Map Design Contest

April - June ($70 prizepool!)

Announcements and discussion about community-run events.
noobmapmaker

Map Design Contest

Post by noobmapmaker »

Quick link to the current entries. You can submit your maps untill June 2016.

Welcome to the Map Design Contest!

This will be a contest to create awesome maps! Anyone is allowed to make maps and a jury + popular vote will choose the best maps and those get awarded real dollars: $40 for the nr1, $20 for the runner up and $10 will be for one of the category winners, randomly drawn during the SoScared stream.

* Edit: SoScared added $50 to the prizepool! (+$20 by NoobMapMaker)

Maprules
- It is advised (but not mandatory) that your map is equal for all players/teams. It can be symmetrical or asymmetrical, but players should have (somewhat) equal chances.
- Making changes to the .yaml and adding .lua files is allowed, but the creator has to explain exactly what the changes do to facilitate judging the map.
- It can have any amount of players (even or uneven).
- Maps for all mods are allowed.
- Maps that are obviously very low effortmaps (full of visual glitches, random placed stuff, pointless maps, etc) will not be entered in the competition.
- Old maps from resource center are not allowed, only new maps that work in the latest official release (v. 20151224).

The Jury Rules

- A jury consisting of SoScared, Anjew and NoobMapMaker will judge all the maps and list them in their personal favorite order.
- At the start of July a poll will be posted where all Sleipnir users can vote on their favorite map, resulting in a popular vote list.
- The last map will get 1 point, second to last 2 points, etc.
- All scores from the 3 jury members + popular vote will be added and the maps with the highest scores win the contest.
- Jury members may not enter maps

Map Entry Format
- To prevent bias the players will enter their maps anonymously. Send your map (.oramap file) + a link to the screenshot to me and I will upload it to the resourcecenter and post it in the designated thread*.
- Extra screenshots of specific parts of the map are allowed, but not mandatory
- If you have made adjustments to the .yaml or added a lua file then state the exact effects of the changes
- You may assign your map to a maximum of two categories
- You may enter multiple maps to increase your chance of winning.

Contest Information
The contest starts in April and lasts untill the 30th of June 23:59 GMT. Untill that date you can enter your maps. In the 2 weeks thereafter the maps will be judged and people can vote for their favorite maps. July 15th the winners will be presented.

Monetary rules
- $40 for the nr1, $20 for nr2 and $10 will be for one of the category winners. The category winner ($10) will be randomly drawn during a SoScared stream from the pool of category winners that have not ended 1st or 2nd.
- Prizes will be paid using PayPal. If we are unable to transfer it because the winner doesn't have PayPal or never responds (or refuses), the money will be used for future OpenRA contests/tournaments.

Categories
The creators of the maps may assign up to two categories to their maps. In the overall ranking the maps that ended highest in their category will be entered in the lottery for the $10 during SoScared's livestream. Maps that allready won a 1st of 2nd prize do not enter the lottery and the next highest ended map in the category will enter the random draw.

- 1v1
- 2v2
- Big maps (3v3 and bigger)
- Single player (mission)
- Modded Multiplayer map
- FFA map
- Jury pick by deliberation: The most beautifull map
- Dune2000
- CnC
- Red Alert (RA)

* I think I am able to resist bias and just sort the maps on my preference. However, if you want to help out by being the person that recieves and uploads the maps + post them in the thread, then please let me know! Also when the contest is finished I will delete the maps and people may reupload them so their name is rightfully attached to the map.

Map Entry Format sum-up
- Send me a PM (see button below this post or use this link)
- Attach the .oramap file
- State the name of the map
- Assign the map to two of categories listed above
- Upload the screenshot to Imgur and send me the link
- If the .yaml is changed or a .lua file is added, state exactly what the changes do
I (or a volunteer) will upload the maps to the resource center and post them in a specific thread.
- Make sure to replace your name with "Anonymous" when naming the map! Or else your name shows up when I upload it to the Resourcecenter.
Last edited by noobmapmaker on Mon May 30, 2016 11:15 am, edited 19 times in total.
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

AmericanBlunt_

Post by AmericanBlunt_ »

Multiplayer and single player maps?

klaas

Post by klaas »

Nice idea!

If this works out, I think the winning map should become a official map, just because.
Boba West wrote: Multiplayer and single player maps?
Actually, it would also be nice to make a contest for the coolest mission. Or the best custom game. I think including them in this comp would make it a bit difficult to pick the nicest one though.

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

So we submit our maps to you AND you are on the jury? :o0:

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Well, my list will be 1/4 th of the total (Anjew + Soscared + me + popular = total) and I think I can resist bias - I have no foes or people I dislike and no interest in choosing a bad map to befriend someone. But if someone volunteers to upload the maps we can be sure there is no bias. I don't think there will be more than 20 maps. So in 3 months the person has to upload and post that amount of maps approximately. Any volunteers? Let me know!

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

Ok, thanks for clearing that up! :D

Norman_

Post by Norman_ »

great! :)

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

I don't know :D what do others think about this?

As Klaas said: it may make it difficult to compare/judge missions with other maps. But more missions are always nice!

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

noobmapmaker wrote:
I don't know :D what do others think about this?
I say go for it! Modded maps, including single player maps, may be harder to judge based on the amount deviation from regular play and thus takes a little more effort to test. However if done well it may earn an edge in the competition. I also like the idea to pull in more participants from a wider field of interest.

kyrylo

Post by kyrylo »

Very interesting idea, but I reckon that final results would be better if we had nominations. For example: "best modded map", "best minigame","best 1v1 map", "best 2v2 map" etc. It's quite hard to "create any map". People need limitations, so they can compete :)

At the moment the format is very broad, in my opinion.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

kyrylo wrote: For example: "best modded map", "best minigame","best 1v1 map", "best 2v2 map" etc.
Sounds like a great idea to have these nominations in addition to the cash prizes.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Yeah we could do some informal /honorary category winners as well (which btw would emerge from the sum of the jury + popular vote automatically because we could just point out what is the highest 1v1 map on the list, the highest 2v2, etc.)

Creating categories might limit creativity? But also an incentive to create more rare maps perhaps.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Ok, so I'm thinking which categories could get honorary mentions:
- 1v1
- 2v2
- Big maps (3v3 and bigger)
- Single player (mission)
- Modded Multiplayer map
- Uneven players map FFA map
- Jury pick by deliberation: The most beautifull map
- ?
Last edited by noobmapmaker on Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

Uneven players maps might be defined as FFA maps. There might be some crossovers but I think that's just gonna add to the competition (e.g. one map working both as 2v2 and FFA).

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Updated! One problem to solve: what to do with maps that are multiple category maps? A modded 2v2 map that is suited for FFA for example.