RAGL: Play of the Season

$20 prize (warning: spoilers!)

Announcements and discussion about community-run events.
noobmapmaker

RAGL: Play of the Season

Post by noobmapmaker »

click me >> VOTE FOR YOUR FAVOURITE UNTIL MAY 14th 2017 IN THIS TOPIC << click me.

Hey all!

Did some chatting with SoScared and he has tons of things to do and asked me to take over this part of the RAGL: The Play of the Season (PotS). Last year Gatekeeper won this award with his strong comeback against Barf. This year the prizemoney for the PotS has doubled: $20 for the winner!

During the season people may nominate a game or play that is:

a) a revolutionary play - new use of a unit/building/tech that was crucial in the game or killed an entire army
b) an amazing comeback from a hopeless situation
c) amazing micro or very subtle use of units
d) whatever you think is PotS-worthy

People may nominate multiple situations/games. From themselves, from opponents and even if you don't play in the RAGL you may nominate games. It goes without saying that all league games (recruit - minion - master) are elegible.

You can nominate a game or situation at any time during the season by posting a comment in this thread. Don't be humble: if you think your play was awesome, do post it!

An entry for the PotS has this format:

Replayname: [e.g.: RAGL-S01-MASTER-R01-ABC-DEF.orarep]
Time: [i.e.: when the awesome play was made]
Reason: [Please provide an explanation why you think it was good]

At the end of the season FiveAces and I will look through the nominated moments and pick the winner. Obviously our plays cannot be nominated and as far as I know we bear no grudge to any player (even if they have beaten me/5A). Our goal: find the most awesome moment of RAGL Season 2.

Also FiveAces and I will nominate moments, when we see a good one. But we cannot view all games and even if we watch a game we might miss that one great moment. So again: don't be humble.... post the moments you are proud of or post the games of others that you think are great.

Current nominated plays:
- Kyrylo vs Jayman - Round 1 - Desert Rats - Minion Division
Reason: Kyrylo did a phenomenal job of weaving in and out Chronotanks without losing many of them. Lots of clutch blinks, both offensively and defensively.
- Anjew vs Hamb - Round 5 - Northwest Passage - Master Division
Reason: A succesfull rush attack with grenadiers finishing the game in under 4 minutes.
- Smitty vs Lucasss - Round 6 - Northwest Passage - Recruit Division A
Reason: it’s one of those teachable ‘This is why we play to the end’ games.
- Raymundo vs Smitty - Round 5 - Tournament Island - Recruit Division A
Reason: swatting alot of infantry and dropping off Tanya
- Medium Tank vs Hamb - Round 4 - Sidestep - Master Division
Reason: placing mines in the natural expansion of his opponent, which resulted in 4 harvesters getting killed.
- Gatekeeper vs Fiveaces - Round 7 - Winter Storm - Master Division
Reason: high risk base puhes and moving across the map, accompanied with strong micro.
- Orb vs SirCake - Round 9 @12:50 - Dual Cold Front - Recruit B Division
Reason: In allready a strong position Orb does a succesfull engi-tech snipe, capturing both the Service Depot and Radar.
- Gatekeeper vs Medium Tank - Round 9 - Behind The Veil - Master Division
Reason: Winning a game by killing 1 harvester in the right place at the right time.
- Wee Man vs Orb - Round 8 - Northwest Passage - Recruit B Division
Reason: At around 8:00 things look bad for WeeMan: he lost map control, harvesters are getting picked off, Service depot lost. But in the couple minutes after he overturns the game. Very nice comeback!
- T vs Fahrrad - Round 10 - Sidestep - Minion Division
Reason: Fahrrad: It looked so good for me. I stole his expansion mcv. I was soviets and allies at the same time. He still managed to come back.
- FRenzy vs Han - Round 3 - Tournament Island - Minion Division
Reason: Han goes for a tech rush, to rush a shockies blob. Fortunately repelled it, thanks to seeing it in time ahead, and by overproducing Hinds. Then locking down in his base, even from sea.
- FiveAces vs Medium Tank - Round 11 @20:50 - Behind the Veil - Master Division
Reason: Seconds before my nuke was coming up, Medium Tank chronoed in 7 Chronotanks to assault the silo, and my army was out of position.
I knew I'd lose the silo, but GPS allowed me to figure out the exact return point of his chronotanks.
A split second before the silo went down, I managed to fire the missile on the return location,
melting his chronotanks into slag just upon arrival, blasting his entire army sky-high and allowing me to breach his base.
An extremely clutch situation that could have easily gone either way, and really impressive play from Medium Tank as well,
taking out my nuke and immediately switching over to my tech center upon realizing that the nuke had gone through.

