[Tiberian Sun] marn edition

Information and discussion for custom maps and mods.
Marn

[Tiberian Sun] marn edition

Post by Marn »

Vanilla TS is in the works for years now, but wouldn't it be cool to have a version that is aesthetically polished and balanced at this point in time?
That is exactly what this mod is about, to make vanilla TS playable on a competitive level.
Still a lot of work to be done, but with every play-test I try to nail as many issues as I can while trying out new stuff, even some of the contributions that didn't make it in to the official bleed yet!

*New cameos were implemented, some were made from scratch and those that aren't I don't take credit for. Those are subject to change, but for now most of them look nice.

GDI
ImageImageImageImageImage

Nod
ImageImageImageImageImage

*A pretty recent addition is lingering flames, they appear only from energy, and fire death. Currently they don't do damage, but they do emit light and look pretty :)
*Obelisk seen a major overhaul in terms of beam visuals and damage mechanic. Right now it has two charges that fire in close succession to make it look like one shot, but if it has to fire at two different targets which it can kill in one shot the beam power splits between those shots. (similar to RA mod Tesla Coil)
*More of a subtle voxel change when it comes to separating Nod and GDI MCVs, and yes you can find both MCVs from crates and have both factions!

Image Image

*Juggernauts were added to GDI for balance reasons, along with custom voxels for the turret and barrels with separated recoil. Flash effect for gun shot explosions and superweapons is also a new addition.
*Ranking was redone as well. Similar to other openra mods we have 4 ranks but what's different is the weapon units gets when they reach elite rank. Elite weapon now is twice as effective than the original, and most units have one!

Image Image

*Tech buildings seen some change, you can capture them externally similar to ra mod. Furthermore, they now have flags (thanks to Nolt) to indicate that the player can capture them, and of course they will change the color accordingly.
*Garrison-able buildings and vehicles are also in an experimental stage (thanks to Murto for making a lua workaround to make it work! ). Not all buildings can be garrisoned, but only those that have a little white flag hanging out.

Image Image

*Added Tiberium damage type and death animation.
*Fixed missile launch animation, added missile sprite.
*Temporary replaced ion cannon animation with TD one(looks better)
*Crates were revamped. Power-up crates affect up to 12 nearby units in a larger radius. You can get any random unit including MCV of the other faction. Some crates will kill you so be careful, ask FiveAces.
*Building additional production structures now have the following bonuses, 25% , 20%, 15%, 10%, 5% having more than 6 buildings will not yield any production bonus.
*20% bounty was added, the percentage is subject to change.
*Newer maps that were made by me include Old Silos, which function as oil derricks when captured.
*Temperate civilian building husks were added, with flame overlay to indicate that it's been destroyed. It's also possible to clear them by force firing.
*Nod Mobile Repair Vehicle now has auto-target to be fast and effective along with extra cell range and pretty sparks ==> (Graions ideaâ„¢)
*Sensor array functionality was reworked to give you vision, so it's always handy to have one in your army composition.
*JumpJets can Fly! and fall... with smoke! tons of smoke!
*Thanks to teees we also have carryalls and working EMP cannons, both still need work in terms of polishing but they are miles better than having nothing :)
*Nod buggy now has a proper turret and a single spare seat to allow for early engineer harassment. The cost was adjusted of course.
*Both Banshees and Orcas can target air units.
*Its hard to think of more notable changes, but practically every unit was re-balanced, be it speed, weapon, or sight.

As always, most of the balancing is still work in progress just like in any mod, and anything could change at any given time! Keep an open mind :)

A Windows built version could be found here. (since this wasn't built on your machine antivirus might spew out warnings, ignore them)
Download WIN Version 37
https://www.dropbox.com/s/3t30gvmq65dgi ... 7.zip?dl=0

If you are not on Windows and know how to build openra bleeds, you can get a much lighter in size version from Git.(Still newbie when it comes to git, but at least it works!)
Download Version 37
https://github.com/Marnador/OpenRA-Marn-TS-Edition

Warning: this mod is rendering higher res sprites and voxels compared to official mods today, system requirements might be higher to run decently.
Last edited by Marn on Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:26 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Norman_

Post by Norman_ »

cool :)

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Great work, thanks Marn!
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

Awesome! :lol:

Marn

Post by Marn »

Thanks for the positive response :)

Version 34

A bit of a small update but I figured out more or less how the alpha palettes work.
That allowed me to finally make the green glow around blossom trees. Blue glow is less noticeable because of the warm global lighting but its there.
Obelisks and laser turrets also got a red flash when the laser hits.

Marn

Post by Marn »

What's new in Version 36

*Fixed stealth APC crash on unload.
*Fixed JumpJet crash when force firing on its own terrain cell.
*Remove inaccuracy from bazooka to counter JJs better.
*Nerfed light vehicle explosion to prevent massive chain explosion.
*Nerfed EMP cannon damage vs Aircraft and JJs.
*EMP cannon takes now 3 minutes to recharge instead of 2
*EMP cannon effect range slightly reduced
*EMP cannon effect time reduced.
*Rebalanced map TS-Holes. Starting location trees are now closer to spawn, and middle has now 1 tree instead of 3.
*Nod Obelisk now has a red glow coming from the crystal when shooting.

anjew

Post by anjew »

Thank you for the all the hard work Marn.
Look forward to testing out the new update.

Just a couple of suggestions:

The addition of the "Fist of Nod" and the "Mobile War Factory" would actually make for some really interesting late game play if you are interested in incorporating them.

