New comcast tournament, comment your interest

Announcements and discussion about community-run events.

Would you play

I Would play a different format
3%
I Would NOT play
45%
I Would play
52%

Total votes: 33

Ripsn

New comcast tournament, comment your interest

Post by Ripsn »

Its that time again people

FiveAces & SoScared from the Comcast Shoutcast team are teaming up with Ripley` for another Bullet filled nuke-fest of epic clusterfuck proportions.

And in keeping with our usual OpenRA flair, there is a twist.
[align=center]
Introducing: the comcast Tag team tournament.[/align]

Teams of 2 going head to head in a 1 v 1 / 1 v 1/ 2 v 2 Series

Team members will battle their own 1 v 1, followed by a combined 2 v 2.

This format offers for alot of Screen smashingly awesome games to cast..

More information to follow. please register your interest so we can get this ball rolling.

Cheers
Ripley`

klaas

Post by klaas »

This sounds like an AWESOME format, I'd love to play, hope to find the time at the right moment.

kyrylo

Post by kyrylo »

We don't have enough good 2v2 maps. What's the map pool?

Mo

Post by Mo »

I'd be interested :)

Kyrylo, you've gone way ahead of me since we first started together, but perhaps you want that tag team partner like old times? ;)

PersianImmortal

Post by PersianImmortal »

A Tournament named after this most despised ISP in the states nice
Looks fun though.

Murto the Ray

Post by Murto the Ray »

Sounds good to me :P

SoScared

Post by SoScared »

IT'S HAPPENING!
kyrylo wrote: We don't have enough good 2v2 maps. What's the map pool?
The official 4 player maps aren't very good I agree. There's actually a great deal of good maps for 2v2's but you'll have to use many of the 6 and 8 players maps. E.g. official maps such as Asymmetric Battle, Cold Front, Doughnut, Haos Ridges, Vegetation. Plenty of custom maps too I'm sure.

Perhaps a preset map pool for 2v2's would make it all more helpful.

FiveAces

Post by FiveAces »

Alright, let's grab our can openers and crack this Pandora's Box that is the upcoming Tag Team Tournament!

The general idea was to have a competitive 1v1/2v2 format
that would result in interesting and competitive matches without excluding newer players.

SoScared and myself will provide a prize pool, split 60/30/10 between 1st/2nd/3rd place;
it is currently expected to be around $ 150 total.

Keep in mind that this is just a sneak preview and not the official tournament thread yet,
as we are still not 100% sure on the whereabouts and important cornerstones of this new format;
thus, some things detailed in this thread might still be subject to change
(The name, for example, is just something I came up with because I couldn't resist the temptation of the CCCC alliteration.)

We will try to expand the map pool before the tourney kicks off;
until further notice, here's a non-comprehensive 2v2 map pool:

(Some 6-player maps are included, as they work just as well in a 4-player setting)

Our detailed setup and schedule (including marketing, announcement videos and timeframe)
will be revealed in due time; expect this event to take place late February!

Cheers!

FiveAces

kyrylo

Post by kyrylo »

Mo wrote: Kyrylo, you've gone way ahead of me since we first started together, but perhaps you want that tag team partner like old times? ;)
Ehhm, "started together" sounds a bit strong. :?

We've played about 2-3 games like 3 months ago, sure. That said, I am not 100% sure if I'll be participating (but I voted "yes"). :P
SoScared wrote: The official 4 player maps aren't very good I agree. There's actually a great deal of good maps for 2v2's but you'll have to use many of the 6 and 8 players maps. E.g. official maps such as Asymmetric Battle, Cold Front, Doughnut, Haos Ridges, Vegetation. Plenty of custom maps too I'm sure.

Perhaps a preset map pool for 2v2's would make it all more helpful.
That definitely works (and I suspected this would be the answer), but we still need more good 2v2 maps. Maybe not for this particular tourny, but for future tournies. By the way, I have made one 2v2 map - Sandspit. I agree its design is not conventional but on this map you can actually see navy clashes :) I am happy to fix balance issues or make small layout changes if needed.

Ripsn

Post by Ripsn »

Thankyou all for your comments and questions. scoping out interest is what this thread was about, and by the looks of it there is a solid ' YES '

thankyou for clearing things up FiveAces.

obviously there is much conversation and organization to be had. so as mentioned above

[align=center]WATCH THIS SPACE. [/align]

raymundo

Post by raymundo »

I like the format of the tournament, I am definitely in! I think the last tournament I played in was a bit flawed because it was ffa, our matches were 3 teams of 2 and that can be a bit unbalanced. This isn't to say it was not fun though!

I am going to to try making some new 2v2 maps, they may not be good enough for a tournament but that remains to be seen!'

edit: wow actual cash prize? hell yes!

Ripsn

map making *Shower thought*

Post by Ripsn »

raymundo :
"I am going to to try making some new 2v2 maps, they may not be good enough for a tournament but that remains to be seen!''
maybe the trick there is to focus on one map until it is perfect rather than a few because its fun =)

too many people, not naming normans, oops i mean not naming names , tend to pump out a lot of quick half-baked maps rather than focusing on one and getting it perfect.

which is what we need.
imho

anjew

Post by anjew »

Is this is Red Alert only?

Norman_

Re: map making *Shower thought*

Post by Norman_ »

Ripsn wrote: raymundo :
"I am going to to try making some new 2v2 maps, they may not be good enough for a tournament but that remains to be seen!''
maybe the trick there is to focus on one map until it is perfect rather than a few because its fun =)

too many people, not naming normans, oops i mean not naming names , tend to pump out a lot of quick half-baked maps rather than focusing on one and getting it perfect.

which is what we need.
imho
i wonder if this ripley ever uploaded a good map.. i remember i saw one ripley map loong time ago but it was also only a shit map lol
norman made some nice td maps with everything a good map needs. he worked really hard and a long time on some single maps, so i have to mention this lol but true, most of the old ra maps ive uploaded are ugly, unfinished and just shiiiit.
maybe 10% of the 129 maps i made are good/ perfect ones
whoops

shpooky

Post by shpooky »

sounds fun :P count me in