- Smitty vs Lucasss - Round 6 - map? - Recruit A Division
Reason: Smitty came back from the grave to win that one!!
Last edited by noobmapmaker on Sun May 07, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 20 times in total.
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

jaymanxyz

Post by jaymanxyz »

Sounds great. I wonder who will win this season. :D

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

Great stuff! And remember guys, all RAGL replays are available through Jazz_KCS' fileserver!

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

*bump* for visibility

Question to everyone: which game did you think was very strong or exciting in the first couple rounds?

And to the players: what's your best game sofar?

FiveAces

Post by FiveAces »

So far, I really liked the chronotanks of Kyrylo in round 1 versus Jayman, did a phenomenal job of weaving in and out without losing many of them. Lots of clutch blinks, both offensively and defensively. Definitely worth watching!

jaymanxyz

Post by jaymanxyz »

FiveAces wrote: So far, I really liked the chronotanks of Kyrylo in round 1 versus Jayman, did a phenomenal job of weaving in and out without losing many of them. Lots of clutch blinks, both offensively and defensively. Definitely worth watching!
Oh yes, that was very good- had not thought of that. I couldn't keep up with his moves!

JOo

Post by JOo »

so you guys think an "unbalanced" (in terms of players) match should be the play of the season ? :o0:

kyrylo did leave the "masters" on purpose so he can win the "minions" ... get the money there and be #1 in atleast this division ... and now you seriously consider one of his replays as "play of the season" ? ... a replay that is against a player who actually is a division lower then kyrylo (in a serious comparison) ?

take a look at anjew as counterpart , he lost almost every match in the last RAGL-season ... and is still in the Masters ... and this time its not looking that good either .... but anjew isnt a cashgrabbing coward , though he could have easily set himself back ... start in a lower division and maybe even clear it with a good chance

think about it ... event though you play against a lot of less good players , so you have lots of time and possibilities to pull off a "good replay?" by trolling your enemy ... and using strats or tactics that under normal conditions , against a serious enemy (that fits your own level), wouldnt be that easy to pull off ... it can be considered a "Play of the Season" ?

that is just outrageous

FiveAces

Post by FiveAces »

JOo, that sounds awfully judgemental.
If you actually take your time to read NMM's post, he was specifically asking for matches we enjoyed watching, and I answered that.
Does not mean it's Play Of The Season material.

A good game regardless, and chronotanks are the unit with possibly the highest skill cap in the game -
knowing exactly when to blink offensively and when to retreat, as well as having to micro each chronotank individually,
is just on a different mechanical level than simply building a tank/inf blob and attack-moving it into the enemy base.

JOo

Post by JOo »

FiveAces : i remember beating you the other day ... in a 1v1 ... on Orelord ... because you did build cronotanks ... and you even said at the end to me : "re , now serious ?"

so is this a price for a "fun game" ? or a "serious game"?

cause in a serious balanced game , you actually dont have time for any fancy trolling actions ... you are under pressure ... and by that i dont mean a insincere pressure ... where a good player just acts like the game is balanced ... by putting himself in risky situations just for show

FiveAces

Post by FiveAces »

JOo, what relevance does that have to this thread? :?

NoobMapMaker was asking us about matches that we personally found exciting to watch,
and my answer was that I really enjoyed watching the Jayman versus Kyrylo matchup.
This is not a discussion thread about the viability of Chronotanks; in fact there's already a thread for that.

Plus, calling a respected member of the community a "cash-grabbing coward" is really bad style.
Kyrylo told multiple times that he opted out of the league last season because the pressure was too high;
the rules demand that he gets placed in a lower league after a forfeit.

