logo

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
JOo

logo

Post by JOo »

Last edited by JOo on Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fortnight

Post by Fortnight »

This is probably the best way to go! :D It will take some time to reach a decision but we have time.

Personally I think the tank logo would be great without the health bar and the mouse cursor.

If possible I'd like to see a single-barrelled version of the tank as well. I don't know if it would be better or not, it's just that when I see two barrels I always think about Red Alert and the purpose of the logo switch was to distance OpenRA from Red Alert if I understood things right. Personally I wouldn't mind, the engine still has RA in its name after all. ;)

If you decide not to go with the tank for whatever reason I'll throw the "move cursor symbol" on the table:

+ It looks kind of the same in the current three available mods in OpenRA, at least the four green arrows pointing to the middle (indicating where you want to move the selected unit).
+ Some variation of it would be a decent symbol for the engine since it immediately brings my thoughts to a classic RTS, with no one special in mind (some people might think about Dune, others about Red Alert, others C&C95).
+ You could maybe combine all three move cursors into one, it would at least solve the simplicity desire that some people want and if it's rendered from an angle in 3D it could look pretty cool.

(That's a copy-and-paste from the front page comments where I went under a different nick. I hope I didn't come off too strong over there, it was not my intent!) :drunk:

There's a lot of feelings in this, let's find the best logo we can possibly get!

JOo

Post by JOo »

--
Last edited by JOo on Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

yellow (theRaffy)

Post by yellow (theRaffy) »

I like!

maxp779

Post by maxp779 »

I also like that cog :) Symmetrical logos are the best IMO.

I was going to suggest literally just using the 4 logos from here:
http://www.openra.net/images/bg.svg

Arrange 4 of them a bit closer together, delete the black and create transparency and go from there but use that as a base. But yeah I know that dosent fit the requirements because its tied to the individual games. So the cogs a better idea.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Don't really care tons about the logo, but for me the gunfire from the tank looked a bit out of place. 2D and cartoony compared to the tank.

I did like the healthbar, although I would have added 2/3 green blocks as we rather see a healthy tank.

I also do think it is good to continue the search. I understand why people think of it as an illustration rather than a logo. Would like to see how it looks on the desktop.
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

JOo

Post by JOo »

--
Last edited by JOo on Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

klaas

Post by klaas »

I actually like the tank. It looks slick, it is clearly a game, the double barrel reminds me of Dune2/CnC games but is not linked to a single game in particular.

Anyway, I also tried to make a logo, going for the corporate look:
http://imgur.com/PDQtwYn

There are several versions, with and without tank, but they all resolve around the same theme.

JOo

Post by JOo »

--
Last edited by JOo on Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

warman

Post by warman »

While I do like the gear logo, seeing how spring engine uses a gear logo as well, it should be avoided IMO.

I like klaas' typography, I think it would be great to update both the icon/logo and the typography, and his is a very good candidate for further development.
Last edited by warman on Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Doomsday

Post by Doomsday »

Ehh I don't really like the Klaas' typography. If I didn't know the name of this thing, I wouldn't be able to know it says OpenRA. Cool font but not at it's best here in my opinion.

I think tank logo has too much stuff happening. I would remove health bar, cursor and turret flames.

Cog logo is much different to Spring logo in my opinion. I didn't think of cogs when I saw Spring RTS logo.

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

Actually im curious now that I look at it again.

What if the tank is flipped using jaZz_KCS idea of putting the tank behind the Open part of the word. So the health bar is over the Op part of the wording out of the way a bit and the cursor is moved right under the en part of the word.

I like both the word and the tank. Health bar looks odd to me but might work.

OMnom

Post by OMnom »

anjew

Post by anjew »

I like the tank but it has a few too many elements in it. The gunfire and the mouse specifically for me. Otherwise I think its a beautiful logo that could represent openra.

However if I had to put my opinion into a vote I would go with the cog. Less is more.

klaas

Post by klaas »

Doomsday wrote: Ehh I don't really like the Klaas' typography. If I didn't know the name of this thing, I wouldn't be able to know it says OpenRA. Cool font but not at it's best here in my opinion.
I don't think you need to be able to read a logo straight away. For example the CNN logo or the General Electric Logo are only readable when you know what to read.

Anyway, I changed it up a bit, and now its even harder to read! 8)

http://imgur.com/gallery/xqwIH

AoAGeneral1 wrote: What if the tank is flipped using jaZz_KCS idea of putting the tank behind the Open part of the word. So the health bar is over the Op part of the wording out of the way a bit and the cursor is moved right under the en part of the word.
I tried this, but it looks too busy as it is. For something like this work, the pointer needs to be removed for sure, put probably also the tank needs less contrast to make the text stand out more.

I'm happy to provide the original image file to anyone who would like to try this btw.