Someone Tampered with Artilleries Range

Balance issue

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Assist

Someone Tampered with Artilleries Range

Post by Assist »

I think there is a serious problem here.

Artilleries Range have more 2 cells than V2 rockets. I have the replays to demonstrate that.

This was in the "official maps"
Last week, I felt that we are back to the artilleries stronghold in terms of online gaming, but then I thought this issue is already fixed and maybe the other players coped very well.

then I played 1 game me being ally, it was obvious to me that something was wrong. I tested one artillery vs one V2 rocket in an official map. The results is that the artillery out-range the V2 by two cells....

So whats the story...

How do I upload the replays here so that you see my tests.

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

This has been the case for almost all of the time OpenRA has been around and no one said there were ever equal.

Assist

Post by Assist »

This now explains why I was never able to counter artillery attack with V2. It seemed that with soviets its always you go straight to tech in order to get proper counter for artilleries. V2 basically has no chance to defend against a base crawl with artilleries.

I quote
"Reduced the range of the Artillery from 14 to 12 cells"
from: https://github.com/OpenRA/OpenRA/wiki/C ... d56885c461

Arty Weapon:
I quote
155mm:
ReloadDelay: 85
Range: 12c0
MinRange: 3c0
from
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/OpenR ... liber.yaml

V2 Weapon
I quote

SCUD:
ReloadDelay: 240
Range: 10c0
MinRange: 3c0
from
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/OpenR ... siles.yaml

So in conclusion:
V2 weapon range = 10
Artillery weapon range = 12

jaZz_KCS

Post by jaZz_KCS »

Assist wrote: I think there is a serious problem here...

So whats the story...

So in conclusion:
V2 weapon range = 10
Artillery weapon range = 12
Your summary is correct. The "story" is as follows..: The artillery having (in the past "much", nowadays "slightly") bigger range than the V2 has been like that since forever in terms of ORA development. The artillery has higher range, whereas the V2 the higher dmg + reload time. I do not know for how long you have been playing ORA but the differences as they are between the vanilla arty ("Haha! ... You, my dear, are utterly useless!") and the OpenRA revised artillery have been there for a very long time. There was iirc no time in development history where they were equal, as Murto correctly stated, and it is one of the first things players new to OpenRA will notice that is wildly different from the original.

Your initial post suggests that you just found out about this now and think that this is a serious problem in terms of balancing. While I will stay far away from saying that the balancing of these two units is perfect, it is IMO far superior to the original game.
Yes, the range of the artillery in OpenRA has been the centerpiece of general discussions a lot of times throughout the last years, but there is no general consent in the community for their general stats/balance just being plainly wrong. The downgrade the artillery has received from 14 to 12 cells is yet another attempt to further "balance" the artillery. I say these words carefully, because there is NO counterpart in the Soviet army for the Allied artillery. The V2 launcher is NOT supposed to be the artillery's counterpart, as Murto correctly stated.

My personal two cents: The Allied artillery is a "pummeling device", whereas the Soviet V2 is an "ambush device". This is not to say that they both cannot be used to perform defense duty. But when it comes to being active in the field, these units could not be more different when it comes to play style. And this - I think - is pretty much intended.

"Someone Tampered with Artilleries Range" - Yes, but that was around 2010 or 2011, I cannot recall. But you have to understand that the difference of these units compared to their vanilla original have been around (more or less in this form) for quite some time. OpenRA is not a remake. OpenRA is a project that aims to "recreate and modernize."
Mo wrote: Also take into account accuracy of V2 >> accuracy of artillery
Last edited by jaZz_KCS on Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
RAGL -->Replay Archive<--

zinc

Post by zinc »

Allies need some sort of advantage(s) or no one would play them.

Mo

Post by Mo »

Also take into account accuracy of V2 >> accuracy of artillery