When a unit can target less things it becomes stronger

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
lucassss

When a unit can target less things it becomes stronger

Post by lucassss »

Don't you find it weird? The reason why Tanya is so deadly is because she can't target non infantry, thus, tanks can't soak her shots. I would guess that limiting riflemen/rangers/pillboxes/apcs so that they can only target other infantry would make them stronger. The same goes for rocket soldiers.

Don't you think it's strange that a unit would become stronger by being handicapped in its abilities?

Theoretically the game dynamic where tanks soak damage for others could be kept if tanks functioned like moving concrete walls, blocking shots in their path.

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

Tanya is deadly because of her rapid fire and nearly one shot damage to infantry.

She is also capable of destroying buildings instantly along with bridges.

Limiting a unit to minimum capables doesn't make them incredibly strong.

lucassss

Post by lucassss »

Tanya's rapid fire would require much more micro if it was constantly diverted into tanks where it barely damages them.

Blackened

Post by Blackened »

lucassss wrote: Tanya's rapid fire would require much more micro if it was constantly diverted into tanks where it barely damages them.

That is really the key difference. The units wouldn't be stronger, there would just be less micro involved.

epice

Post by epice »

I just want units to prioritize their target by how effective they are vs it. But then everyone bitches about "MUH MACRO!!" and refuses to do anything.

Materianer

Post by Materianer »

Would be nice if there was an attack mode for specevic unit types.
push B and attack for attacking buildings
I infantry etc.

A artys (- ̮̮̃-̃)

anjew

Post by anjew »

epicelite wrote: I just want units to prioritize their target by how effective they are vs it. But then everyone bitches about "MUH MACRO!!" and refuses to do anything.
im not completely against it since it's used in Starcraft 2 but it might be a bit of effort for the devs

Sleipnir

Post by Sleipnir »

#3581. This has been discussed a lot in IRC over the years, but there's a very vocal group of people who object to the feature because it "makes the game play itself".

lucassss

Post by lucassss »

Sleipnir - and what about the idea of tanks serving as moving walls?

Also, once can improvize playtests of this by disabling allowed targets for some units, as I said above.

JOo

Post by JOo »

lucassss wrote: Sleipnir - and what about the idea of tanks serving as moving walls? .
tanks have a different armor then walls ... if you have the right units ... and micro them well , you can take those out ,before your enemy is benefiting from having his tanks absorbing damge that otherwise could hit a more vulnerable backline

so what i mean by that is ... you can bring down those tanks .... there is an answer to that ... while actually "real walls" are pain in the ass to get rid off

lucassss

Post by lucassss »

joo - or it can give a new role to artillery/v2, as they can fire over walls.

Declan

Post by Declan »

I support this, if rocket soldiers were in the range of both infantry and vehicles, they should target the vehicles first until they are all destroyed / out or range, then they should target infantry.

This should give more of an advantage to newer players who can't micro as much as more experienced players.

kyrylo

Post by kyrylo »

I agree that Tanya is OP. If Tanya should be deadly, then it must require some skill to use her. My solution is to remove the AttackAnything stance from her, so if you want to kill a lot of infantry, you have to micro her and click "attack" on every unit you want to kill. This will make Tanya's "a-move" aka "death march" impossible, which in turn should balance out the unit.

AoAGeneral1

Post by AoAGeneral1 »

High valued targets vs unit type makes them incredibly hectic. If I want rocket guys to shoot infantry then I want them to shoot infantry. Otherwise you get problems such as:

Rocket infantry shoot tanks because higher target. Aircraft comes over while Rocket Infantry shoot tanks and are mowed by air units. In which case does this become a higher value target?

If aircraft is chosen then what if they scout the Phase Transport. Would that not be a high value target? Would they then ignore such target shooting tanks instead?

This would also be incredibly annoying if they switched to a higher target when a unit is almost dead.

As for the mechanic of Tanya, she dies to air units incredibly fast and only able to build one. She isn't the unit type that can be sent alone out in the field and rank kills up. She has to be watched and moved around still regardless of units. Just because she shoots incredibly fast and is only able to target infantry does not make it an OP or strong unit. A bunch of other flaws outweigh her use.

Moving tank walls. This already has several flaws in it.

Not only can rocket infantry able to shoot over walls, but so can Mammoth Tanks, Grenadiers, Shockies, Phase Transports, Chrono tanks, Tesla Tanks, Flak Trucks, etc. A much longer and larger list of units can shoot over walls and this can become EXTREMELY broken really fast.

lucassss

Post by lucassss »

There is a good and common secnario where you would want to shoot a phase transport or an airplane or tank or whatever. However, there are very few scenarios where you want rocket soldiers to shoot infantry. This is way in my example I only disabled targetting of infantry (armor class None), which you didn't bring as an example. This would prevent the mostly useless state where rocket soldiers shoot infantry, and would allow micro to improve tactics by having the player decide on which vehicle is more important to hit.