General Discussion / Simple Questions, Simple Answers

Put all your ideas, questions, and suggestions in here

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Allthough Im thankfull for Pchote hosting Sleipnirstuff and everything... I think that OpenRA could use a forum on it's own. In fact with with all other services implemented. I am very much aware that this requires lots coding :)
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

OMnom

Post by OMnom »

Doomsday wrote: I am personally quite against mega threads. They become cluttered easily and occasionally when new player asks something, there is elitistic response of something like "Already answered in pages 5, 27 and 89. Please read entire thread before posting".

However, quick and simple answers type of thread could be alright. But I think most threads Omnom linked for reference have relevant discussion and I don't see simple questions thread achieving similar results.
These type of mega-threads are supposed to be cluttered. That way, people can just post their stupid shit /simple questions into this thread rather than bringing it into threads that have substance or flooding the forum with empty threads. Smitty's thread got fucking ruined by people saying "well what if we did this," and I'm partially responsible for letting those people loose on his thread. I can't tell them to go to the "Think Tank Sub Forum" because there is no sub forum -- the most we can do is to make a thread where they can put all their ideas in here.

If the time ever comes where we get more than 10 different people posting in a day, we can separate the general discussion from the Simple questions. If a question keeps popping up repeatedly, then we can just edit the main post with that reply.

Doomsday

Post by Doomsday »

OMnom wrote: I can't tell them to go to the "Think Tank Sub Forum" because there is no sub forum -- the most we can do is to make a thread where they can put all their ideas in here..
How about instead we ask for subforums? Something like General discussion, offtopic, suggestions and balance discussion as an example?
The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting.
-Sun Tzu

OMnom

Post by OMnom »

Doomsday wrote:
OMnom wrote: I can't tell them to go to the "Think Tank Sub Forum" because there is no sub forum -- the most we can do is to make a thread where they can put all their ideas in here..
How about instead we ask for subforums? Something like General discussion, offtopic, suggestions and balance discussion as an example?
According to anjew and some other mods, the backend of this forum apparently have some problems with adding new subforums, moderators, etc. This thread is the best short term solution we can do for now.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

A simple Q&A sticky thread could solve many of these issues. People in this forum are generally willing to help. Good initiative.

Demand for more forum structure will likely just increase with time.

Wippie

Post by Wippie »

Simple question:

I was modding a map from a 2v2 map into a competitive 1v1 map. It was a map from the mapcontest (I did not make the original but gained permission to edit it).

I was watching a bot game to check out the dynamics and Rush AI just started burning down trees with a bunch of flamethrowers. I have never seen this behaviour before. Is it something in the map? Why is this happening?

Map: http://resource.openra.net/maps/20082/
Replay: https://ufile.io/4fd07

Blackened

Post by Blackened »

Wippie wrote: Simple question:

I was modding a map from a 2v2 map into a competitive 1v1 map. It was a map from the mapcontest (I did not make the original but gained permission to edit it).

I was watching a bot game to check out the dynamics and Rush AI just started burning down trees with a bunch of flamethrowers. I have never seen this behaviour before. Is it something in the map? Why is this happening?

Map: http://resource.openra.net/maps/20082/
Replay: https://ufile.io/4fd07
Gave it a quick look. Looks like some of those trees are creeps instead of neutral? Creeps are considered enemy units and I'm not sure Bots are smart enough to differentiate between them.

OMnom

Post by OMnom »

Whats more useless: dogs, hijackers, or SAM sites?

eskimo

Post by eskimo »

Hijacking SAM's dog?

JOo

Post by JOo »

noobmapmaker wrote: Allthough Im thankfull for Pchote hosting Sleipnirstuff and everything... I think that OpenRA could use a forum on it's own. In fact with with all other services implemented. I am very much aware that this requires lots coding :)
<microbit> pchote : any chance of a possible forum-upgrade before or "for" the anniversary ?
<pchote> if somebody wanted to help with the web site, then I don't see why not
<pchote> someone to make a new theme and implement any other mods we need to phpbb
<microbit> well uuh ... isnt a simple upgrade good enough ?
<pchote> not really possible
<pchote> the forum is running heavily modified code
<pchote> the database can be converted to phpbb3, but everything else needs to be redone from scratch
<microbit> the sins of young paul ... now you are an old haxor ... fix it !!! :D
<Phrohdoh> "the sins of young paul" sounds like an interesting movie title
<microbit> what is "everything else" ? kel and your card-game ?
<microbit> if so , then i totally agree
<pchote> anti-spam

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

I have been laughing a lot myself about this topic and all the fuss it generate in the lobby and on the forum. But i might use it cose i'm too lazy to bother someone on irc.

sandbags and fences ?

1) What's the difference (exept the look ofc)
2) why do we keep in game 2 things that are never used (i know, OMnom and it's group prison etc but i don't think that was the purpose of the creators of it)
3) Could it be done something and should it be done something ?
4) In case that would be considerate, my own idea :

Fences : can be crushed by everything exept infantry / doesn't block any attack
Sandbag : Can't be crushed like concretet / doesn't block any attack

So fences are still useless in the comp game but sandbag could be usefull to protect your inf from massive tank crushing without becoming a game breaker. (can be thought about a compromise that medium and heavy can crush it but with a huge loss of speed like a 1 or 2 sec freezing)

Or any idea that would make them usefull.
Last edited by WhoCares on Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OMnom

Post by OMnom »

I sometimes spam them around an opposing MCV to prevent them from deploying.

I think it'd be cool if sandbags could block only rifle shots from a far distance. As for fences, I think it'd be really cool if u could attach them to tesla coils to turn them into electric fences that damage stuff that try to walk through it. I think your movespeed reduction for tanks crushing sandbags/fences is also a good idea that could be used.

WhoCares

Post by WhoCares »

Sandbag providing close protection could be a game changer but a good one.

If this game mechanic is possible here my sugestion : inf get the same as prone resistance when they are in the cell next to the sendbag, be doubled or tripled if they prone.

The only problem is how to determin that the attack is coming from the other side of the sendbag :'(

OMnom

Post by OMnom »

I think that sort of thing requires some kind of conditional trait support for all actors...I think if we get high ground / low ground mechanics to use, implementing something similar for sandbags should be doable.

zinc

Post by zinc »

If you made sandbags much better at standing up to flame, then they might have a use protecting an mcv at least.