Murto's Maps

*Tower Defence*

Discussion about the game and its default mods.
Murto the Ray

Murto's Maps

Post by Murto the Ray »

[font=Arial]Murto's Maps[/font]

Tower Defence Update!

Tower defence has been updated and so has the documentation! See below.

Links to all relevant maps i have created are below:

Advanced Maps - Maps with some form of modding
  • Tetris: An implementation of Tetris in the OpenRA engine. Currently needs updating.
    ADVANCED
  • Tetris Multiplayer: Tetris but multiplayer! This one is great if you are looking to play with friends. Needs a bit of polish and has a few bugs.
    ADVANCED
  • Tower Defence: A simple tower defence game created using a few self-made assets. The script, rules, weapons and SHPs can be copied to any RA map. A guide on how to use the assets can be found here.
    ADVANCED
Retired Maps - Maps i won't be working on in future
  • Garrisonable Buildings Showcase: A showcase of how garrisonable buildings can be achieved using the current features of the OpenRA engine.
    RETIRED ADVANCED
  • Islotropolis TS (with garrisonable buildings): A well known 3 player TS map with garrisonable buildings enabled via a script.
    RETIRED ADVANCED
  • Platform Plinkers I: A map i created a couple of years ago. As a result it isn't a great map although it is fairly balanced.
    RETIRED
  • Platform Plinkers II: The successor to Platform Plinkers I, balanced but not great to play on.
    RETIRED
  • 9-Bit: Another old map that i thought might be fun. It isnt.
    RETIRED
  • Over the Ridge: An old map that has a bit of competitive value although games grind to a stalemate quickly.
    RETIRED
  • Styrian Mountains 2: My attempt at a successor to the Styrian Mountains default map. This is a competitive map which features many expansions and routes to attack the opponent. Navy is possible but only in a small part of the top pond.
    RETIRED
  • [Monster Mayhem] Facility: My first modded map. Very simple minigame where up to 4 rangers must kill a flame spitting ant.
    RETIRED ADVANCED
  • Forest Generation Test 2: A showcase of a cellular automata algorithm being used to generate a random forest on a map. The script can be re-purposed for different maps, densities, actor types and features.
    RETIRED ADVANCED
Last edited by Murto the Ray on Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:06 pm, edited 43 times in total.

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

For screenshotting big maps, use fraps and take multiple shots and combine them in MS Paint with cut and paste. Remember to use CTRL+Shift+H to disable in-game UI for better screenshots. A bit tedious but it works well.

Gem mines in the ore patches is an interesting move. Looks like a high resource map then, perhaps enabling the players take the sea route in addition to ground armies. My main concern would perhaps be the path towards your opponent - the expansions are safe and covers the path to your main base. Easy to defend. Although it's hard to say, the map is pretty diversified. Needs playtesting!

Marn

Re: Murto's Maps

Post by Marn »

Murto the Ray wrote: Also, how do you take a picture of the entire map at once? I don't have a big enough monitor to see it all at once.
I believe in the map editor on top left of your screen you can change your zoom level, just switch it to 0.5 or lower and it should shrink it enough to fit it all in, then print screen :) but that's in case you just want a small map preview that is.

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

Marn wrote: -Snip-
I get graphical glitches when I do that :(

Thanks SoScared, will try that out. The gem patches are purely experimental and are an attempt at keeping players going in the late game. If they don't work I will get rid of them :)

The first expansion is designed such that it is reasonably easy to take but can also be harassed. The middle mud bridges also allow for the players to cut between the spawn and expansion to attack each other.

Navy is not intended to be a big deal and I will probably add more sea debris to prevent it beside the spawns.

Marn

Post by Marn »

Murto the Ray wrote: I get graphical glitches when I do that :(
No worries, if you had no luck still I hope this helps.

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Seems like a fun map. An aesthetic detail: perhaps instead of only rocks in the center (to prevent basebuilding I assume there could also be placed some trees. Or fewer rocks, I think if you place half the amount of rocks (/debris) on the right spots it's still close to impossible to build a base there and it looks slightly better.

Other than that it seems like a good 1v1 map!
Playlist with ALL games of the Dark Tournament Youtube.com/CorrodeCasts
Consider supporting OpenRA by setting a bounty or by donating for a server

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

btw isnt ctrl-P the key to take a screenshot of the map? I believe there is a control like that.

PizzaAtomica

Post by PizzaAtomica »

Murto the Ray wrote:
Marn wrote: -Snip-
I get graphical glitches when I do that :(
Yeah same here, I always take seperate screenshots at the 'second most zoomed-in' level and stitch them together in Photoshop, but I think any image editor can be used.

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

Updated Styrian Mountains 2 with larger passages, less eco and an ice floe to prevent naval harass at spawn.

JOo

Post by JOo »

although i actually made the "gem-mine" graphics ... i was never a fan on having them ingame :D

the map looks damn fine to me ... considering that we allready have enough boring symmetrical maps , so this here gives a fresh breeze InMaFace

i would +1 if you make a pull-request on github

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

JOo wrote: although i actually made the "gem-mine" graphics ... i was never a fan on having them ingame :D

the map looks damn fine to me ... considering that we allready have enough boring symmetrical maps , so this here gives a fresh breeze InMaFace

i would +1 if you make a pull-request on github
I need to have it playtested a few more times to see how it plays out with the changes. Would love to see one of my maps in the default pool though :)

Also: Added a couple of rebalanced maps. Arctic Triangle affair isn't complete but i want to know how the current ore placement plays out.

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

Big update! :D

noobmapmaker

Post by noobmapmaker »

Tower Defence: A simple tower defence game created using a few self-made assets. The script, rules, weapons and SHPs can be copied to any RA map. A simple subtraction of the towers definition in the rules will allow the rules, script and weapons to be copied over to any OpenRA map for any mod. The script includes several variables marked with "OPTION" which can be set by the user. A proper tutorial on how to use these assets - as well as a download for the non-modified assets - will be added soon.
NEW MODDED SCRIPTED
Awesome! As soon as I got time I will give it a shot to build a tower defense map. I think RA give great oppurtunity to create a very fun Tower Defense minigame with the various possibilities in waves.

Think Fort Lonestar, but with the goal to prevent any units from going through and building stuff.

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

Added tutorial link to Tower Defence!

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

Tower Defence's primary features are almost complete. I'd like to hear suggestions on any more customisation options that people would like :)

Also added new 1v1 map "Highlands"