Why do you play OpenRA?

Discussion about the game and its default mods.

Why do you play OpenRA?

Modding
7%
Mapping
7%
Competitive Scene
31%
Media (OpenRA streams etc)
2%
Nostalgia
21%
Casual gaming
31%

Total votes: 42

anjew

Why do you play OpenRA?

Post by anjew »

Just a bit curious as to what it is about OpenRA that appeals to other players.

As I'm sure most of you are aware, there is a lot more to OpenRA than remakes (re-imaginations) of WestWood Games. There is modding, mapping, a competitive scene as well as a good dose of entertainment from the streams and the videos.

This isn't so much about why players started playing OpenRA but more to do with "Why OpenRA?"

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

Nostalgia is my number one.

Competitive is my number two.

Mods is my number three.

Been a big fan of RTS games in general. A large list of them ive never been that good at. I always get to a point where I can dissect the game and learn its flaws.

CNC95 being the one that started it all for me.

Doomsday

Post by Doomsday »

I never played any CnC games as a kid so nostalgia factor doesn't exist for me.

I play OpenRA for competitive scene. I could say I also play it casually because I chose this game because I feel minimum required skill level is much lower than in other RTS games I know. I feel this game doesn't require as much APM as other games and for the most parts the game is more forgiving. For these reasons even "potato tier" games have pretty good gameplay. Occasionally someone forgets to produce harvesters from his war factory but other games have way more games being decided for similar stupid rookie mistakes in low skill level.

I could partly pick mapping and media from the available options but competitive scene is definately the main thing for me right now.
The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.
-Sun Tzu

Hecthor Doomhammer

Post by Hecthor Doomhammer »

For me it's a mix of nostalgia, competitiveness andere of course that it is a source for me to stream.
Tho I myself don't play competitive whatever is shown on my streams often is.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Mix of everything: nostalgia + mapping. But also enjoy high level play and watching streams/youtube with good commentary.

I like how versatile OpenRA is. Back in the days I was flabbergasted by the map editor.. you could actually build maps yourself and then play on them!!??! that blew my young mind. It was only a couple years after my tries to reach the end of MS Dos by holding enter. Yeah computers where new to me :D
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

Anykeyich

Post by Anykeyich »

For me there exist several reasons.

Reason number zero is a nostalgy. I did not play RA by myself, but I remember quite good those times when came to visit my cousin and saw him playing. I did not have a PC at that moment, so that process was absolutely new and amazing.

Reason number one is
Doomsday wrote: I feel minimum required skill level is much lower than in other RTS games I know. I feel this game doesn't require as much APM as other games and for the most parts the game is more forgiving.
You have red my thoughts. It is much easier to become a good player in this game than in other RTS. RTS is not so popular genre now, the games like WC3 and SC2 now require much more time to get good. I don't know any other modern RTS which is under constant development and is so convenient to play. (Probably only SC2) I always wanted to become a good player in some game and seems that openRA is the best choice with respect to time and fun. :)

Reason number two is community. People here are not only players, but they are all interested in the develompment of the game and are very friendy. We are all united by the wish to make this game even better. And there are plenty of videos which you can watch and enjoy.

And reason number free: the game is opensoursed and does not require that many resources of your PC. It makes me happy as a person who is used to pay for all the software and has not so powerful PC. :)

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

I play RA because the maulings i got from good players when I first started gave me stockholm syndrome :D

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Came for the nostalgia, stayed for the competitive scene.
"Do not trust the balance tzars (Smitty, Orb). They are making the changes either for the wrong reasons, for no reason at all, or just because they can and it makes them feel good." - Alex Jones

Mo

Post by Mo »

Smitty wrote: Came for the nostalgia, stayed for the competitive scene.
Succinctly put. Likewise the same for me here.

flamewh33l

my answer

Post by flamewh33l »

mine is a mix of Nostalgia from playing the original Red Alert (admittedly it was a console version to my dismay), Modding from tinkering away at the code to do some weird and wacky stuff that you'd otherwise wouldn't do and the Competitive scene (though i'm more what i'd like to call 'semi-competitive') for the crazy games that can be had. it's insane what you can do in such games

Blackened

Post by Blackened »

pretty much everything but the casual gaming.

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

The forum; I just play openra to have something to post here, my life is a big void. Be sad for me.

eskimo

Post by eskimo »

Joined for the nostalgia hit after playing some RA2 again. I currently really enjoy it, but my enjoyment of 1vs1 games has slowed down despite my skill progress. I'm enjoying some team games now too, but always make sure to play a bit of 1vs1 ;)

FRenzy

Post by FRenzy »

All those points into account, but mainly :

Because of nostalgia for the C&C series (RA & TS were my fav games back as a kid).

And because it's amazing to see this game revived, improved, and constantly evolving, thanks to its community of developers and players.

It's a great showcase of how good open-source games can become !

My (dormant) YouTube channel : FRenzy OpenRA
Join the map-making train here

IronScion

Post by IronScion »

WhoCares wrote: The forum; I just play openra to have something to post here, my life is a big void. Be sad for me.
Don't worry buddy, I'm sad for you ;)
"Each denomination in the new series of banknotes will feature a different species of Australian wattle" - Mint Spokesman