ok, good! We'll await his actions. Im willing to do a bit of dirty work throughout S04.
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

SirCake

Post by SirCake »

I've decided to ship over all assets and player information over to Blackened.
Naval Playtest maps in the map-pool incoming :D

Check out Dune2k-Advanced on my moddb page!

jaZz_KCS

Post by jaZz_KCS »

SoScared wrote: Regarding RAGL. I've decided to ship over all assets and player information over to Blackened.
Technical League Official jaZz_KCS welcomes his new dark and naval overlord.
RAGL -->Replay Archive<--

Blackened

Post by Blackened »

SirCake wrote: Naval Playtest maps in the map-pool incoming :D
Image :shifty: :lol: :D JK
jaZz_KCS wrote: Technical League Official jaZz_KCS welcomes his new dark and naval overlord.
Excellent!

I wanted to make a brief reply here, I'll probably make a separate topic later but this weekend is super busy for me.

Firstly, I want to thank SoS for the honor and privilege of taking this torch. I hope I live up your reputation. :)

Secondly, for this season in particular I'm going to try to keep things similar to S03 as I don't want to add too many new hiccups. While I do have some changes in mind, the bulk of them are back end (to help me).

Lastly, I'll just want to caution patience. I have a feeling SoS did much more than most realize and this is going to quite the undertaking. Mistakes will be made.

Thanks guys! ^^