JOo

Post by JOo »

FiveAces, what exactly is it , that you dont understand ?

NoobMapMaker asked for more then just ... "games that we enjoyed to watch" ... you can read everything here , (i will quote it just for you)
noobmapmaker wrote: During the season people may nominate a game or play that is:

a) a revolutionary play - new use of a unit/building/tech that was crucial in the game or killed an entire army
b) an amazing comeback from a hopeless situation
c) amazing micro or very subtle use of units
d) whatever you think is PotS-worthy
my point here is , that you "FiveAces" and "Jayman" himself ... are voting a "Play of the Season" match that has been played by a "Minion Player" ... and an "Ex-Master" (by quitting the season on purpose, not by losing his master-place because of poor performance) ... and Kyrylo simply put himself a division lower "on purpose" because he wanted to ...

and its a fact that he now is playing in the minions against weaker players instead of be someone with a spine and play against masters ... thats what makes him (for me) a cashgrabbing asshole blocking other good minion-players from eventually getting up the ladder ... not a valuable member of "the community"

and the fact that he built cronotanks just proves that he had enough time and or skill to do whatever he wanted ... against a minion player ...

what a great game , eh ? the

"PLAY OF THE SEASON" ... LADIES AND GENTLEMEN ... A MASTER PLAYS AGAINST A MINION AND HUMILIATES HIM AND ITS EVEN STREAMED .... EVERYONE CLAP AND LAUGH"

thats just ridiculous ... but of course , as long as its entertaining enough for your streams ... to get views and followers ... vote for it , right ?
FiveAces wrote: the rules demand that he gets placed in a lower league after a forfeit.
yeah , i see that it doesnt do any good when there is money involved in the minions ... as it allows master to step down and cash up whenever they want to (regardless of their intention to do so , or not) , also just blocking the way up for other potentially new masters (that is actually the worse part of it) ...

so , in case you still dont understand what this has to do with this thread ... i dont think that kyrylo vs jayman is worth to watch ... and i dont think that its worth to be considered as play of the season ... in favor of kyrylo

FiveAces

Post by FiveAces »

Microbit, you seem uncapable of comprehensive reading.

NoobMapMaker wrote in his recent bump:
Question to everyone: which game did you think was very strong or exciting in the first couple rounds?
, to which I replied by giving my honest assessment that the Jayman versus Kyrylo matchup was very exciting to watch.
No one got humiliated dude, it was a good and well-fought match.
You know I never livestream RAGL matches, right?
That's SoScared's domain, and he has all the rights in the world to do so seeing as he is the one who creatd the RAGL in the first place.
So stop spouting wrong accusations, be it against me, kyrylo or anyone else involved.

You seem terribly upset over something I don't really understand, so I'll leave it at that.
Those forums are usually a pretty chill and relaxed place, and I'd prefer for it to stay that way.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Watching some games. I'd like to nominate Anjew for his game against Hamb in Round 05 (Masters). In just a couple minutes his grenadiers finished Hamb off. Not revolutionary and the pillbox was badly placed, but that doesnt matter: he won a masters game in just a couple minutes.

Edit:
And Im afraid I disagree as well, Joo. Regardless of Kyrylo's past, present and future, he played a game that was noteworthy. Will it be good enough for the Play of the Season? Maybe yes, may be not. I assume and hope that there will come better moments.

BTW: especially people in the recruit: nominate your good moments, even against a weak player and even if you lost the game the play itself can be very good. The recruit games are watched less than the minion and masters games, so let us know which games have been good!

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

My most highlight worthy game so far has been vs lucassss in round 6 on Northwest Passage. Granted I should have been killed five times over but it’s one of those teachable ‘This is why we play to the end’ games.
I should probably be nice and nominate Raymundo for making me look a fool with his phase transports in our round 5 game on tournament island.

Blackened

Post by Blackened »

Smitty wrote: Raymundo for making me look a fool with his phase transports in our round 5 game on tournament island.

I would agree as well. Not only did he squish large swathes of your infantry but his tanya dropped sealed the game. Easily one of the better plays in our division so far.