General Discussion / Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Put all your ideas, questions, and suggestions in here

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
MustaphaTR

Post by MustaphaTR »

ZxGanon wrote:
fernoe wrote: Is it possible to give payers the radar view at the start of the game, even without any structures being built?
Yes it can be coded so that an unpacked mcv does provide radar view.
I think you can also put ProvidesRadar: on Player: actor but i'm not sure.

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

The discussion about kill bounties in RA has been split to a new thread.

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

MustaphaTR wrote: I think you can also put ProvidesRadar: on Player: actor but i'm not sure.
Yep, that's the best solution to grant radar for the entire game.

eskimo

Post by eskimo »

Guys, talk to me about Soviet vs Allies naval?

Me and Balloon were playing Dual Cold Front and he shut off all my ore patches with destroyers and cruisers. I am under the (poorly) informed impression (from playing 2v2 games) that subs don't cut it vs destroyers.

Are there any other counters? V2/ Mid micro only?

Thanks in advance.

OMnom

Post by OMnom »

Naval is in a weird spot right now...basically, you want to snipe the naval yard with subs, and use large numbers of subs to kill the destroyers. From my (limited) experience, 1v1, the destroyer will win, but subs tend to do better in larger numbers and at a closer range.

If you want a non-naval counter to destroyers, rocket soldiers on the shores is always a cheap fix. Deny the destroyers vision, and they shouldn't be able to hit the harvesters w/o taking rocket fire.

Materianer

Post by Materianer »

OMnom wrote: Naval is in a weird spot right now...basically, you want to snipe the naval yard with subs, and use large numbers of subs to kill the destroyers. From my (limited) experience, 1v1, the destroyer will win, but subs tend to do better in larger numbers and at a closer range.

If you want a non-naval counter to destroyers, rocket soldiers on the shores is always a cheap fix. Deny the destroyers vision, and they shouldn't be able to hit the harvesters w/o taking rocket fire.
You dont need large numbers usually subs are much stronger than destroyers if you know how to use them right.
you have to take care and dont get so close to the destroyers so that the waterbombs dont hit you.
You can let one of your subs swim throug a group of destroyers and let some other subs spreaded fire at them. If the allie player dont take care he will loose his ships very fast.

If he escapes and hunts your subs just swim away and try it again after a while.

I would say it strongly depends on the map, on maps with a lot of water it is much easyier to escape with subs and start sneak attacks there you also dont have a so high risk to get shot by airunits.
On a map with only a bit water it is hard as a soviet player because you can not escape so easy and you always have to take care that the subs dont hit the cliffs or beach instead of they'r target.

As a non naval counter to ships v2 and arty are also good.

OMnom

Post by OMnom »

How many hours do you guys log on OpenRA every week? I've played maybe a grand total of 3 hrs over the past 4 weeks...

Clockwork

Post by Clockwork »

Over the bank holiday weekend i streamed and played a total 36 hours maybe :D

OMnom

Post by OMnom »

Having work during the RA happy hours really sucks for people with a 10hr time zone difference...

fernoe

Post by fernoe »

Hi guys

I am currently trying to add separate production queues into red alert, like how the tiberium dawn mod does it. I've removed ClassicProductionQueue stuff from player.yaml and added ProductionQueue stuff to buildings. I get separate production queues but now the production tabs dont work, ie i deploy my construction yard but the structure tab and defense tab wont work. What tag do i need to fix this?

OMnom

Post by OMnom »

I'd suggest asking on IRC or in the Map and modding forum for one the devs to answer your question. Regardless though, it'd be much more helpful if you showed us your code with the

Code: Select all

button here.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

The following is a completely insignificant idea that I’ve finally been bored enough to write out:

Several .yaml weapon names are named after real world weapons. They should be changed to generic terms so that people who aren’t military junkies can find them easier.

