Playtest Review Thread

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

I play on a very high level I know when a change is terrible I'm not an idiot whos been playing for 10 minuites. If I think its terrible without even wanting to play more I know its bad. That's not the best way of doing it you need to micro armies to punish players for plowing assets into one point in the map. Kazu is brilliant at it while you have won one front through base push his armies have camped every one of your ore patches and your fucked. Hence why no one at high levels base push vs eachother unless its situational as it is countered so easily.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Ok so did bunch of games against bots and I must say... I do really miss the old a-move!

Its quite nice to just sometime let you army a-move (in the old way) through a base as far as it gets and meanwhile you are doing other stuff somehwere else. The old a-move was a potentially very inefficient move if you dont pay attention (e.g.: your units are attacking buildings while being destroyed by pillboxes/arty). Yet in some situations its really nice to just attack everything in one line from A to B and meanwhile do other stuff.

Whereas now you'll have to:
- 'new a-move', but then you dont kill any buildings and your units are just standing there untill you return for instructions
- Alt-a just into the base, or just in front. But that means your units will first walk into the base and once theyve reached their destination they will attack buildings. Can't do to much somehwere else because you have to check back quickly to Alt-a them a bit further into the base.
- Shift-attack several buildings, but then you dont attack any units.
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

You can switch stance in the middle of a base and demolish it really quickly this way as well.

If you switch to attack anything as the stance they will 1A everything in their path. Only thing is having to keep an eye on your army to switch stances or select fire when new units are made in the attacked base.

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

Ok I'll let lorrydriver know he needs to now when micromanaging 5 armies on 3 points that he know has to cycle the stances on said 5 armies. Maybe Yellow is right we need smaller maps so there's less to multitask so we can deal with it.

OMnom

Post by OMnom »

I will reiterate my previous thoughts on this...

I can see why people would like to have different types of A-move; it gives casual players the illusion that they're doing something strategical. In reality, the "Attack Everything" stance is just a "one-click button" to raze buildings down AFTER you've already won the engagement. There is no reason to switch stances if you just focus fire the army, the MCV, and the pillboxes (two of which are already auto-targeted by the new smart move). You can just keep rolling forward as you use your spare army to clean up the barracks, or, you could camp them with pillboxes (they could use concrete walls to protect their barracks from being camped, but it is impossible to block a pillbox that is placed directly above the barracks).

This smart A-move makes the game a lot easier, which is good for appealing to the casual player base. However, imho, making a simple game even simpler is going to make this game less interesting. I've been MIA for quite a while now, but I will try to hop on the new playtest to see what happens.

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

I will try again to detail the idea i have regarding the stance in this reply and i hope better structured :

The new stances of the playtest in details :
  • Hold fire :
    [tab]immobile : Stay passive whatever happens, ignore buildings
    [tab]Amove : ignore buildings
  • return fire :
    [tab]immobile : Stay passive untill being shot at hold position, ignore buildings
  • defence :
    [tab]immobile : fire on sight but hold position, ignore buildings
  • attackanything :
    [tab]immobile : fire on sight and pursuit/move to engage close target, kill buildings
    [tab]Amove : kill buildings
The main change here is the implementation of the ignore buildings on 3 of the 4 stances. Wich left only one possible behaviour for the ones who want to set their units in auto attacking building and this stance is unconfiortable because it leads into suicidal units.

My sugestion is removing the ignore building/attack building trait from the stances themself and put it in a separate hotkey wich set the behaviour you choose for ALL stances.

Example having the "b" hotkey as "ignore building ON/OFF"

So i can set my units in
  • Hold fire :
    [tab]immobile : Stay passive whatever happens, ignore buildings ON/OFF
    [tab]Amove : ignore buildings ON/OFF
  • return fire :
    [tab]immobile : Stay passive untill being shot at,hold position, ignore buildings ON/OFF
  • defence :
    [tab]immobile : fire on sight but hold position, ignore buildings ON/OFF
  • attackanything :
    [tab]immobile : fire on sight and pursuit/move to engage close target, ignore buildings ON/OFF
I'll not say wich stance should be by default and if targeting building should be ON/OFF by default, but i can suggest to have 2 options in the menu to select that.

I remind that the targeting is still important even in HOLD FIRE because it affects the AMOVE.

As to finish this i'll ask you if this time i managed to demonstrate clearly the idea. I insist; I don't need you to agree with it, just know you understood me (that would be my reward).

maceman

Post by maceman »

Happy, you should have just said in your first post that you only want people to post if they agree with you. Also change the thread title to "Happy knows best".

Otherwise if you want people's opinions, let them speak without abusing them every post that isn't 100% in line with what you thought after your 1 game.

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

If you read their replys you would see they challenged my view therefore i responded. Hence why i didnt respond to yours, whocares raishiwi or orbs because you didnt question the view. And will people atop highlighting the 1 game review I know its only 1 game Im not an idiot at this game If i can already make that conclusion after one game it says something.
Last edited by Clockwork on Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

STUKA

Post by STUKA »

Love the command bar very much, the implementation of the money trucks in TD are great too (though id like to see them behind the mcv in the production tab).

netnazgul

Post by netnazgul »

To double of what I said in discord - @WhoCares gives a good solution in that we both retain the same mechanics as before (if Defence stance and Ignore Buildings OFF is default), but have options for a greater control over army movement.

PS Action bar is nice btw in that it says a lot of useful non-evident info in tooltips (like alt-clicking chronotanks ;) ). Should be toggleable ofc

Orb

Post by Orb »

:\

I don't want to start a fight, but no one is going to take you seriously unless you play more. And use better reasons than "I'm a pro". I mean, I'm impressed you admitted in your first post you only played one game. But to think that strengthens your argument is ridiculous.

anjew

Post by anjew »

STUKA wrote: Love the command bar very much, the implementation of the money trucks in TD are great too (though id like to see them behind the mcv in the production tab).
I believe they are placed there to keep up consistency with tech levels (an earlier issue). I had originally placed them there as it was easier on the eyes and didnt interfere with keybinds. I would like to see it changed as well but its something i can get used to (given time)

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Sounds good, Whocares!

I'd like to add that if I tested it correctly, in the current Playtest you can't even use the Attack Anything stance to reliably destroy buildings, because your units only attack buildings when they stand still. So if I set them to that stance and move them through a base they will walk through the base and only start attacking buildings at the end (when they've reached their destination and stand still).

Unless I'm doing something wrong!
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

Happy, I can't tell from your replies whether you are serious or whether this is satire. In case you are serious, all I can ask: what do you plan to do when the release comes in a few weeks?

profess

Virus / Trojan

Post by profess »

Hi, not sure if mentioned by anyone.

Had some computer issues (Windows 7, which still exist after uninstalling the playtest).

Virus scanner seems to have found a trojan virus in the playtest redalert.exe file:

https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/3960 ... /analysis/

Seems I am not the only one to have scanned it also.

Regards all,

Profess