I'm not sure if you copied TD with stealth detection (all inf + defence structures) however using Jumpjets as a stealth counter (like the update in firestorm) would make it interesting

The limpet drones would also be an interesting addition to be used for scouting, even if it just gave a speed loss + area vision.

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

I really like the way this mod is evolving although after last night's session i think that there is one bug problem that needs to be addressed.

Attacking isnt worth it about 90% of the time. I cna create a very large army and send it at you but a few defenses and units you can crush my entire army. Perhaps making structures weaker in general would fix this, meaning buildings can be chewed through if not adequately defended. Another option is to buff certain units vs buildings so that attackers would have army compositions that differed from defenders. Really like all the features and apreciate the time and effort you are putting into this!

Marn

Post by Marn »

anjew wrote: Thank you for the all the hard work Marn.
Look forward to testing out the new update.

Just a couple of suggestions:

The addition of the "Fist of Nod" and the "Mobile War Factory" would actually make for some really interesting late game play if you are interested in incorporating them.

I'm not sure if you copied TD with stealth detection (all inf + defence structures) however using Jumpjets as a stealth counter (like the update in firestorm) would make it interesting

The limpet drones would also be an interesting addition to be used for scouting, even if it just gave a speed loss + area vision.
I could play with mobile factory for sure, I hope it's possible in openra, have to test that.

Defenses can't see stealth, and Inf atm can detect in a 1 cell radius plus sensor arrays already fill up the stealth detection role. JJs are only 600 and I am afraid giving them stealth detection would make stealth tanks feature more useless.

As of this point I am clueless what limped drones can function as, within the realm of possible traits that is.
Murto the Ray wrote: I really like the way this mod is evolving although after last night's session i think that there is one bug problem that needs to be addressed.

Attacking isnt worth it about 90% of the time. I cna create a very large army and send it at you but a few defenses and units you can crush my entire army. Perhaps making structures weaker in general would fix this, meaning buildings can be chewed through if not adequately defended. Another option is to buff certain units vs buildings so that attackers would have army compositions that differed from defenders. Really like all the features and apreciate the time and effort you are putting into this!
I actually received a similar feedback from AoAGeneral but with a different soltion. I balanced base defenses really carefully according to their cost taking draw backs in to consideration such as lack of mobility and power consumption. What AoA suggested is increasing the build time and I am actually on the boat to try and test it, along with about 25% cost increase.
I am also thinking of a wacky test involving silos... Refineries will have only 500$ storage while silos will have like 4000$ or something. Sounds weird but that could make them more useful, and make storage more independent from the refinery which is how it should be logically speaking =p Silo sniping could be a thing if you want to cripple enemy's economy.
Last edited by Marn on Tue May 31, 2016 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Graion Dilach

Post by Graion Dilach »

Mobile War Factories are possible, just use Transforms as like an MCV. There isn't anything special in them ( besides disabling Sellable, RepairableBuilding etc) Even the AI can use them if you list it among the Mcv list in HackyAI (otherwise the AI will try to attack with them).

I'll look at this when I get the chance. I switched PCs last week though and right now I have the despised-by-gen2-mods-withz-crashing-during-terrain-load Intel HD 2000. >_>
AS Discord server: https://discord.gg/7aM7Hm2

ACM

Post by ACM »

Marn wrote: I am also thinking of a wacky test involving silos... Refineries will have only 500$ storage while silos will have like 4000$ or something. Sounds weird but that could make them more useful, and make storage more independent from the refinery which is how it should be logically speaking =p Silo sniping could be a thing if you want to cripple enemy's economy.
Do it!!!
I'm not kidding, you have to do this! Like why does no one do this!?
:pussky:

SMIFFGIG

Post by SMIFFGIG »

This looks great 8)
The un-offical addon for Tiberian Sun

Marn

Post by Marn »

ACM wrote: Do it!!!
I'm not kidding, you have to do this! Like why does no one do this!?
:pussky:
Right on =p

What's new in Version 37

*[Experimental] Build time speed bonus got reversed. Now additional production buildings start with a smaller bonus that gets gradually bigger. That is done to be more rewarded for maxing out production yet more risky, because when you loose your 6th factory your production will be cut 25% and 20% for loosing 5th.
The list is 100% 95% 85% 70% 50% 25%
*[Experimental]Refineries now only store 500$(not enough even for a single unload) but silos can store 5000$ That is done in attempt to make silos do what they should be doing, storing Tiberium.
*Silo price bumped to 500$
*Silo build time was increased to double its value
*MCVs now needs tech center just like before (played a few games and expanding felt too easy)
*GDI Titans and Nod Tick Tanks now need radar to be built.
*Defensive buildings build time was increased by 25%
*Swapped icon order between Tick Tank and Repair Vehicle.
*Replaced some cameos, tweaked others.

Kwendy

Post by Kwendy »

There were some issues with mismatch of combat speed and base building.
Maybe build time should decrease for better game dynamics?
Also funny thing with multiple units commands.
If you send infantry to capture civilian building - first one will capture it, but others will cancel movement since it's not the building they were taught to enter (not neutral anymore). Simillar bug with the gates - only first tank passing through, but other getting stuck as they can't open alredy opened gates.

enepomnyaschih

Post by enepomnyaschih »

Questions about map editor:
  1. How to select elevation level for a new tile?
  2. Where can I find tiberium bloom to place?