(Riflemen) change M1Carbine to Rifle: The M1 is an American made semi-automatic rifle. Makes sense for the Allies but the Soviets would likely use the AK-47.
(Rocket Soldier) change Dragon to ATGM and change Redeye to MANPADS: The Dragon and Redeye were both American made weapons. ATGM (Anti-Tank Guided Missile) would be a generic designation that would cover both Allies and Soviets while still sounding military. MANPADS (Man-portable air-defense system) would do the same thing. If you want even more generic, go ‘Anti-Tank Missile’ and ‘Anti-air Missile’.
(Ranger, APC) change M60mg to HMG or Heavy Machine Gun.
(AA Gun) change ZSU-23 to AAA. The ZSU-23 is a Soviet made vehicle.
(SAM Site) change Nike to SAM. I actually had to look up Nike (my history buff cred is dropping). TIL the Sprint missile came out of Project Nike. Anyhow, American project; Soviet weapon in-game.

............... On second thought, these weapons being all over the place justifies keeping the Hind on Team Blue. No need to change anything. :drunk:
"Do not trust the balance tzars (Smitty, Orb). They are making the changes either for the wrong reasons, for no reason at all, or just because they can and it makes them feel good." - Alex Jones

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

What % of a game of 1v1 RA is (approximatly) skill and how much is luck?
How does this change for 1v1 TD?

Given that roulette is 100% luck and chess is a game of 0% luck (which is only theoretically true as you can be lucky that your opponent has a bad day,). Most games are something n between.
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

noobmapmaker wrote: What % of a game of 1v1 RA is (approximatly) skill and how much is luck?

Given that roulette is 100% luck and chess is a game of 0% luck (which is only theoretically true as you can be lucky that your opponent has a bad day,). Most games are something n between.
That's the question of the day.

I'll give some example of situation wich can be a turn in the game :

I place my radar dome and 1 second later 3 hinds are on it destroying it because they were just passing by. I had 4 conyards in the map and without a precise reason i putted it there, lost 1 min to rebuild it in a tech race wich putted me back. *Luck, Skill of my opponent or lack of skill of myself ?*

Start an enge cap on the enemy main conyard and sacrifice an army in a bad encounter elsewhere on the map just to draw the atention in order to base push my opponent main base from the inside with it's own conyard and with it's army out of position. 95% of the cap the enge go down to a heavy tank just popping up ou of the wf, the heavy was not even under micro, he was just there. *Luck, Skill of my of opponent or lack of skill of myself ?*

I have a fine blob of 15 rifles, 3 rockets and guarding proudly my derricks freshly capped, an apc shows up, i press scatter, and my 3 rockets move right under the path of the apc and get all crushed at once, which let the apc clear way to clean the rest and recap the derrick : *Luck, Skill of my opponent or lack of skill of myself ?*

As far as i'm experienced, bad day are a succession of bad decisions with bad resulst or just random event that take you out some "what the fuck" or "omg you can't be that lucky" or the classic : "No way". The bad day is hard to counter because it clouds the mind and everything you try to do goes toilets. Everyone has them and sometimes it just feels you have to wait the next day.

For the rest, in this game with the general lack of scout, people gamble with their game decision, so it's mostly skill because they have all opportunity to try to find out first what they are about to move into. (I'm part of those people) So it's no luck related.(yep, i just said i suck)

And by the way, there is the famous saying "Luck is part of skill". I justify it by : Having skill, you have access to more form of gameplay and will be able to try things that nobody does, basically you'll get access to more "luck opportunity".

Openra is for me (in my opinion, what i think for myself, wich i don't force anyone to beleive) 80% skill, 15% bad days and 5% pure luck. (Barf has a higher luck percentage, around 95%, but hell it's Barf ^^)

ShadowAssassin

Post by ShadowAssassin »

noobmapmaker wrote: What % of a game of 1v1 RA is (approximatly) skill and how much is luck?

IMO luck is only related to random events, such as : crushes, arty selling precision, rifleman spawn from selling, crates if enabled, ... (+ if we consider imbalance issues as "bad luck" but I don't)

For me all the rest is based on strategy, tactics and decisions like WhoCares said !
So for me I'd say 1% chance based !