I Appreciate Your Work And Honastly Like OpenRa

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
eddie

I Appreciate Your Work And Honastly Like OpenRa

Post by eddie »

I am watching the progress of the OpenRA development regularly. I care very much for the project although I only play offline as casual gamer.
I am concerned about the projects future. In the last months developers said several times that there are not enough reviewers/developers. Now I read on Github:
pchote:
Unfortunately I don't see a way around this. The business with the project logo has left a bad taste in my mouth, so i'm taking time away from OpenRA. @obrakmann, @abcdefg30, etc are also taking time off, so we're down to basically no reviewers for now.
It must be very frustrating to put so much work and effort and spare time into this project without receiving praise in advance. Critics can easily spoil your fun.
So I just want to tell all the developers: I appreciate your work and I honestly like OpenRA. I come to Github almost every day just to see what you guys are working on. I had a lot of fun playing OpenRA in the past years. I always look forward to new releases. I think you did a great job so far. The progress over the last years is incredible. So my wish for 2017 is for you: I wish you guys all the best and I whish you a great deal of joy coding OpenRA.

JOo

Post by JOo »

this is actually the 10th year of OpenRA - development ... (started in the middle of 2007) !

i feel the same, and i understand their need for a break after a (another) exhausting year. The last couple of days i was pretty much forced to think about the development of openra in 2016 ... since i volunteered to make the new-years-newspost ..

i actually didnt PR the text since i didnt feel i did it good enough nor catched everything important to say but this is what i got :
2016 ... what a great year for OpenRA !

Tons of Ore, Tiberium and Spice did get harvested ... an uncountable number of battles on tempered, snowy and deserted fields have been held.

Despite having only a handfull of Developers at all time, i think 2016 was a productive year and OpenRA made considerable progress thanks to a couple of relentless programmers who keep plumbing on this Open-Source-Engine by spending most of their free time doing the sisyphos-work of solving our tickets.

I think it's important to be aware of the fact that without this skilled group of people our engine would stay still and nobody would listen to our suggestions and complaints and then work on possible solutions.

Especially this year i've noticed the OpenRA-community did get more involved into the developing ... sleipnir-threads with polls popping up like mushrooms, the community is discussing more then ever all kinds of issues. On the other hand, our developers try to please the biggest chunk of the community with equal ideas by letting suggestions and contributions influence the development.

This is not always as easy as it reads here because some people seem to have a hard time lowering their own needs or accepting ideas from other community-members which can get quite exhausting for the developers. And we really dont want to scare off the few programmers we have.

I dont know about you guys, but for 2017 i will try and create a better environment for you, the players, modders, contributers and developers of OpenRA by showing friendliness, my respect and interest, read your ideas, upvote your dedication and effort and reward your work with a thank you.

I do that all for free and in my spare time ... all i ask for is to do the same ... how does that sound ?
and on a more personally note, after all the years i have spent on openra (99% shenanigans and playing on the engine) i would follow paul, lukas and oliver to whatever they are doing next (projects, games ... ) even if that means that they turn their back on OpenRA.

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach »

Honestly speaking, this whole community so far thanked my efforts with midfingers (if I get an actual response) yet recently I am among the major reviewers, so meh.

OTOH I'll still be around for a while though. At least I want to push OpenRA through 2017 at the moment. We'll see how it goes.
AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Well, maybe we do take things to much for granted? I'd like to take this opportunity and say THANK YOU SO MUCH! for working on a childhood memory and reviving it, but better!
Personally I see OpenRA growing and consolidating. I'm not sure the rate of growth is to the liking of everyone, but the numbers slowly go up. I also think there's a large silent group who thoroughly enjoys the game.
As someone who is out of the loop of the backend issues: what would help the Devs? Fresh blood? People with other skills than coding software? Let us know and let's see if the community can give back.
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

Irnub

Post by Irnub »

As a player - Openra is a really nice piece of work and I'd also like to throw in a Thanks! to all the devs who have contributed. You've all produced a fantastic re-creation of a classic game and childhood fave!

I don't really know any coding I'm afraid, so there's not much I can offer in that department.

@JOo Is that post meant for the front page of the site, like a yearly recap? Yeah, it could use a quick brush up and should probably mention the RA league and the mapmaking contests.

klaas

Post by klaas »

Graion Dilach wrote: Honestly speaking, this whole community so far thanked my efforts with midfingers (if I get an actual response)
Really? I think there are some really nice people in this community. Saying the community as a whole doesn't appreciate the efforts of devs is just not true, and can ruin the atmosphere and alienate nice people.

