Chronoshiftable naval transports

Discussion about the game and its default mods.

Should naval transports be chronoshiftable?

Yes
38%
Yes - but also kill tanks inside
38%
No
25%

Total votes: 16

abcdefg30

Chronoshiftable naval transports

Post by abcdefg30 »

I recently noticed that naval transports are not chronoshiftable.
(By wasting a chronoshift... as you can select them, but it has no effect.)

It doesn't make sense to me that naval transports aren't chronoshiftable as other naval units are.

Thus I filed a pull request to fix this: OpenRA/OpenRA#11869
This PR will also make tanks inside the transport survive the chronoshift. Infantry does not as usual.
(Infantry inside APCs/Rangers inside a naval transport will die as well.)

What is your opinion, Commanders? :D

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

This creates an exploitable situation where you can teleport a load of tanks into an enemy base, unload them, and then have them remain after the timer runs out and the transport returns.

MustaphaTR

Post by MustaphaTR »

Sleipnir wrote: and then have them remain after the timer runs out and the transport returns.
They don't have to, as i said on IRC. They should be effected by timer, back to base and possibly land on water and sink. I know current status on PR isn't this tho.

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

That opens up a pile of edge cases like: what happens if you load other units into the transport in the meantime?

MustaphaTR

Post by MustaphaTR »

They should sink at where transport cronoed to. Only transport should turn back. Leaves new unit at where chronoed transport was.

Edit: If such thing happens with a land transort, then passengers should just unload and transport should back.

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

Sleipnir wrote: This creates an exploitable situation where you can teleport a load of tanks into an enemy base, unload them, and then have them remain after the timer runs out and the transport returns.
This is similiar to the already existing "exploitable situation" where you teleport a MCV and then deploy it (and the Construction Yard doesn't get teleported back).
Of course having one "exploit" is not an excuse for adding another one, though.

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

There is also still OpenRA/OpenRA#8670.

lucassss

Post by lucassss »

it reminds me of something that I noticed, demo trucks don't explode when killed as part of a transport's death.

anjew

Post by anjew »

Sleipnir wrote: This creates an exploitable situation where you can teleport a load of tanks into an enemy base, unload them, and then have them remain after the timer runs out and the transport returns.
MCVs can already exploit the chronoshift but i guess that's considered a feature

abcdefg30

Post by abcdefg30 »

lucassss wrote: it reminds me of something that I noticed, demo trucks don't explode when killed as part of a transport's death.
That is another issue: OpenRA/OpenRA#11037 :)

JOo

Post by JOo »

MustaphaTR wrote: They should sink at where transport cronoed to. Only transport should turn back. Leaves new unit at where chronoed transport was.

Edit: If such thing happens with a land transort, then passengers should just unload and transport should back.
why would anyone want to crono a transport with tanks in it (instead of the tanks itself) ... when the tanks would land in the water if i unload the transporter ? ...
Last edited by JOo on Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MustaphaTR

Post by MustaphaTR »

I said that for if you put a non-chronoed unit in a chronoed transport and transport backs to original place.

JOo

Post by JOo »

or to basicly "crono" nuke-trucks ... that dont have to go back anyway ...

no thanks

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

yeah why not just fix it so the units die in the transporter - for consistency sake.

or perhaps Germany should be able to transport 65 tanks in 13 transports for an instant in-and-out D-Day.

anjew

Post by anjew »

Make MCV un-chrono-shiftable, it doesnt have to go back and often leaves an entire teams base defenses and production structures