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach »

Yeah and I have nothing to speak with them. Only the less nicer ones intend to throw me words. That's why I went AWOL from IRC as well.
AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2

JOo

Post by JOo »

anjew wrote: The devs have been hard at work this year and ...
i think it could be pretty hard for everyone to imagine how that would look like ... so here is a couple of pictures on how most of the OpenRA-releases get done :

Fortnight

Post by Fortnight »

Sorry for asking but what was wrong with the business of the new logo? Wasn't the point of posting about it to get feedback and feedback was given, right? :? The general opinion seems to be people like the logo, they just want it without the health bar and without the mouse cursor. To bring down the details.

Granted people didn't exactly sugar coat their words but that never happens on the Internet. ;) It's not like everybody hated it and flamed anyone over it. The RedAlert star has been with everybody for so long that it's only natural people are passionate over it and want the best possible replacement.

I think it's a fine new logo! I'd hate to see the team break up just because of this (though of course it's possible that there's been more drama behind the scenes than I can't see).

Don't want to see OpenRA stagnate in 2017, let's make it a good year! I'm working on a few things for the game myself in the background, I'll show it to you guys later.

Materianer

Post by Materianer »

A lot of thanks from me too to you developers, you maybe dont know what it means to me and many other people that you rebuilded this RA.
It always was a big dream i had when i was young and the days of the old ra was counted, i knew one day someone will rebuild this great game and make it great again.

You are the guys that made the dream come true, so a big THANK YOU from me to you guys.

I know it is much work to develop such a game and after so many years it must be a bit frustrating if you always hear people crying around because of balance issues or whatever.

I am playing this game nearly 5 years now and must say you did a great job in that time.
All the crashes you fixed and things you added in that time.
All what this community needs here is already given to them in my opinion.

If they dont like the balancechanges you doing they can easylie create a new map and play with theyr own rules.

Same with the Logo, if you create a new Logo just do it and put it into the game, me if i was you would'nt give a **** what other people say about it then.

If you need a break from developing this game, no problem its your live and you can do whatever you want to do, you already did a really great job here and this game will not die without you.

Also you maybe should not care so much what people are writing or complaining about in this forum i think ( in all the forums are people who troll around or just want to spread theyr hate so dont care about them ! )

Of course polls are a nice thing or the fact that everyone can open a new threat here to discuss about the game but it is only a small part of the guys who are really playing openra and there are many people who play this game daylie and just love it.

cheers Materia ;D hf

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

I have now deleted two sets of comments from anjew in this thread personally attacking OpenRA developers. His attitude here was completely unacceptable and reinforces all the negative points that this topic was supposed to combat.

Thanks Anjew, behaviour like this is one reason why people choose to stop contributing to projects like OpenRA. If this does turn out to be OpenRA's slow death spiral then you can feel good knowing that you helped it along.

anjew

Post by anjew »

Sleipnir wrote: I have now deleted two sets of comments from anjew in this thread personally attacking OpenRA developers. His attitude here was completely unacceptable and reinforces all the negative points that this topic was supposed to combat.

Thanks Anjew, behaviour like this is one reason why people choose to stop contributing to projects like OpenRA. If this does turn out to be OpenRA's slow death spiral then you can feel good knowing that you helped it along.
Please don't personally attack me

eddie

Post by eddie »

As the times are rough again I just wanted to tell you:
dear developers, I'm still thankful for the great work!
It's great to kick some AIs ass after a long and hard day.
Thank you for bringing back this gem of my childhood.
Thank you for the daily fun I have playing it.
Thank you for coding the engine and improving it steadily.
Thank you for balancing the game.
OpenRA is great and i love it.

Orb

Post by Orb »

OpenRA is the only RTS I enjoy lately due to its highly tuned mechanics. Some things like vision that were frustrating at first turn out to produce highly entertaining gameplay. I guess it's much like Starcraft 1, where counterintuitively stuff like 12 unit limit selection and bad pathing add to gameplay. I've really started to appreciate the slow pace at which you implement changes to the competitive scene.

So, thanks devs! I may not know who you all are, but continue the good work behind the shadows.

eskimo

Post by eskimo »

Unfortunately the negative opinions are often the loudest, this is true with other forums too.

I love Openra. When i first loaded up TD and as able to play against an AI and opponent i wet myself. Sadly it was short lived as my graphics card couldn't handle it.

So i invested in a new build purely for this game (even if i did need to update my 2nd Gen I3 PC).But this game really encouraged me to do it.

I play Openra a lot, and there's always an abundance of games when i'm on. Everything the developers have done since i've been around i've been happy with. Even the playtest release i'm cool with, which has seen a lot of mixed reviews even.

And honestly, i think the engine is near flawless. Couple of little bugs around, but nothing major. You've all truly done a great job.